Friday, August 28, 2020

Urgently needed cookies

 I'm conscientious about always having a little something in the house to go with a cup of tea, because, weekly, Handsome Son comes with groceries late in the day, and refreshments are called for.

I used to invite him weekly to a three course from scratch dinner, the leftovers from which were my meals for the next couple of days. These went over so well I learned to reserve some of the meal, or there might not be any leftovers! 

Now my energy level has changed, my shopping obviously has, so it's Nice Baked Goods and a Pot of Tea with its own Cosy. 

Anyway I'm so tired of banana bread and chocolate cake and muffins of all nations, so I sought out a new cookie. New to me, that is. You've probably been baking them for donkey's years. Cornmeal cookies.

Anyway it's one of those recipes that goes several times around the block nattering about how many times it took to get it right, what their spouse thought, if the kids liked it, how their mother inlaw admitted defeat and finally gets to the actual recipe. 

I realize this is all about making room for advertising which is income. Also that a lot of steps online cooks put in are just to leave their mark but don't matter to the food. And I've left their credit in my pic so you can follow up if you want


This is actually quite good. It includes caster sugar, which I don't have, but I figured it's just fine sugar, and I shoved some granulated sugar in the grinder and turned it into fine sugar, which I declared caster.

 It also makes more volume when you grind it, and I remeasured and now have a bit of backup caster sugar in the cabinet along with the regular granulated. 

It uses brown sugar which I likewise don't buy, just add a spoonful of molasses to granulated, works the same.

And I did the flour half white half whole-wheat, as well as the cornmeal, that is.

She gives extensive instructions on how to mix, but really just cream the butter and sugar, add in the egg, the dry ingredients gradually, done. It makes little difference beyond that.

Here's the result, usual party overflow on a separate little sheet.

And cooling on my single rack, with a stand-in broiler rack playing the role of wire rack. 

The bit that fell off in transit is cook's privilege, eaten right away.

Crunchy outside, honey-like inside. Pretty good. Yes, adding these to the repertoire.


11 comments:

  1. I think I would really like those.
    I just put a blueberry pie in the oven. We shall see if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised if it wasn't! These cookies might go over nicely with the kids in your family.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you get to sit and tea and cookies with your son. He’s a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty nice that he's willing to spend time after doing the shopping and unloading it into the fridge etc. Yes.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it fascinating how the men in our lives have pulled up their socks and discovered grocery stores...? Mine never got beyond the beer and bread aisle, and now he's become The Shopper, and when this is over I may have to sneak out to buy groceries. He Makes Lists. He shops three stores, and keeps track of what is cheapest and where. He's exhausting, but he seems to like the challenge.

    The cookies look wonderful and I'd be out there baking but cornmmeal disagrees with me, big time. Agreed about the molasses in the sugar, once I tried that I found store brown sugar to be much too harsh and bitter. i use it on english muffins in the morning.

    My mother was a great frosting fan. If she could bake it, she could frost it, and often did. As she would say, "it keeps better" which is true, but also a walloping excuse to frost cookies, gingerbread, brownies...Where Im going with this is, those look as if a drizzle of frosting would go a treat on them. Even make little cookie sandwiches. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious view of Rod becoming an Expert Shopper! Handsome Son's been shopping and cooking for himself for 30 years, is very good at bargains, shops Aldi for this, other places for that. His lists are different from mine though, do mine have been more of a learning curve.

    I don't like frosting enough to put it on cookies, but I can see getting into a frosting groove. I'm the daughter of a professional cake decorator, saw too much of all of it. Like working in a candy store, you don't need to eat it!
    I'm looking forward to Handsome Son's review of these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting. I would never have put cornmeal and cookie together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither until I found this recipe. It's crunchy and a bit grainy, really nice.

      Delete
  6. sound good, look good...only the cornmeal or polenta, i don't usually have on hand!!

    i always try to cook for both of my boys but for me, it has also become more difficult!!

    one is in texas and he rarely visits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just this year I got into a cornbread thing, and now cornmeal is suddenly a staple. Otherwise I wouldn't have it either.

      Delete
  7. Those look SO good! I love cornmeal in pretty much anything and no, I don't like cookies (hah, and if you believe THAT......)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!