Tuesday, November 1, 2022

White Rabbits! Yes we have bananas, And music

 Suddenly it's November, after a wonderful October, and here's the monthly artisan


Working at her rigid heddle loom. That bit sticking up is the rigid heddle. The other sort of heddle is the string heddle, one string attached to each warp thread to raise and lower, changing the shed, to enable the weft to pass alternately across the work. 

I have a rigid heddle loom, like that one and here's a wall hanging I made on mine,  threads courtesy of Kamala, thank you.


And there's always music. If you've never heard Cecilia Bartoli, the most wonderful coloratura singer ever, you might enjoy finding her on YouTube. She sings a lot of Vivaldi, right up to Puccini.



The second link shows you the score as she sings, and if you can read music, you marvel at the total mastery of the complex runs and figures. Or you can just listen and enjoy, too.

Today seems to be about saluting the arts,so here's a painting that you could write a book about, so brilliant and complex is the composition.

I'm waving my arms just looking at it, all the interlocking shapes and directions, the echoing curves everywhere, the color directing your eye, the virtuosic total of it, the impact. 

And now for something completely different. My honorary granddaughter recruited her colleagues to go bananas for Halloween


Which leads me to yesterday's Misfits box 



Except today I'm finally making pease pudding, which I've been meaning to make for months and kept forgetting to soak the split peas overnight. 



I finally remembered. Left dried peas, right soaked peas ready to cook. 

Happy day everyone, remember to do yesterday what you forgot for today, and be grateful if your mind is less of a ragbag than that of your humble blogger. 






15 comments:

  1. I'm a Cecilia Bartoli fan too -- what a voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how happy she is when she performs, too, just loving her audience who love her right back! Usually her hair is a wild flying curly mass, like her personality. She gets it tamed to a serious look for formal pictures, and you can see she's dying to laugh and frizz it all out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a cheery post
    The bananas are smile precious!
    Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would feel so at home in that flat.
    Pease pudding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the spelling indicates, it's an ancient recipe, back to medieval times, served as a vegetable with meat, or, if you weren't up to buying meat, as a nutritious main dish. It's flavored with malt vinegar, butter beaten in, salted, very good.

      I'll say more tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. You will have to show us the pease pudding once it’s done. That’s if you haven’t eaten it all lol
    So many talented people in the world. We definitely should let the artists and poets run the place. How calm would it be then

    ReplyDelete
  6. And do you eat it hot, cold and nine days old?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peas, please! I too love Bertoli.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that nursery rhyme about pease pudding, but I don't think I ever stopped to think whether it actually contained peas!

    I love Matisse's Nice paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pease pudding is standard fare here when we have family dinners. Most of the family enjoys it. Our Newfoundland heritage requires pease pudding with Jiggs dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someday I must investigate White Rabbit when I am not going though scores of blog posts. I had not heard of this until i very recently and only here on blogger. This is my third WR post this morning, perhaps with more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find a source, let us know. I never have.

      Delete
  11. I've learned something new today (as I often do when I visit with you!) and found out what pease pudding is. I've heard of it, but never knew what it was.
    I'm so glad you have been sharing the pages from your calendar because the illustrations are always charming. It's to be hoped you get a new version of same for 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the calendar and it was an inspired gift. So here's hoping!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!