Sunday, February 28, 2021

Persistence of snowdrops

 Apologies to Dali for reworking his title. Remember the two brave little snowdrops who came up in January, frigid weather, they didn't care?  Then vanished under a lot of snow. Today the rain is washing away the snow, and here they are, still doing just fine.

 they stood straight up again as soon as the snow was melted.  And my chair is reappearing, too, finally.

So, after all the drama and excitement lately, I thought it would be good to peacefully mix up a little something in the kitchen.  I have nothing at all in the little something category, so this was urgent.  

And I found a recipe, sort of, on YouTube, for Pancake Cake.  I won't give you the reference because I found the speaker completely unintelligible, tiny childlike voice, and talking at such speed I just couldn't.  So I copied the recipe, which was not at all like what she'd done on screen, so I improvised a bit, and here's my version, I guess.

It's similar to a pancake, cooked on top of the stove, but supposedly cakelike. Hm.

I melted the butter, because I saw something liquid in addition to the egg and milk, going into the mix, which she may have explained and I couldn't catch it after rewinding three times.  So anyway, okay.

And you start it in a cold pan, which I found interesting, but tried it anyway.  Low heat, covered.

This lid is from something quite different but fits this pan a treat, so I often use it.

And she says to cook it 12 minutes.  Which I did.  Completely liquid.  So I raised the heat a bit, cooked for a few more minutes.  Getting there.  Then I ended up cooking for about 20 minutes, before it became something you could actually lift out.

Here's the pretty side, also the side that won't stick to the plate

So I turned it less pretty side up, and let it cool, to make an icing, yellow colored, with vanilla flavoring,using milk as the liquid.

As here. And cook's privilege, a slice to go with this afternoon's pot of tea.

I'm not sure if I like this or not.  I'll see what Handsome Son says, since it's mainly in his honor I'm making this before he visits Tuesday.  If it goes down well, I'll keep the recipe. 

It may be one of those novelty ideas that doesn't hold up very well.  It's also a bit thin, and I used the 8" pan she recommended, but if I do it again, I think I'll go one size smaller.  One good thing, it got me to use the giant lifter thing that came in a recent set of kitchen tools I had to get to replace my ancient rusty spatulas.  It was so big it lifted the whole thing easily, to slip it onto a plate. I don't usually buy sets of anything, art materials, kitchen tools, crafty stuff,crayons, pencils, pens, because I only need a couple of items and the others are surplus. But maybe this one was okay after all.

If it's a pancake type thing, I wonder if I can have it for breakfast? Asking for a friend.


10 comments:

  1. Some flowers are so sturdy and brave and hardy that you want to ask the other ones if they're even trying. Funny how the most fragile of flowers can be the strongest- the daffodils, snow drops and even pansies. Calling someone a "pansy" as an insult is ridiculously wrong. They are so far from weak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ttue. Anyone who knows much about flowers would be flattered to be compared to them.

      Delete
  2. I made a pecan pie (my recipe, not the karo syrup one) and had a nibble before supper and will be eating it for breakfast, I can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That opens the door to my iced pancake cake for breakfast then. Fine.

      Delete
  3. Pancakes - egg, milk - sounds like breakfast to me! An bravo snowdrops!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are hardy snowdrops for sure.

    It sounds like a breakfast cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowdrops look so fragile, on long slender stems, and they're tough as old boots.
      I took everyone's advice and had a slice of pancake cake for breakfast.

      Delete
  5. Pancake cake - that's a new one I've never heard of. So hard to believe the difference between your snow pictures the other day and seeing the deck and your snowdrops bravely blooming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!