Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Partially exhaling, and other sources of encouragement

The red wave turned out to be a pink ripple, though the election's not all done yet. Hope still springs eternal, with the best midterm turnout in decades. Some very good state measures protecting reproductive and voting rights, too. 

NJ district 7 is not called yet though the GOP candidate is claiming victory, no doubt ready to shout rigged if he loses. My own district 12 was an easy win for Coleman, a Good Person, despite the mysterious countywide failure of election machines.

On, while we wait for final results, meanwhile resuming at least shallow breathing, to nature and Freecycling.

I pulled a few butterfly bushes and put them on Freecycle


Then stood back as my in-box rained requests on me. They were gone in a couple of hours to a happy new home. 

I also got a long complaint that nobody should plant butterfly bushes because they're invasive. I thanked the writer but reserved my judgement. True they're prolific self seeders, but they support all kinds of insect and bird life, so I can't see it's a bad thing. 

And I made a new idea for hot breakfasts now the warm weather is receding. 



A lot of grated and chopped sweet and bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, capers, because I didn't have black olives, and bit of instant mash because I didn't have a raw potato, in a yeast batter. I used half and half masa harina and wholewheat flour, thanks Chris, still using the tortilla flour from you.

It was good hot from the pan for supper and toasted to hot for breakfast.


These might replace the fruit-stuffed pita that's been breakfast for a while. It's a kind of all purpose food.

There was a Textiles and Tea program yesterday, which I'm too wrung out over the elections to do justice to, but tomorrow is another day. 

Meanwhile








There's a lot to be happy about.

Happy day everyone, keep breathing till we secure our democracy! We got this.







29 comments:

  1. Our incumbent governor won, thank the fates. I've been so worried about that. Snoopy is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if your urban areas delivered over the red rural regions. Try saying that fast!

      Delete
  2. In Australia it’s compulsory to vote and you will get fined if you don’t.
    Strange isn’t it. Propel fight for the right to vote and here it’s a duty. Although making it mandatory doesn’t sound very democratic but then again I guess we get a more true idea of what the country wanted. Not that, that stops us getting morons into the job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there have been some choice Prime Ministers. The whole planet is supplied with plenty of dopes and their friends in office.

      Delete
  3. Heavens I seem to have crawled out from under a rock and realized I have fallen behind on the news. Must go and do some reading on the results. My father was a stickler for 6.30pm tv news (even if he went back to work afterwards) but I've never developed a news habit and just fit in dome reading of news when I can. These days the writing of news is rather a lost skill I suspect. It seems to be about sensation and headlines, the body and analysis something of a non-event. We lime the sound of your new recipe. I make something similar but leavened with soda. Even so e finely diced bacon goes into ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find literate news that isn't all drama and hysteria, yes. But it's worth looking for! I'm not a bacon fan, but I expect it does pack flavor for those are.

      Delete
  4. I love the meraki quote. I am happy your country has seen some sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. So am I. The white -male-owned media confidently got a lot wrong, especially their assumption that reproductive rights wouldn't be an issue by election day. And b@#@#@ Bernie Vermont You Can Keep Him, again saying nobody cared about abortion only about the economy. The guy running against Hillary, shellacked, by her, then claiming women's issues were a distraction! That guy. Absolutely beyond me why any woman would support him. If she knew what he says. Okay, leading the hobby horse back to the stable now..

      Delete
  5. The best democratic showing in eighty odd years and probably getting better. My new county went red. Probably has been red all along. I guess I need to get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does indeed look like a fine breakfast and something I might have to explore. I do not like anything sweet for breakfast.
    And I love the Meraki quote. That's what it's all about.
    Oh, Snoopy- you are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Snoopy line, too. It might show up again around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My state stayed red for the most part. Haven't heard a lot about local races. There was one Green on my slate. Sad. Your new breakfast sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Florida was no surprise. It's become a hard red state.

      Delete
  9. Glad the butterfly bush plants found a new home and despite the criticism received, they are important plants. We had several when we lived in VA much to the butterflies delight and my own. There is much wisdom in the Peanuts comic strip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw so much good from them, birds feeding all winter, birds and moths and butterflies in summer. I don't see a downside.

      Delete
  10. Sadly we still have a useless red governor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commiserations over your gerrymandered State.

      Delete
  11. My husband’s attitude is like Snoopy. If he wakes up…he lives that day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I refuse to follow closely, but I understand that the election results have been much better than predicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best results in midterms for the president's party in decades.

      Delete
  13. Living in this extremely red state, I pulled the covers over my head and avoided the news till today. Great to hear that nationally things are going well. Idaho remains very red. Glad the masa harina is still proving useful.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so hard to be casting a blue vote in a red state. For me, in blue NJ, a much easier environment. We have a Gov and a leg. who have put in place all sorts of protective legislation. Still work to do, but we've remedied a lot of the damage done by the Christie administration, including the economy.

      Delete
  14. I imagine it's been a collective sigh of tentative relief over the election results, at least as far as we can tell from here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!