Sunday, February 7, 2021

More snow, olive oil, soup, wisdom of Maisie

Another storm started this morning, and is now at the point where police are begging people to stay off the roads, at home, that is, since a whole lot of optimistic drivers set off this morning and went off the road in no time.  Impassable bridges, slippery corners, ditches, fill in the blanks.



But there's always soup.  Which reminds me, it beats me when I read other bloggers who complain they have nothing to write about! Because they're home, some even with families and pets.  How do they manage it? I seem to have enough ideas that I choose which to bother with each day.  Well, moving along here.

Last night I roasted potatoes for supper with a fried egg, comfort food, and put the butternut squash in at the same time, 400F for half an hour, so it was nicely done ready to use this morning.  The seeds are now flung out on the patio for the squirrels who love them. They're still warm, too, so they have a hot meal coming.

 
Butternut squash, cashews, carrot greens.  And the usual cast of assistant spices, kosher salt, nutmeg, turmeric, Old Bay, chicken stock.  I added milk powder after I'd blended, and it's definitely a good idea.




 This is my current Misfits olive oil, the best, lovely stuff, great flavor.  Which brings up a point: I don't agree that there's a cooking grade of olive oil.  Or of wine, come to that.  If you don't want to drink the sherry, why on earth would you cook with it? Likewise, people insist that this very high grade of oil is for finishing, for salads, and so on.  Yes, but I see no reason why I can't use it for anything else.  And that malarkey about the smoking point doesn't apply to soup.  So I use the best, and it's lovely.

 
And I like these people, too, note the instructions on storing it.


 And here's lunch.  It's very good, because I soaked the cashews overnight, better than a couple of hours.  And the color comes from the carrot greens, whose flavor works as well as carrots in this soup, I find. I don't think I'll ever get tired of soup.  Just as well, I suppose.  

This afternoon is Misfits Choice afternoon, where I Build My Box, as they grandly put it.  And where I get to choose salads greens, too.  Last night I dreamed I'd done it all, and the box had arrived, and I woke thinking oh good, I'll have a salad today.  Oh, wait, that was a dream only.


 Then there's the What Would Maisie Do book, which has quite a few helpful thoughts for meditating on, very a propos at this time, though the book came out before the pandemic.  And yes, everyone in the world is facing a change in circumstance just now. So it's worth thinking on this one.  It's like a fortune cookie thought, only it makes sense.


13 comments:

  1. Ooh! I would love to try that olive oil! And I would definitely store it away from people I do not like!
    We are about to cut our broccoli and I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it that would be so very special. I am thinking of Broccoli Newburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds posh. As does fresh cut broccoli from your own garden.

      Delete
  2. We are soup lovers too. We’ve had seafood chowder for a few days. Not quite salt enough. Rarely do we have to add salt at the table. Your soup sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seafood sounds good. Hmmm. I must consider that.

      Delete
  3. Olive oil tasting better than others, makes sense to me. Love the label instructions! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one HUGE friggin' tree in the backyard! Today I made oatmeal raisin cookies. Tonight will be -40C here, so I'm layering on some more body fat to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the rightmost tree of a group of them.

      Delete
  5. Tonight I had scalloped potatoes (and peas) for supper, and the acorn squash roasted quietly in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to be at a stage in life where I can stay home (for the most part) when winter weather is at its worst. Love the storage instructions on the olive oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been cool and rainy here and I've been on a heating pad with back issues. Your soup looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snow is pretty. Please don't send any of it down my way. One year of living in the Rockies cured me of having to deal with snow ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a time of year when I agree heartily with you.

      Delete
  9. I love that wonderful label! Too bad more manufacturers wouldn't include gems like that on their packaging. Certainly would give them a more human persona.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!