Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Miss Peregrine and other thoughts on defense and attack and being open

I just finished reading, well, galloping through, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs, and was amazed to find that I, this nonlover of fantasy, sci-fi, at all, was totally engrossed in this story. Full of adventure and angst, and relationships, and mystery, and fear and you name it, including some of my personal water-related fears, which I managed to read through anyway, it was a day of adventure.  

There's an element of Cassandra in it, too, speaking the truth and not being believed.  And an element of heroism, undertaken by a hero who does not see himself as any such thing. And a righting of wrongs, to some extent. And shape shifting, that ancient trope, seen all the way back to Greek and preColumbian mythology, used for very much the same purposes, too. And time shifts, which I usually find very irritating, very superficial, are here treated by a writer with much greater ability than the ones I've previously encountered who wrote in this style.  

It's not just a gimmick, the kind that annoyed me in previous attempts at scifi using time travel, but a pivotal idea in the novel.  He doesn't set up each part of time to mock the others and make fun of their primitive ways, nor have the earlier travelers gaping in wonder at how marvelous modern people are.  He knows that to everyone, when they lived was just how life was. They didn't dress in costumes and look quaint with their cute hand tools.  They just got dressed and went to work.  He has respect, is what I think I'm trying to say.


And it reminded me to be open to just trying books I come across even if they're in a category I thought I wouldn't like.  Sometimes I find I've missed something good.  I'm pretty good at giving things a try, but this was a little departure.  I thought I didn't much like books with modern Asian settings until I read a few of them. Some excellent Korean and Japanese and Chinese writers enlightened me on that point.

This morning's sighting on a walk on a grey, cold, raw morning: well, not a sighting, more a hearing.  A Carolina wren in the tree right above me, calling, and being answered by another wren from across the street.  Aha.  Soon there may be nesting and young to feed, and the squirrels, even Butternut Boy,  will be driven from the feeders if they get anywhere near a nest with babies.  

I've seen a tiny pair of wrens completely rout a sturdy squirrel who ventured too close, one pecking his head, the other his tail, as he galloped away.  They didn't stop until he was completely vanquished and hiding in the trees down the street.  Then they figuratively dusted off their beaks and went back to providing dinner for the family. Squirrels have pretty long memories, and once handled roughly by a pair of wrens, they don't come back, and their friends don't either, until the young have fledged and the danger is past.

So there we are, still listening to Richard Rohr and learning to let go, bit by painful little bit.  And seeing Josie George on Instagram, a long interview about her new book A Still Life, out in the UK, not available in the US yet, in any form.  She's a transformational thinker, not setting herself up to be one, she just is one.  

I follow her on Twitter, and am daily struck by the casual wisdom she expresses.  A person acquainted lifelong with disability and pain and restriction and yet able to create a life within tiny boundaries for herself, her son, and her long distance partner.  And to do it with grace and fun and humor, it's amazing to witness.  And recently, she's discovered miniature making, and is very excited about it.

 Her blog Bimblings,  here  is well worth checking into. Go there, you'll like her.



20 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that book too! I didn't think I would but my son recommended it and I read it just so I could tell him I did. No one was more surprised than I was to find it delightful. I think there's been a movie made too but I haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has, but I don't plan to see it now that I've got it all in my head!

      Delete
  2. I love the little wrennies; we had so many nesting in our yard. Except I think we had one male and his harem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty nice neighbors. Not as quiet as mourning doves, but lively.

      Delete
  3. I read that book too, right after I saw the movie. The movie does change some of the plot and characters around, so if you're enamoured of the book, it's probably best not to see the movie. Are you going to read all the sequels as well? I think there's a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sequels? I'll have to check into that. I did think the ending left room for more to come.

      Delete
  4. Ah, Carolina wrens! I love their feistiness and their song.

    I once proclaimed to a friend "I don't care for formal gardens". He said "Blanket statements are a sign of a closed mind". He was right. I hadn't thought I would enjoy "Miss Peregrine's". Perhaps I should give it a try.

    Quinn of Quinn Piper introduced me to Bimblings. What a writer!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you point out that his was a blanket statement? No, I think you're too kind to do that.

      Quinn also introduced me to Josie on Twitter. So grateful to her. Incidentally she's doing okay, is on Twitter but not up to longer form online presence just now.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reassurance. As I'm not on Twitter, I really appreciate the update.

      Delete
  5. Dear Liz,

    Well, you have certainly piqued our interest with this novel although we have to say that, like you, this is not a genre that we are usually tempted by. As you say, one can be pleasantly surprised by entering into a literary world that is unfamiliar but there is so much to read and only 24 hours in a day.

    We note that there is a film and, generally, if we have really enjoyed a book we avoid the film in order not to disturb the pictures we have already created for ourselves in our imagination. However, we did look up the film after reading your post to find that one of the actors, Asa Butterfield, is the son of a student taught by us many moons ago. We love these serendipitous connections..... peculiar children....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting connection there. The peculiar of the title refers to special powers. Each of them has one. The girl in the book cover levitates. Another conjures up fire. And so on.

      Delete
  6. The wrens sound wonderful, pun intended. I will check out Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went and read a post by Josie and she has already changed my perspective. Thank you.
    I have had downloaded Miss Peregrine at least once from the library to listen to and never, ever got very far and I DO like a good book that wanders through space and time. I will give it another go. Have you read any of Neil Gamin's books? They are lovely, and his voice, as a narrator if you choose to listen to them, is perfection.
    I am watching the birds at my feeder right now. The sound of their songs is sweet, the sound of their wings is a small fluttering miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noted Neil Garmin, thank you. You've given me good recommendations on books so I'll check.
      Very glad you read Josie.

      Delete
    2. I put a print version of Ocean on hold, meanwhile tried it with his audio. I found him a dreary reader, so I'll wait for the eBook.

      Delete
  8. I read that years ago. have you ever read The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman? you might like that. I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Mary had that in mind when she recommended Neil Gaiman. Thank you, I'll check.
      On the subject of recommendations, I just picked up the DVD of the Bobby Fischer movie. Tonight's viewing.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the recommenation of the blog and the book. We have house wrens here and they amaze with their big songs from such tiny bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, about the wrens. What pipes! Always a surprise to see who's making all that noise.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!