Monday, February 15, 2021

The Silent Patient and the Not So Silent Reader, and kitchen conundrums

 My partner in crime in the email Tiny Book Group embarked on this, and I promised to give it a go.  So I started it, and to be honest it didn't hold up well against the soaring prose of Ali Smith, but I'd promised, and it was our selection, so I kept on reading.

It's set in the world of psychotherapy and residential care for mentally ill patients, some violent, the narrator being a psychotherapist, and there's a murder before the story began, which ended in the guilty person being consigned to this residence, and there are the intertwined stories of the various people connected with her and each other, who tend to turn out quite differently than expected.

It's not one of those endless dull self important sort of books about mental health and treatment, which got me past my first resistance and it does get more and more gripping as it goes.  It also uncovers mysteries where the reader didn't know there were any, and that in itself is very clever writing.  I was taken by surprise at the denouement, and at the end I decided, yes, this is good stuff.  So I recommend it.  

It's his first novel, and it does have some flaws I wish an editor had persuaded him against, such as the long discredited had I but known type of meme, that oh, I'd never have done that if I'd realized, or ah, and things were to get worse, etc.,  which is a cheap way of keeping the reader's attention.  Good writing doesn't need to do that.  But maybe that's beginner's practice. Anyway, I'd try it.  Don't read it right after a truly brilliant book, because that's not a fair context.  But do read it, it's a very exciting piece of work.

Then I thought I'd like a couple of those improper pasties, or empanadas, or various other names according to where you're eating them.  My misfits leeks, red onions and yellow potatoes were the main actors.  The yellow potatoes are not labeled Yukon Gold, and they would be if they were, so I think they're just another yellow potato, Gold adjacent.  They're very good indeed.  I microwaved them for a few minutes before peeling and chunking, and they kept their shape nicely.

So the leeks and onions then later the potatoes, sauteed in butter and oil, shake of salt, shake of Old Bay Seasoning.  And I used the last of the pastry I'd made the other day. There's always a bit left.


As you see. Enough for two.  I rolled this very thin, because I find that's what I like.  And I discovered that must be why I don't like pie.  Too much crust.  This is thin and crisp, much more to my taste.


So, after the onions and leeks cooked down well, I added the already cooked potato, just to take on flavor and heat up.


And here's the result. Two nice sized pasty things.  Perfect for picking up and eating.  Baked at 400f for about 25 minutes.  I sprayed the top with olive oil halfway through, to encourage some browning.

 Here's where you see how thin the crust is, very nice crunch when you bite in.  And it's strong enough to contain the fairly heavy contents without collapsing, always a big point.

I find now that I've used up the pastry, and I have filling left over.  This might be an endless chain.  More pastry to use the filling, then pastry left over, then use the pastry and you have filling left over, etc. It's like the clever marketing of hot dogs and rolls, where they are sold in different amounts, so you're endlessly shopping for one or another.  But I seem to have pulled this clever trick on myself.

As I was picking out today's outfit last evening, it made me think yet again of the people who once they were working from home, gave up dressing in real clothes, and sloped about in pajamas and sweatsuits and that kind of comfy but depressing stuff.  I wonder if that's part of the generalized depression I hear around me all over. 

I've heard so many comments that you only dress up for other people, and that you only get dressed up because you'll be seen at work, etc.  Yes, I get that, having been employed for decades in various occupations some of which required less comfortable clothes than others.  But to give it all up because you're not being seen all the time, I wonder about that.  I totally support comfortable shoes in fact went against the mores and wore them at work, which gave my juniors permission to do likewise, which they were very happy about.

But what about your ow spirits, I wonder?  I go days without being seen as far as I know, but I would be so bored wearing the same stuff or dull stuff, with no interesting changes. Admittedly my outfits are basically turtleneck, jacket and pants.  But different color combos and fabrics and it's just more interesting and certainly better for my own mental health than the same old same old.  What do you think?

I notice clothing manufacturers are getting with the idea of very comfortable work clothes and introducing great colors and styles instead of the tight, unyielding skirt suit and that sort of office uniform. Which means they'll be in my thrift store by next year, when I might be able to return there and shop. 

I think it's socially responsible to try to recycle, buy used, alter, generally get mileage out of the clothes that are often made with virtually slave labor on the other side of the planet.  The least I can do is buy rarely, and not at retail.  And make my own and even spin my own yarn where I can. No, I'm not an economic saint, but I do think it's worth trying to remember the earth and the overworked people on it.  One way to help them is to seek out fair trade places to shop.  Dharma Traders is one, and there are others, you need to be aware that if they're fair traded they'll be labeled thus.  Fair trade is paying a proper price to the maker at the source. It's not supporting sweatshops.

My Misfits subscription supports smaller farmers and bypasses the giant food chains, while feeding me well.  It's all part of the same notion that I at least  try to live by.  I need to sleep nights!

So there's the end of my current economic and ecological PSA!

18 comments:

  1. I recently listened to that book as a loan from my library. I thought it was pretty okay. Not the best. Certainly not the worst and there surely were a lot of unexpected twists!
    You are like me- you take leftovers and make more leftovers with them. Ah well. Somehow it works.
    As to dressing- I absolutely dress for comfort and I need deep pockets for gathering eggs and carrying my phone to listen to my books on. Also for carrying trimmers and garden gloves and sweat rags. Overalls suit me perfectly and that is what I wear almost all the time when I'm at home. It's a joy to me that I can do that and not depressing at all. But I do see your point. I think on the whole you are more civilized than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of overalls but not of how I'd look and feel in them. I do love big pockets, which is why indian pants are great. Deep pockets because they don't assume a purse.

