Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Textiles and Tea, and blankets

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea guest was Annie MacHale, inkle loom weaver. If you follow the thread you'll see an inkle loom if you're not familiar with it. 

It's a narrow loom, designed with a huge long warp, for making bands, belts, straps, even shoelaces. Her colors are standout.



This is a manipulated image, not woven like this!






At the White House, representing her state of New Mexico. 



She's written two how-to books, available directly from her, and she's a cheerful, generous weaver, great fun to be in her company.

Long ago I was offered an inkle loom as a downsizing gift and declined it. Just not my thing, too linear, so I hope it went to someone who would love it. But I did research it a bit before realizing it's too confining for me, though a huge pleasure to people who own them.  

Annie says of spinning -- not her thing! Different strokes.

Yesterday's walk was possibly the last of the foliage before the overnight storms and falling temperatures swept through.


And I made my version of lasagna


The cheese part I made with grated Vermont sharp cheddar, plain yogurt, egg, spinach and parsley, with onions and garlic. The tomato part was a can of diced tomatoes and a big chunk of tomato paste.

It came out very good, to the point where I had seconds, very unusual for me. However, like other good foods, it tasted better than it photographed, so please take my word for it!

I now have enough for several days of helpings, some of which I might freeze. Speaking of which, I'm getting to the end of the frozen quiche slices, and today was the last of the veggie pancakes for breakfast.  

They held up very well, in a container in the fridge, separated by parchment paper, stayed nicely fresh and moist. Note to self: do that again.  Cooking for one can be interesting, also you  feel well if you eat well, good ingredients, simply cooked. I do, anyway, though it might be smugness.

Some Thanksgiving cooking, too, while I was at it, the honeynut squash, filled out a bit, it's small, with mashed yellow potatoes, all beaten with butter, salt and nutmeg.


It's now in the freezer along with the cranberries, must put a note on the freezer so I don't forget the things I'm adding in.

And yesterday I finally put on the heating, overnight temps now in the thirties f.,  a bit anxious about whether the furnace would start, it being months since it was in use in the summer air conditioning. 

It did, and I need to keep the house heating within my means, so I remembered the survival blankets Handsome Partner was given by our visiting nurses. 

They're a lightweight sort of foil, which act to trap body heat and are surprisingly effective, without a power source being used. Good to have in your car if you're in a northern winter, too, just in case.

They gsve them to us as part of the home care kit, in case our heating went out, so I could throw one over him in his wheelchair, to keep warm, he being unable to move. We never had to use them, but I got them out yesterday, one for the bed, one for the sofa 

They're amazingly warm, and I'm in bed cosily writing now. The covers read; quilt, foil blanket, regular blanket, sheet, me. Not too heavy, but easily as warm as an electric blanket.

Here's the sofa setup, wool handknitted throw I made for Handsome Partner, with foil

The foil blanket is rolled up here, but it's at least single bed size opened up.  Perfect for reading, knitting, all the sitting-down things.

Happy day everyone, library movie today unless I feel more like knitting at home. Enjoy what you feel like doing, if you have the luxury of choice.







19 comments:

  1. Beautiful guitar straps! I love the last one pictured which matches the gold guitar. Truly elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work, yes. That was a special commission.

      Delete
  2. I have many musician friends and their instrument straps mean a great deal to them. I suppose I had never really thought about the process of weaving them. So many things escape my radar until brought to my attention.
    Stay warm, dear woman. Stay cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man pictured with the guitar became a friend after she'd made that on his commission. They did other projects together. It was very significant to him.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful weaving, as always. We've turned out heat on as well, for just a short time in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good you work away from home, but I expect you also consider Olga as it gets colder.

      Delete
  4. Another lovely textile artist with a great sense of colour.
    We have one of those foil blankets in the trunk of the car all the time and luckily have never had to use it and hopefully never will. Last night there was a cold east wind and so Resident Chef was nestled beneath his fleece throw since there's always a draft that comes in around our balcony door. Note to self, remember to make a draft dodger (which will work for the bottom of the door but not around the entire thing...luckily we have a double curtain we can pull across the door which helps).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have that in the car. Yiu never know! Patio doors are so hard to draft proof. Since I replaced all my windows, that was the most expensive one, and worth it. No drafts. But the front door is another story.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, vibrant colors! I've never made lasagna with cheddar, it sounds pretty good. I like the smugness comment! Excellent idea to pull out those foil blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the smugness: I sometimes wonder if my cooking anecdotes sound like virtue signalling, which I don't like at all. I'm not saying this is how to, but rather this is how I. I cook to please myself and have what I want to eat.

      But I have been accused of judging someone who read my words as a verdict on her. Even though I've very little idea what she cooks. I don't think she reads in here any more, but I feel alert to the possibility now.

      So I deflect with comments like the smug one. Just so sensitive people realize I don't think I'm all that!

      Delete
  6. We turned on our heat yesterday too, the latest year ever. It was remarkably warm this fall. Not good though we saved money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my gas bill for last month. Very low because I only used gas to cook, not much. It's odd to get to mid November before we need heat on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought an Inkle and and Inklette when I started my Rigid Heddle journey. I have had a fiddle with the inkle but this post has inspired me to warp it up and have another go.
    Cooking is creative. We all do it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do get it out, please blog about it.

      Delete
  9. I do like her straps, very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the straps, just gorgeous and good information about the foil blankets. I keep flannel on my bed along with two lighter blankets. Lukas is a great space heater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nothing like a warm cat to keep a person cozy.

      Delete
  11. I’ve never considered those blankets for home use, but yeah, why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They tend to rustle, which for cats is an added attraction, a giant rustle toy!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!