Saturday, February 6, 2021

Indoors gardening, outdoors prep for the slopes, goodbye to an antique car

This morning I dug out the little oak tree, which had a surprisingly long stem before roots appeared.  The redness of the stem adds some force to our thinking that it's a red, or a scarlet, oak. As well as the leaf shape. And there is the acorn.  Full marks to all the people who suggested oak.

It was high time to remove it from the plant, since it was starting to heave under the roots, and would have been a real problem if I had left it there to see what would happen.

And I found the little pot I had been thinking of using was way too shallow, so for the moment, it will live in water, until Spring when I transplant it to the woods outside to go back to its family.

While all this was going on, kids finally came out to play in the snow, bringing sleds, earmuffs, ski gloves and various paraphernalia ready for the time on the slopes.  Which currently include mountains of plowed snow from the last snowstorm. Just before the next one, which is tomorrow, another few inches.

 And my neighbor had her ancient historic MG citron color sports car, which has been taking up a spot for about fifteen years, unmoving, pretty much considered junk, even though with a noble lineage, finally towed.  

I saw her sadly handing over the key and the title to the tow truck man, and I wonder if she's found a collector interested in restoring it.  It may be past it, though, after so many years of disuse.  She was very attached to it, and seemed incapable of moving on it.  One of those people who do a lot of talking before any walking starts.  

Perhaps the HOA issued yet another final demand for her to move it offsite.  I think this was a very difficult afternoon for her, so hard to part with anything, and this probably had a lot of memories with it.  I didn't get pictures, thinking it would be heartless to treat it just as an event.  You do get involved with cars, and it's sad to say goodbye. I already have a complicated relationship with my Fit, after just a short time.

8 comments:

  1. Sweet little baby oak. I like the idea of you taking it back to its family.
    We CAN get attached to all sorts of material objects, can't we? Of course, it's the memories that we associate with them but we are creatures who cherish symbols, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to let go sometimes, but junk is junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your indoor garden in doing well by the look of it. We planted an oak seedling a few years ago and nursed it along that first year. It is already over our heads a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regularly to give oak seedlings to friends in new houses who couldn't afford bigger trees. It was lovely to see them shading the gardens years later.

      Delete
  4. Myself - I think the only car I'd keep forever, running or no, would be a 1920 Excalibur! Otherwise - just a thing like the stove or computer. Replace and move on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. We can be handcuffed by possessions.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that what must have been an eyesore has been removed from your sight lines. I'm sure it was a sorrowful parting for your neighbour though. Hopefully someone plans to restore it. Also glad that the plant has been identified and that you're going to save it. Just think how big it will become and that you will have contributed to that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!