      Delete
  2. I'm a boring dresser. I'll wear the same clothes (clean underwear though) all week if I don't go out or get them dirty. never had to dress up for work as I was self employed and my work was in the shop cutting stencils or studio doing full size drawings. I did dress nicely for presentations and client appts though. and we wear our clothes until they are almost rags before we buy new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad not to have to dress for work any more. Comfort is the order of retirement. I can’t remember the last time I bought a dress.

    The pastries look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive always worn comfortable clothes even when work required dressier outfits. But that's different from retreating into night wear, as a lot of people I know have. That seems very sad somehow.

      Delete
  4. I like the look of the pasty-ish items. Love leeks. Almost never see them in my grocery stores. Agree with you about thick pastry. I don't disagree with you about the importance of varying your wardrobe, although I've pretty much been wearing the same few t-shirts and the same pair of gray jeans for the last several months. As you know, I lost quite a bit of weight, have managed to keep it off, and haven't had the money to buy a new wardrobe. Also, most shops I would go to do not have their changing rooms open and it's really hard to buy clothes when you're not sure of your size. It's not fun to buy clothes right now. However, as broke as I am, I have kept up on haircuts and chin waxes. I know of some people who have not, and I think they would benefit from the psychological lift of getting their hair cut, colored, permed (whatever they used to do pre-COVID-19). I'm puzzling this out in my mind as I type, and I think that I think that someone who enjoyed putting outfits together, saw a hairdresser regularly, wore makeup regularly, did her nails regularly, etc., might be psychologically better off trying to keep up some level of that during the pandemic rather than letting ALL of it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know several people who have found how much they depended on hairdressers and manicurists. No idea how to manage without. I'm not very high maintenance, but I do get dressed!

      Delete
  5. I cannot imagine my days without clothing, any more than I can imagine my bed unmade. Dust--another matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I love adjacent. It's so useful as shorthand for what I often want to say.

      Delete
  7. Thin crusters unite! I too am not a lover of most pie, but a nice thin-crusted hand pie - mmm mm!

    For clothes, we almost never buy new, for the same reasons you list. All my clothes are getting a little long in the tooth, as we haven't been in a store for a year (and don't shop online), so although I vary my turtlenecks from one color to another, they're all a little frayed and baggy. I save one 'good' set for doctor visits, as they're the only folks who see me sans decent winter jacket.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand pie! Another name for this useful food. I think I'll collect names for it. I expect it exists in a lot of cultures.

      My wardrobe is nice looking and us all from Freecycle or the Vietnam veterans thriftie. I dress in a lot of cashmere and linen, too, all thrifted.

      Delete
  8. Hello Liz,

    We are always pleased to receive book recommendations but, at the moment, our reading list is so long and the unread book pile so high that we must not be tempted further.

    However, we shall definitely be tempted by your pasties. A benefit [if it can be called that] of lockdown is that we have learned to make pastry. So, your pasties can now be given a try as they look perfectly delicious.

    We very much agree with your thoughts on dressing in a pandemic. Surely if everyone dresses for Armageddon, then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy. As we do not own any clothes which might make an appearance in a gym, it is easy to avoid such items. We dress each day as usual, only one of us possesses any trousers and the other can always be seen in make-up with a touch of lipstick. As we always say, "today we may be discovered", with a film offer or something similar. So, be prepared is our motto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am afraid I am one of those who dress for comfort at all times, except when I go out for a particular reason, festive or cultural. As I am likely to pop into the garden for a spot of dirt digging at any time I simply need to be ready to mess about, getting muddy.

    As for the vegetable mix, can’t you just dunk some garlicky bread in it and not bother making another batch of pastry? I frequently do when I have leftovers with a bit of liquid. Leeks would provide the liquid, wouldn’t they?

    I like to hear that you are aware of the necessity to take care of people and resources, too many simply use and abuse the gifts which are sooner or later going to come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of dunking bread in the leftovers. However, since I bake all my bread, this would involve baking bread, which I am out of just now, which is why I made the pastry! It's all connected in one way or another..

      I think there's a difference between dressing for comfort, which I assume all intelligent people do, and refusing to get dressed at all, just loafing in pajamas at home with maybe a presentable top in case you're on a Zoom call. That was what I was talking about. I have always dressed for comfort. But you can be presentable at the same time.

      Delete
  10. Right this minute, all my clothes look the same - at least the outside clothes - flannel pants, sweatshirts. Baby it's cold out there! And, come spring, all my clothes look like "work in the yard clothes". Come summer, shorts and t-shirts. Guess everything pretty much looks the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pasties do look tasty! I'm huge on comfort when it comes to clothes and being that I'm tall and a tad on the 'fluffy' side I tend towards buying men's long sleeved tops, simply because the sleeves MIGHT be long enough. Plus which, they're normally a whole lot cheaper than those made for women and often better made too. Having said that, most of my clothes are second hand (altho' I do draw the line at underwear, socks and shoes).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!