Saturday, August 29, 2020

Stove Capers

 If you're cooking and baking a lot as I seem to be, the stove starts showing it. And if you haven't let your lovely cleaning family in since March, it looks a bit pathetic. 

So I improved the shining hour and the top has emerged looking much better.  The stove door glass, after ammonia, fans, open windows, soaking, scraping, wiping, cursing, sighing, yielded to force majeure and now you can see through it.

Which reveals a little problem, namely spider webs.

 These are a constant in this climate so it's not surprising. There's a narrow gap at the bottom of the door, through which they moved in.

 You can't actually get into the inside because it's so close to the floor you can't insert anything to clean with. I've tried wire with cloth attached, small bottle brush, and everything meets the same problem. Physics.

So I thought, maybe I even have to take off the door and insert something like a yardstick or something, with a rag firmly attached, and wave it about? 

Bothering my silly little head, no doubt there's a Better, a Manly Way to do this. Aside from the fact that I would need a burly man to lift this heavy door off its hinges without dropping it. 

YouTube. Official instructions. First this is a two person job. Remove the door. Okay, I unearthed the manual, I know how.

And then, here comes the Manly Official Way to clean inside the door of a high end appliance. See the yardstick, cloth attached, being waved about?

Does this strike anyone as a major design fail? Someone who had never cleaned an oven "designed" this.  This is the best they can do? 

If I had a burly man in residence this might be what he gets to do this afternoon. I bet he's glad he doesn't live here.


8 comments:

  1. The bottom of my oven is corroding. I am thinking I won't bother cleaning it because eventually it will all just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our stove door needs to be done too. It has to be taken apart though. It won’t be done very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine didn't have any issues, but it's been a while since I cleaned the oven. I use it very little in the summer. I don't bake goodies because I can't eat them with my Type 1 diabetes and while I love to roast veggies and potatoes, I don't do it much in the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning the stove top is nearly an obsession. Changing the burner trays is sometimes the only way to have them look nice. Cheap stove is my guess. The oven, what a mess and hassle that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'd think the spiders would end up being cooked inside there with all the heat when the oven's on. I've never attempted to take the oven door off after a giant debacle many years ago when I accidentally leaned on my open oven door and it sprung off the hinges on one side. I had to hold the door in place because it wouldn't come off or go back on and scream for help. Luckily a neighbour heard me and was able to manhandle the door back into place. Since then I have a huge fear of what might happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the kind of scenario I wondered about. That awful stuck point where you wish you hadn't embarked on this in the first place. Because now you can't get it to the second place.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!