Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Pease pudding and textile activism

 The pease pudding caper went like this






Cooked down and blended into a solid mass, sample seen in the saucer, butter and malt vinegar beaten in.

Then supper was slices of it fried in oil and butter, with an egg. The black specks on the egg are lovely flavored pan scrapings.




The tradition I grew up in, this goes with ham or bacon, black pudding, sausage, eggs for a special full breakfast or high tea. 

High tea is not to be confused with the dainty event of cucumber sandwiches and tiny cakes which is afternoon tea. For me, for this high tea,  an egg was enough. 

Speaking of working class food, yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured a young union activist, brilliant artist, now working in punch embroidery and walking the walk.












Her work is huge, some 72"by 42",  depicts the working class struggle and is stunning in color and concept. She's massively intelligent and perceptive and good humored though none the less passionate. 

Very timely to feature her in the current resurgence of the trade union movement and the union busting by such outfits as Star----- and Amaz-- not giving them any exposure here.

She's a very young, great talent, started with a degree from the prestigious Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art  in Philadelphia, switched from painting to textiles, weaving then embroidery, in the teeth of opposition from her teachers to whom painting was the ultimate art.

Now she's back in Tennessee where she was born, and finding her feet there with already major exhibit credentials. I'm planning to follow her career. 

So that was yesterday, happy day all round. Today it's Desk Set st the library movie afternoon.

And the reading is Kate Atkinson


Her latest, where she's partly channeling Maisie Dobbs and I think might be setting up a post WW1 Jackson Brodie detective in CI Frobisher's partnership with former combat nurse then peacetime librarian Gwendolen Kelling.

Set in the seedy nightclub world after WW1, it's already gripping and I've only started it, with nightclub owner, notorious Nellie Coker and her various offspring,  I have to get back to it now, so

Happy day everyone, vote, read, support your good causes. One little light is powerful.


Photo AC 

 




22 comments:

  1. I swear to you- I had never heard of pease pudding except for in "Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold. Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old."
    And from what I gather online, pease porridge and pease pudding are the same? But you fry yours. How interesting! A very nutritional dish, I would think.
    I cannot wait to read that book. I am somehow hoping it will just fall into my hands but so far it has not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Atkinson book only came out a few days ago. I'm not familiar with pease porridge, but I guess it's the same. Some people serve it differently, but frying is one I'm familiar with. Marie makes it, so maybe she'll tell us how she serves it.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize pease pudding was solid. I thought it would have a consistency more like oatmeal -- but I think that's because, like Ms Moon above, I was thinking of the nursery rhyme. Those textiles are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though you were making mushy peas at first. My husband used to eat them with fish and chips......not a fan. I've made pease pudding with split peas but it wasn't hard or fried ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people prefer pease pudding softer, but I like it to be firm enough to saute in butter. Decadent! I never heard of mushy peas growing up. Not a thing then, just fish and chips and vinegar, no added vegetables!

      Delete
    2. Also I like green split peas, but some people prefer the yellow.

      Delete
    3. Here is a wiki about mushy peas. My husband is from Liverpool :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

      Delete
    4. Lancashire! This Yorkshire woman says that explains it!

      Delete
  4. What brilliant art work! I've never made pease pudding although it would have been ideal today as I pressure-cooked some gammon. As for Shrines of Gaiety - I can't wait to hear what you think. I have been planning to write a review but I'll wait now until you finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gammon would be a great pair with pease pudding. This evening I'm doing roast potatoes with pease pudding slices. Very filling stuff.

      I'll soon be finished with Shrines.

      Delete
  5. She is an interesting artist and your author might be good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I checked in spam and found your comment there, a bit late but oh well

      Delete
  6. The pease pudding was a first for me as I was thinking of a pea soup when I saw the jar of dried peas. I am sure you enjoyed the pudding, but I would much rather have the soup. The art display was lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be pudding versus soup teams! This recipe made enough to freeze several more meals.

      Delete
  7. Arnold's artwork is amazing, solidly colorfull
    and energizing. Atkinson is a favorite that I think is on my list from reading here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would like that pudding. Definitely love the textiles and the book is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it this evening, flavors always better the second day, fried to lovely brown crisp exterior, yes I think you might consider making it, since you do like vegetables. Pulse foods are also economical as well as good food, a big point for me, too.

      Delete
  9. The artwork certainly is worthy of an exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful isn't it? She's truly a painter in fibers.

      Delete
  10. OK, so now I'm totally amazed. What I thought was a version of pea soup turns into something that can be fried. Who knew?
    T&T had a really great artist this time. Her work is so colourful and it's amazing that she creates in such a large format. Each piece must take an incredible amount of time to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time is very long. Because she believes in accessibility of art she's started selling cheap but quality reproductions so that people can afford it. That way she can still put in the time needed for the work and have an income too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!