Monday, December 19, 2022

Great caroling, and timely greetings

I posted yesterday before the official first night of Hanukkah, so happy H, dear celebrants


And


Fervent thanks for my home state, from a born again, meaning naturalized,  Jerseygirl, who nevah pumps gas, nor takes nonsense. 

Meanwhile yesterday at the carol service, which, I realized at the last minute, was London time, five hours earlier than I'd planned. No time to get presentable, which why I kept my camera off 

Here's Jacqueline Bee Durban, host and MC


who was a load of fun, introduced a series of great clips, some pagan, some Christian, some just wintry, with carols in between which everyone could join in, muted, because the time lapses on zoom create chaos. 

Except at the end where she invited Christmas chaos with an unmuted rendition of the Twelve Days of Christmas, some people leaping while others were drumming and dancing and milking, just great fun.

It was exactly right for my down lonely mood yesterday morning, this time of year hard to navigate, especially this year with such losses. So that was my carol sing for the season, and it was great. Perfect timing.

Then this morning I looked out to see these little fellers in the best seat in the house, noshing on squash seeds and rinds


They saw me there, started to run then obviously thought oh we can take her anytime, and returned to continue their interrupted breakfast.

Speaking of animals knowing what's what, here are dogs modeling excellent theater manners


And I needed a little batch of cranberry muffins after the caroling excitement 


About learning cording, I learned it from YouTube, Sally Pointer to start, and I also searched on daylily cordage, having learned the term from her. If you do a search on "string" on this blog, that box at the top left, you'll find my early tries.

There are quite a few YouTube videos. Try it, you'll like it! 

I really like the whole process because it's so intelligent. It's a form of spinning, and the physics of it are the same.

Briefly, when you spin, here I'm talking as a spindle spinner, you first spin your yarn single in one direction, often clockwise, known as z. Then when you ply singles, you ply, that is spin, your singles together, in the opposite direction, known as s. The physics cause the resulting plied yarn to hold tight together.

That's exactly what your fingers do when you make cording, turning one set of fibers clockwise then drawing them, counter clockwise, down over the other set. 

Now they've changed place and again you turn clockwise what was the bottom group and is now the top group. Once you see and try it you'll quickly get it. 

That's why you see my cordage staying together, not unraveling.  If it unravels you know you did something you need to fix, probably you turned the top group in the wrong direction.

I'm always lost in awe at the people who originally figured all this out, thousands of years ago, with no tutorials.

Speaking of shock and awe, you'll be mad at yourself when you see the solution to the puzzle, if you were wrestling with word meanings, derivations, semantics snd semiotics, to find:

dynaMITE

wANT

mamMOTH

brieFLY

Yes, the words all contain insects. Patti (pictou) gave a huge hint in her clever comment.  

One of those puzzles which lead you instantly down an etymological rabbit hole, instead of seeing the words as just collections of letters.

Happy day everyone, don't make life harder than it has to be, it's hard enough already!

 



 






24 comments:

  1. It is. Hard enough already. Thank you for providing this cheery corner to come and relax for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that modern analogy of Hanukkah's meaning! Glad you enjoyed your carol singalong. And oh, those service dogs in training! I am kicking myself over that puzzle solution, of course. It seems so obvious -- once it's explained, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good student goes for the hard answer!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a fun morning that lifted you out of your lonely mood. Some good muffins surely helped improve mood, too! I have very arthritic hands, so even if I fully understood the process I would be unable to do it. It does make you wonder on so many things people figured out without tutorials.

    I didn't hurt my brain by even trying to figure out the puzzle. Of course, now it seems so obvious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an annoying puzzle, yes, one of those, well I shoulda got that! Sorry your hands don't cooperate, I'm very lucky that way. My rheuma tells me I have arthritic joints, but they don't bother me.

      Delete
  4. A little rural church renewed their carol sing last night after a two-year hiatus. I took pictures from outside in 2019 but forgot this year although calendar was nice enough to notify me when the carolling began -- many miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh! I completely missed Pictou's clue as well! Maybe the next one...

    Glad that you caught the carol sing despite the time zone confusion - a good spirit lifter all the way around. And cranberry muffins - oh my!

    Happy Hanukkah to all, and what a great explanation! And happy b-day NJ, a state I am growing to respect more and more.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my state, some very good legislation happened in the last few years. We have our faults, but I'll leave it up to other people to enumerate them!

    I thought Elayne's Hanukkah analogy was spot on.

    I think most of the carolers were brits judging from Bee's excited introduction of me from THE UNITED STATES! It may have explained why she didn't mention the time zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...got it! Thanks for the good wishes and same to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're in a minority. I wonder if librarians spot patterns faster than other people?

      Delete
    2. It took a bit of brain so perhaps...

      Delete
  8. Good to know about cording
    Word puzzles. Last week, a 3 on Wordle. This week a 5. Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are still doing Wordle? I didn't realize.

      Delete
  9. The squirrels look big compared to the little reds we have here. Love that photo of the dogs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grey squirrels are burly compared to red. Especially when they regularly stuff with squash seeds and rinds.

      Delete
  10. The squirrels are so cute. We don’t have them here in Australia.
    Do you leave food out for them during the winter? Cording and spinning sound very complicated to me. I’ll take a hard pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're destructive, but when I have squash or pumpkin seeds I toss them out, really for the birds, but the squirrels usually get there first. I now have my attic fan window reinforced with wire netting to keep them out of the roof.

      Delete
  11. I spent several years as a librarian and your puzzles still puzzle me. Of course, it was an engineering library--perhaps that was my stumbling block.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have carols tonight at Zac's, and we'll also try to do the 12 days of Christmas. Last time we tried it was a total disaster! I wonder if I can find the video . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the rendition I took part in. I don't think it was originally written as comic relief but ours turned out that way.

      Delete
  13. There's been a lack of Christmas music in our house this year, mainly because I'm not usually the one in control of such things. No decorating either. Neither of us seem to be in the mood for any of it, mainly because we've been bombarded with ads and hype since the end of September. Seems like retailers are starting earlier and earlier every year and by the time we get to the actual event we're beyond fed up with the whole thing. It would be different if we were having company but just for the two of us it's just all too much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!