Monday, August 31, 2020

Caramelized onions and future plans

 I got an email from my library cook book book club, Bite Club,  mentioning quiche using caramelized onions and leeks among other things. No leeks, not a fan of quiche with a crust, but anyway.. 

I had found myself baking bread,  reluctantly, as planned (whole-wheat, white, oatmeal), and thought well, caramelizing onions is slow and dull if you do it right, so while I'm waiting for bread to bake, now's the time.

Grated a couple of frozen onions -- no tears that way -- and the last of the farm potatoes, salt, garlic, curry powder. Olive oil, then a knob of butter on top

 Started it hot to sear as usual, turned it way down and scraped a bit now and then, otherwise left it alone while I had a pot of tea and a cookie.

By the time the bread baked, the onion stuff had reduced to this. Not as brown as onions alone because of the potato.

Then the bread put in an appearance

I couldn't resist showing off the spiffy stove. And noticed that the cleaner hinges also let the door open a lot more suddenly. This nearly resulted in clouting my knee and skidding the loaf off the rack faster than I expected.  But all is well.

Q

The connection between fresh bread and the lovely onion potato mix is that before long there will be cheddar cheese and onion sandwiches, toasted on the pan where the caramelizing happened.  It already smells great.

Supper is planned, almost accidentally. Also a couple more.

14 comments:

  1. Checking in after supper to report it was great. Not pretty, one of those meals that don't look scenic but are wonderful to eat. Toasted both sides of the bread then inserted cheddar cheese and onion mix and did it again.
    Definitely worth the work with the onions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks delicious. I love onion so the sandwich sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend this. It's the sandwich version of cheese and onion pie.

      Delete
  3. Carmelized onions are treat.
    Waiting for onions to even saute, not a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. You have to let them go slow so long. I always want to be doing something at them. The other place they're wonderful is in mujadhra.

      Delete
    2. Onions in the fry pan commands me to stay the entire time because they will burn if I leave for a second, even to turn around and wash dishes inches away. lol

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful, but I'm here to talk about Bellman. Did you listen to Sven Bertil Taube singing Hvila vid denna kalla? Which translates to Rest at this spring. Sven Bertil was the son of Evert Taube Sweden's greatest writer and singer of Swedish folk songs. I think I may research and write a post about Bellman. At least I know you would be interested. And so would a few of my friends who read my blog but don't leave comments because they don't want to sign up with Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a couple of singers, not him, and several instrumental arrangements. Yes, please write more.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Lunch today: big slice of bread, toasted, loaded with fried tomatoes and the onion mixture. Really good. Enough onions left for a third meal.

      Delete
  6. You had me at carmelized onions and bread. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The onions lasted for three delicious meals.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!