Monday, November 7, 2022

Of jigsaws, completion and honoring

Yesterday saw the completion of the current jigsaw puzzle


I wonder if one of the pleasures of things like craft projects and jigsaw puzzles is that unlike a lot of things in life, you can reach completion. 

The process is fun, and you can move on after it's done. Likewise the mending I mentioned the other day, now done and clothes now back in rotation.

Yesterday I made the chickpea stew, using the very good stock which accidentally simmered all night (!) and remembered yet again that the recipe uses saffron.

I never have saffron, too expensive, and after I had finished cooking the stew, which was good again anyway, it finally dawned on me to find out if there is a substitute.

Some people recommend turmeric because of the color, but you don't use saffron just for the color, lovely as it is. Then I found a good idea which uses turmeric for the color and the combo of turmeric and paprika, itself a combo, for a near relative of the flavor.

No sooner said than done. I had to spill the spices onto a white surface to just enjoy those wonderful colors


Then I mixed them, half and half, in a new container, for the next time a recipe specifies saffron.


I notice that when I'm reading, I use Google a lot to see what the food mentioned is about. Also music where it accompanies the action. Food is an insight into characters, so when the Provincial Lady mentions the luxury of poire Helene, I had to find out.

I knew it would be pear-involved, turns out it involves poached pear, chocolate sauce and ice cream. Oh. 

Donna Leon is a demon for food references and I like to find out just what Italian favorite the detective's family's enjoying this time. 

Then there's Pym and  the hopeless "shapes" and mousses and chicken in white sauce , beloved of her characters, where flights into gourmet tastes are scorned  

The picky single man wants to cook a plover when he's alone, the sensible single woman just finishing up the bread and cheese. 

Pym herself in real life was a good cook, but a realist in her fiction about the tables of  her clerical characters. 

One excellent cook, Wilf Bason, was hired to work in a rectory and seen with great suspicion when he made wonderful fish dishes in Lent. You weren't supposed to actually enjoy Lenten food!

Chris's comment about being the last sibling got me thinking. I have only the most general notion of the dates of death of any relative, with a couple of stark exceptions. But I know all the birthdays and think of them on their days.

So I think I'll start to do a little thing to honor each on their birthday, that would echo something about who they were.

Starting today, the birthday of Rita, long gone, who was a talented artist and who taught me quite a bit about houseplants.

She had a wonderful touch, could grow anything anywhere, it seemed, and I'll do some much needed houseplant care today in her honor.

November has a couple of other significant dates, so I think it will be helpful to me as well as respectful to them, to find interesting ways to honor their interests on their days.

Happy day everyone,  action is prayer, and it's okay to enjoy it, too.



 

21 comments:

  1. Good job on the puzzle. I'll have to remember the saffron substitute. I do have a recipe that calls for it. My two siblings are still with us though we've been orphans for some time now. A nice way to remember though, dedicating an action to their memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip about saffron substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a lot of recipes that call for paprika. One of my favorites is a chicken dish that has apple cider vinegar, paprika and smoked paprika in it. It is delicious.
    I like the idea of honoring those who have gone before us on their birthdays. I think I remember Yoko Ono saying something about that in relation to John Lennon- that it is his birth date she wants to especially remember him, not his death date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was fast! Thank you for the saffron substitute. I will use it. The only family I have is my son and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyment is important in life AND I have also learned that work can be enjoyable :-)))
    I often use turmeric. I'll try the turmeric plus paprika we'll see... I think I'll use it separately.
    p.s. I baked cinnamon rolls (with fresh yeast) and added cardamom to them... a dream :-)))
    Many greetings to you. I wish you an inspiring week.
    p.s. Your puzzle picture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardamom, wonderful smell. I sometimes open the jar just to sniff!

      Delete
  6. Then there are the doughnuts in the Stephanie Plum novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her novels are located right in my back yard. I know all the streets and the Chambersburg section of Trenton, the Burg. And all the terrible foods. The donuts are ok.

      Delete
  7. I used to love doing jigsaws but then I gave them all away. Now I really want to restart the habit, but maybe I should borrow one first just to see if I still enjoy it?
    I love cooking; it's a bit sad for just one person. As winter's coming I might do batch cooking with several portions for the freezer. I agree, saffron is far too expensive to use with a lavish hand, so thanks for the tip of combining turmeric and paprika, both of which I use happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local library has started a lending collection of jigsaw puzzles, maybe yours might?

      I cook for one quite happily, freezing extra helpings. I also give samples to neighbors of my baked goods. I like only having myself to please, after so many years of accommodating invalid cookery for a quadriplegic partner with only partial use of his hands. I did it gladly, but it's so nice not to have to consider logistics with meals.

      Delete
  8. did this comment work? It's Friko here, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you see, yes, and thank you for visiting, Friko!

      Delete
  9. I don’t think I’ve ever had saffron. It’s just way to expensive to have sitting in the pantry. Your idea of making the substitute if fantastic. Maybe I’ll give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This idea seems to have caught on. I'm not sure what saffron is like, so I can't judge how good a sub it is, but I'm going to try it anyway.

      Delete
  10. I'm with you - death dates do not stick in my mind. The idea of honoring someone's arrival into this world sounds like a much more appropriate idea. Thank you for this glimpse of Rita.

    Saffron: we have grown (a handful of) saffron crocus for many years, harvesting about 1/00 of a teaspoon every fall. Each of our half dozen bulbs produces two or three pale lavender flowers, each of which carries three glorious orange stamens. I can understand why saffron is so $$$$$$.

    Congratulations on the jigsaw puzzle. A puzzle lending library is an excellent idea.

    Chris from Boise

    PS: Poire Helene...hmmm...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, saffron is scarce even with a mountainside of crocus and requires hand harvesting. They earn those high prices. I'm impressed that I know a grower! No need to say the size of the harvest.

      Delete
  11. When I used to bake a lot of bread for all the family, there was great excitement come Easter time and specialty breads, especially ones with saffron, provided by my brother (deep pockets). I always saw saffron as adding color, but my brother swore by its flavor, like grass, he said. I thought it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's as near as I've come to knowing the flavor of saffron.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I've ever tasted saffron so I know I would be quite happy with your far cheaper alternative.
    I think your idea of honouring your siblings on their birth day is far better than dwelling on the day they left this earth. I would like to think that my family would choose to do that once I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wasn't a huge fan, but I did read some Pym. There was some line about there not being enough light in the sky to fill a baby's bonnet. Something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably referring to the saying about enough blue in the sky to make a Dutchman's breeches. Meaning maybe the rain might stop soon! I don't remember that in Pym.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!