Friday, November 25, 2022

Jigsaw puzzle, beech friends and sea serpents

The current jigsaw puzzle, a layout of labeled butterflies, got an assist the other evening when Gary came over with granddaughter K. 

She spotted the puzzle and instantly started studying the picture, clearly knows what's what. She's seven, and I think she can give me tips. 

She did almost half a butterfly in no time. Gary promised her she could come back and continue at the weekend. So maybe this might be a thing. I'm very pleased she felt fine just diving in, like at an extra grandma's house.  And that Gary's comfortable promising a return visit, too.

Yesterday was a walking day, sunny, in thr fifties f.  and this great old tree, there long before our houses, is like an old friend.



That's a squirrel's messy little nest you see up there. They're great engineers when it comes to raiding bird feeders, not great nest architects.

The socks are coming along, looking more and more like a stripey sea serpent.




As you see, I changed the set-up in the drawing from how it was in reality. Used a soft Ivory pencil here. 

I remember an art teacher assuring dubious students in our painting class that it was fine to reorganize the elements you see, not cheating! She had to convince some people that it's their art, their decision. 

They seemed to feel it was the law or something that you had to reproduce exactly what was visible, no matter how poor a composition it might make. People do tend to create and enforce rules on themselves in other contexts too. There's a sermon there..

And here


Happy day everyone, just be you! It's plenty.


Photo AC 


16 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you may have a young puzzle companion! You will love that. I am person of self-imposed rules, but age and physical limitations have been enforcing change. Perhaps one bright spot in the whole dark mess. I live with a very weird man who makes me laugh a lot. He also makes me nuts, but the laughter outlays the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us impose rules without realizing it. Even when there's an easier way.

      Delete
  2. I like that phrase of Sandra's- self-imposed rules. I am a slave to them. And I cannot for the life of me figure out why I'm so entrenched in making and keeping them. Thank you for the reminder that really, there is little need for them. I am going to try and work on that.
    I love that you have a new jig-saw partner! I find seven-year olds to be remarkable in abilities and in conversation when they are approached on a level of mutual respect. What a fine development! I hope she can come around often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably good once in a while to break a "rule" without analyzing why it was there, and see if that feels good.
      K. doesn't live here,so it's when she's visiting next door that I get the chance. I'm hoping she learns to just come over from next door alone. She's still dependent on Gary to help with that. No rush.

      Delete
  3. I do online jigsaws quite often and find it a lot of fun, especially since I can change the number of pieces, the background color, and other aspects. Plus I cannot lose the pieces ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do them online but find I like the physical pieces better. Online was good when I had cats though.

      Delete
  4. That child has a kids’ working brain. When I took violin lessons as an older guy, I complained that the young girl in the lesson before me sounded better than I. She didn’t disagree — unfortunately — and just said, “But she’s a kid,” meaning that of course kids are better than adults at learning new skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the friend who learned to make string on no time while her grandfather was struggling with it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy watching the jigsaw skills of children. My OCD granddaughter empties the box, turns every piece upside down, sorts by shape and puts the puzzle together upside down. She was 7 or 8 the first time I saw this, and did not ask her, though I heard he tell her aunt, "It's just easier." Now I think the picture side is visually confusing.
    When she was quite young her parents had her tested. She was given a box of crayons and a slotted tray and told to sort them. When done, it made no sense, so someone asked. She sorted by the tiny stock number in the color name. A first, said the psychologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad she has family who don't criticize her way, and a grandmother who observes without judging. Also that someone had the sense to ask about her sorting method for the crayons. It's brilliant, way beyond the this color next to that color kind of thinking. She may find color less meaningful than numbers.

      Delete
  6. Love how grandchildren just come into granny’s house and it’s home. All three of mine do that and it always makes feel good.
    The socks are looking lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be. I have none, so K is sometimes an honorary!

      Delete
  7. Our five year old grandson loves puzzles too. We are graduating to smaller and more pieces and he loves the challenge. The seven year old does too obviously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at her dexterity, but I'm not around young kids much.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!