Sunday, August 30, 2020

Gardening and future planning

 Too tired for my scheduled exercise, sat about for a bit, then thought I'm not too tired to water the downstairs plants.

Famous last words.

I watered, then a few minutes later noticed a small flood around the plants. There ensued mopping, moving, wiping, discovering that the plant sitting inside a wicker container was busily leaking. 

When I tried to move it to the patio to see what was what, the wicker container fell apart. Ah.  So new saucer for the plant, then I turned my thoughts to the hanging spider plants in the kitchen.

 And, here's the planning part: since I have to climb steps to reach and lift them off the hook to water in the sink and drain, then muscle them back up again, it's time to think again.

The smaller one, aside from needing to be repotted, is lighter and less likely to drag me off the steps with its weight when watered. So that can hang there for now.

 I'm starting to have other plans for those hangers now, involving S hooks and dowels and kitchen utensils. Watch this space.

For the bigger plant, I found a new pot, desperately needed, poor thing totally rooted and weary, and repotted it with fresh soil. In a bigger pot. Which I definitely am not going to climb up and down with.


 A handy studio stool is now in a new home. The plant is looking around at her new friends.  And a dreaded task is done.  

While I was doing all this hauling and sweeping after the potting was done, I thought I might as well, on a roll now, package and label my seeds.


 They're now in a dark kitchen drawer away from the stove. I might even start them in winter just to get a bit of foliage, we'll see.

All in all I might as well have done the exercise. Funny how you find energy for what you feel like doing, but just too tired for what you don't feel like. And I'm rationalizing that all this frenzy of activity counts.

12 comments:

  1. You got a good workout and a happy plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being active counts, at least in my book. Great job accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like people telling me what I want to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful patio window, lovely plants

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update on the cornmeal cookies: well received by handsome Son who raided the tin for another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have to believe movement of any sort counts. Your plants remind me that I've started thinking of when to move my outdoor plants inside. I dealt with little bugs (gnats) all winter and I wonder if I missed some important step in bringing them in. We weren't swarming with gnats, but there always seemed to be one flying around bugging me. It looks like you have a perfect spot there for your potted plants indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually bring my ficus tree in in late September. That's another big job, since she has driven roots through the pot so I'll have to saw them before I can move her. And she gets so big during the summer that it's exciting getting her back in.

      Delete
  7. i have heard of this device: https://odditymall.com/plant-caddie-pulley-system

    which is a bully system that lowers plants for watering!!!

    i don't know about a garden for next year. 2 years in a row my garden has done poorly!! nice to hear that your handsome son enjoyed the cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is that plants also need to drain. Hence watering in the sink. And yes, it was good to see him enjoying the cookies.

      Delete
  8. oh yes it absolutely counts. just like I tell myself when I get up too late (that's my excuse) to do my yoga routine. I need to do some plant repotting but still too murderously hot and humid out there. it just drains me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say it definitely counts! Lucky you to be able to grow spider plants - I've killed more than I care to count.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!