Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Free at last, more or less

 So, after a day of worrying about whether my car would finally start, under the load of snow and two days of not being turned on, I got out finally this morning, only one neighbor out digging, and cut a little way through kneedeep snow to get to the car, release the driver side door, and slide in.  And it started, great relief.  I had worried about having to jump it under pressure when the plows needed it moved so they could finish the parking lot.  We have tight parking, and we have to move cars around to allow access to the plows of various sizes to get in and clear completely. 

My across the street neighbor came out to join me, dug a better path so I wouldn't fall down in the snow, and suggested I put the engine to defrost while it was running anyway.  Great idea, released the snow faster from the roof.  And now it's more or less okay to go.  He said, another Michael, my life is full of lovely men named Michael, that he could easily get it out now if necessary.  My other helpful neighbor not in evidence at all this morning.  But I know help is at hand anyway. 

Officially the storm's done by 5 p.m. today.  True nor'easter, except with snow instead of torrential rain.  Could have been worse. And very few neighbors lost power.

Car breathing again, its load of snow gone

And neighbor getting a breather across the street on his porch.  I think banana bread is in his near future.  He's a wonderful cook, so I shan't tell him what's in it, just let him analyze it.

Now I can get on to important things, like my online knitting group and the big plans I have embarked on for my jacket, all explained at https://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.com.  Blogger no longer lets me link between my own blogs, so cut and paste is needed if you're interested in following up.  Give it a while, though, since I haven't yet written the latest blogpost.

Last night, in the throes of vaccine envy, I went online yet again, signed up for yet another site in addition to the all others, and found that there is still nothing available.  Unless you're in a high risk occupation or a medical worker.  Some local sites have nothing, no matter who you are. So I continue to mask and wait, but, I'm well, and capable of digging out my own car still, so there's that.

Reasonably happy camper here!  And thank you everyone who was so concerned about safety and the snow and the power and all that.  We appear to have survived again.

Wheeeee!!!

.


17 comments:

  1. I saw the weather news on the telly yesterday and south of the great lakes there was a HUGE swath of blue.... must have been your nasty snowstorm. Here in my corner of Canada there wasn't as much as a snowflake! I'm glad your car started and that you got shovelled out. I'm sure it will be our turn for a big dump of snow soon, but so far this winter has been super snowfree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy to have a snowfree winter, though we probably did need the moisture this big storm left for us.

      Delete
  2. Glad your car started.
    The snow here is small flakes that aren't piling up as deep as I thought they might. Thankfully, no moving car today was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear all of this as I was quite worried about your situation. Good for you! And how sweet to have neighbors you can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the heavy snowfall all day, then freezing rain and now rain. Misery with the heavy snow. Glad you came through the storm in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, too. I think we'll all deserve Valentine candy this year.

      Delete
  5. I think all any of us can hope for is to be relatively happy campers. So glad your car has reappeared from beneath the white stuff and that it started with no fuss. It's been really quite cold here the past week so ours groaned just a bit yesterday when we went out but I suppose we'd bloody well groan too if we had to sit out in the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lovely Michael in this household too, who would have been delighted to help shovel snow/move car had we lived a bit closer. I am impressed at your shoveling, and glad that the car behaved itself once dug out. And you do have great neighbors!

    Your snowdrops are undoubtedly thriving under that blanket of white.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quick survey of the Michaels, far and near,in and adjacent to my life: seven, all nice. Ranging from nine to seventies. Including the civic saint who checked out my car's mysterious battery woes.

      Delete
  7. Glad your car started! That's reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a huge snowstorm, how great that you have kind (and strong) neighbors to help when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every few years we get a big storm with over 20" of snow, so everyone has at least a bit of experience with it. And yes, generous neighbors are great at any time, especially now. This is one advantage of living in an all age community, where there are strong younger people who can physically help each other. My friends in 55+ communities are helpless, not enough people young and fit enough to keep everyone going. No teenagers either.

      Delete
  9. Knee deep snow!!! That sounds really bad. I would tell you it's 70 and sunny here but I don't want to invite that cold front to come down here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have few requirements of where I might live, no snow being the main one. pretty in pictures and that's the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could begin to deal with a Texas summer, though. NJ ones are hot but not as prolonged. I think I am as far north as I want to be, though,our winters not as prolonged as more northern states.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!