Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Full and amazing day yesterday

Please vote if you haven't already. NJ voters who still have mail-in ballots at home please get them to a dropbox or, if you mail, specify you want a postmark. Particularly if you're in District 7, redistricted to bring many gop voters into a formerly juust about Democrat district.

 Meanwhile, yesterday. I returned the puzzle to the library and went to pick another, about Central Park 


And saw the parrot in the jungle puzzle I donated recently, there in the collection for someone else to struggle with, I mean enjoy


While I was there I checked the gallery for the current exhibit, some favorites 






She's a retired medical illustrator and you can see she's a good draftsman. Now she's exploding in color and collage and energy.

You'll notice the homage to the book reader there!

Home again and, after my walk,  I did the promised upstairs plant care in honor of my sister's birthday, including taking sansevieria cuttings. These are slow growers and when they get established I'll probably Freecycle them to some happy recipient.



The parent plant I grew from cuttings I took years ago from a friend's plant which I took onto the deck for a summer, like a camp visit 




This is an interesting plant, which I've propagated before this way and given away.  You just cut the leaf into sections snd shove them into  potting soil. 

I never use rooting hormone though the plant experts always say you should, and considering the reproductive success of my attempts, I think it's not as necessary as they say.

This is also interesting in that it will root only if you plant it the same way up as it grew. Apparently it senses north from south and doesn't like standing on its head.

Last time I made quite short cuttings and this time I'm trying bigger ones to see if it roots any faster. 

And I found yet another rogue potato plant trying to grow among the dracaena, see the fingers there for scale against the miniature spuds 


Then I seized the day

and set up tea and a little something, banana walnut cranberry bread, on the deck, reading Provincial Lady and watching the flock of warblers still here and flitting about the trees.


Amazing to be doing this in November, and lovely. Such a good day. An evening of knitting and then suddenly finding myself dicing a bowl of vegetables for an upcoming batch of flour tortillas. More on that anon.

Meanwhile happy day everyone, seize whatever kind of day you're given, some better than others. 

Vote. Rejoice if the good guys do well, refuse to be crushed if they don't. It's an endless struggle. La lucha!





19 comments:

  1. I can’t blame the plant for not wanting to stand on its head in the pot!

    We had temperatures in the high 60s until today. Sadly someone turned off the heat overnight! Consequently we turned ours on!

    How lovely to be able to sit outside like that this late in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid to watch the news reports over your election - hopefully the 'good guys (and gals)' get out to vote in droves.
    And, as usual, I learned something from my visit with you. Who knew that plants didn't like standing on their heads. And who knew how to propogate these. I'm going to try it. My green thumb is decidedly brown but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sansevieria take ages so if you try it, don't be discouraged if months go by before rooting happens. Voting numbers are reported to be at presidential year levels. Let's hope!

      Delete
    2. Three chunks of sans. are stuck in a pot as we speak (right side up!). Thanks for the note about it possibly taking months.

      Delete
    3. Yes, patience is definitely a requirement for this plant. It doesn't do anything sudden.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful day you had there! We had a snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Calgary granddaughter was out skiing in the park yesterday!

      Delete
  4. Snake plants (or, as we used to call them when I was little, "mother-in-law's tongue") are super-durable and easy to grow. I've never grown them from cuttings, though! Looks like you had a nice day. Fingers crossed about the elections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their light requirements are not demanding so they're great apartment plants where window space is precious.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea that that is the way to cultivate a snake plant. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You created a happy day for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to sit on the veranda and watch the birds as I read blogs, drink my tea, etc. So entertaining and relaxing. Yes - seize it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By January I expect I'll be looking back in amazement at this post. Maybe the sansevieria will have rooted by then though.

      Delete
  8. Temperatures are beginning to revert to normal, but we still have a few days coming up that will reach the 60s before plunging into the 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a well established snake plant that amazed my friends. We were all so young! I used to cut an entire leaf and stick it in a pot to root and give away. I didn't know you could cut it in sections and get even more. On the other hand, no risk of planting it upsidedown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!