Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Happy solstice with Flowers

 The Christmas cactus has started flowering, and the color is different from the buds, as you see. I sent a picture to my cleaning family who gave me it,  so they can enjoy it too. 


Perfect timing for the solstice, so a happy Solstice to Northern hemisphere blogistas, days to start lengthening, and to Southern hemisphere blogistas, shortening, but there's summer coming right now.

And yesterday's mail brought the blessing of a President who knows what he's doing. My new batch of free covid test kits arrived, timed for the holidays


and in other news, my Arabic reader arrived, ready, I thought to help me stumble along.

Alas I found their notion of beginners isn't mine. On their first page they say of  course the beginner is expected to have a basic understanding of the language.. Honey, that's not a beginner. 

It reminded me of the construction kit in a Child's Christmas in Wales: easy for little engineers, oh, easy for Leonardo!


Jamal will have to wait for me to catch up, then I'll read his adventures. A stretch goal at this point. Maybe this time next year I'll be looking back kindly on my current ineptitude.


Meanwhile here's a lovely manuscript page with a Christmas Chi Rho, the abbreviation for the word Christ. It's a symbol and a devotion in itself, as is the X in Xmas, an early respectful way of expressing the Holy Name. 


And on to less reverent things, here's a seasonal puzzle you absolutely will get. As usual, post funny clues not the actual answer


Happy day, everyone, longest night comes right before the return of the light, good to remember.

And today AC's photograph is totally right for the day.


Photo AC 

27 comments:

  1. Bring on the light and the heat. I made a very minor attempt to learn Hebrew decades ago and gave it up almost immediately. Just didn't have the time for it or really the inclination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're doing it for yourself, you need to really want to, yes.

      Delete
  2. I also made small attempt at Hebrew. I did just as Ellen did. Your Christmas cactus was right on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to keep going till you start the first feelings of familiarity. Then to keep going after that!

      Delete
  3. Mom always said the darkest hour is just before dawn. I think that's true. The answer to your puzzle is not "you dude." Mom used to also say "Time and tide cures everything." I always wondered if she was talking about the washing soap. If so just give it Tide and you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy solstice!

    May you have no occasion to need those Covid tests, but yes, so good to have them at hand. Hah - this puzzle took me less than a nano-second!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never expected it to still be in circulation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet little cactus. It will be fun to see it growing in the next few years.
    Glad you got your covid tests. But as Chris said above- may you not need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great comfort to have a gov that gives a flyin', after those terrible fg years. And I heard back from the cleaners, very happy about the plant.

      Delete
  7. AH, long time no hear or see. Good to see you still at it! Loving the cactus <3.

    Happy Solstice to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this is great! Yesterday I was handling the scarf you gave me and wondering how you were doing. And today you're here, yay!! Can't tell you how happy it made me to see your name there, Asha! Also hello to your grandmother. Happy solstice to you.

      Delete
  8. Happy solstice from downunder.
    Is the reader for little arabic speaking people learning to read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This little reader isn't up to Jamal yet! I was thinking this book would really be a beginning one, with the alphabet, pronunciation help, all that, but nooooo...

      Delete
  9. Solstice! And our daughter’s birthday. Wonderful reminders of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great birthday! Wish her the happiest of birthdays from me. So her first Christmas was almost right away!

      Delete
  10. I think your trying to run before you walk. Yes I definitely think this time next year you will be reading that book proficiently.
    The Christmas cactus is pretty

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cactus will be a grand fine plant as it ages. My grandmother and my father both will throw a coveting eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful that it will keep going. I've had them in the past and they've done pretty well.

      Delete
  12. Happy Solstice. I am sure it will be warmer here than in NJ. I hope your neighbor has a safe drive and that you stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still regretting not having coughed up the bucks to purchase one of the big cactus' they had for sale at the mall last week. I know I did it a favour though and left it for someone else to hopefully manage to keep it alive.
    I was able to pick up another rapid test kit at the drugstore the other day so we're stocked up (and very hopeful not to ever need them!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to hate the use of the word Xmas until someone explained the idea behind it. (Still think it's an ugly word though.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!