Thursday, February 4, 2021

Miniature update from the world of nature

 C. just sent me a picture of a healthy housefly running about on the snow.  What? Aren't they supposed to be sleeping or finding a way into my kitchen or something?

I saw her and raised her the mosquito I found in the living room a couple of nights ago, whining around my head and making spirited attempts to bite.

Just sayin that nature doesn't seem to sleep the way she used to.  Too bad.

And about that fence replacement that caused us all such urgent pruning and worrying back last summer?  

The fence people, still without the replacement fencing, it's stuck in a warehouse somewhere back of beyond, the pandemic having disrupted all sorts of supply chains, have been round several times, in teams, with official looking clipboards. 

Including at the start of the snowstorm.  They and my neighbor shouting over the wind, discussing the stuff he might have to move, all with snow blowing in all directions, no doubt blotting out the clipboard notes.  They're determined, I'll give them that.

What this has to do with nature observation is this: on my rotted out old wooden gatepost there is a perfectly beautiful colony of miniature fungi, which I observe frequently. 

It's a brilliant red and green world, easy to imagine in a picture book.  And no doubt when the new synthetic fences, I bet anything they won't use wood, are installed, there won't be a handy fungus observatory for me.  

Fortunately we have a lot of local trees with plenty of populations to examine and wonder about.  Such wealth everywhere, really.  I bless our climate, with the cold winters enabling the spring growths, and the rain bringing on all kinds of interesting plant life.

Oh, the snowdrops as of this morning:


Under there. No doubt still blooming. I think the tracks are squirrels.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. More than enough, really. But it's very good for the earth.

      Delete
  2. All kinds of things are screwy now because of global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the insects are finding life confusing these days. I do hope that pesky mosquito met an untimely demise else it contributes to generations more. And what's wrong with those fence people? Don't they realize that fencing is not going to happen this time of year? They sound about as gifted with brain power as the building management here who can't seem to figure out how to acquire our rent from our bank accounts automatically and then send us threatening letters because we're behind in our rent (through no fault of our own I might add).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insects will be left long after people are wiped off the planet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!