Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The audiobook that's sustaining me right now

 I just started this, audiobook voiced by the writer, Franciscan priest Richard Rohr, whose thinking I've been following for many years.  He's a calm,balanced, understanding personality, who is very much in the modern mode of including everyone.  Including referring to God as he or she.  And not pursuing an agenda, just examining our times and thinking and suggesting ways to get through our lives. Not trying to convert or proselytize.


So I'm listening to his thoughts on the commodification of life, everything in life, work, things, even other people, can they be "useful contacts" and the church, too.  He doesn't condemn, but examines the ideas, as if he were holding up an object and looking at it from every angle.

The commodification of religion reminds me of an old English Catholic joke.  When traveling in England, it was sometimes a puzzle to know if you'd found a Catholic, Roman rite, that is, church when you wanted to hear Mass, or if you've found a High Anglican church.  

Everything looks so similar, including the sacristy lamp showing the presence of the eucharist, all that.  So the advice is: go to a service, and if almost the first thing you hear is:  "The second collection is in aid of, etc."  you're in a Catholic church!

Said with great gentleness, because yes, fund raising is a perennial feature of a religion which is not state sanctioned.

Anyway, moving along here, it's Lent, and I just happened to have come across this audiobook, but it seems so timely, that I'm listening to it while I chop wood, carry water, spin, ply and all that.  I can't just listen without nodding off to sleep, hence the activity while I'm at it.

I have never understood about Lenten deprivation, giving up things you love, any more than I understand New Year's Resolutions, trying to improve our poor selves.  No disrespect to anyone for whom this is a valuable exercise, just it's not for me.  I'd rather do something positive, than avoid something.  So I'm trying to do better all around, is about the best way to say it, rather than inflict all the details on you, dear blogistas. And studying this audiobook is part of it.

And yesterday a wonderful sign of spring: at the feeder on the street, a goldfinch feeding. We have a couple of pairs routinely flitting all over the street, sometimes even accompanying me on walks, so seeing one was nice. But what was exciting was that it was a male, about halfway into his brilliant yellow mating plumage.  So the season is definitely on. It may be perishing cold out there, in the single digits, to be exact, but spring is supposedly on the way.

I'm so concerned about the people in Texas whose government has let them down so totally.  Here it's cold, but I have a warm house and I can cook.  I hope fervently that the people without power, particularly the relatives of people reading in here, are restored soon and safely. 

The notion of cutting the state off from the national grid, which is why nobody can get help to them, was partly short sighted, partly a literal power, and wealth, grab, by a group of fossil fuel magnates.  It's not the green energy that failed, it's the planning, the failure to pay the extra for coldproofed windmills, for protected gas lines and natural gas sources, a false economy for the people, but a great windfall, pun intended, for the fuel owners.

Okay, that's my saying done.  I'm off to spin a bit more, arm permitting, in the hope of finishing the small weaving I'm working on.  When it's done, I'll talk about it over in Art, The Beautiful Metaphor, but it's not done yet, so if you're already up to date in that blog, you're still up to date!

13 comments:

  1. I've either never really understood the concept of giving up something that I love or was able to do so.
    It probably wouldn't hurt me but don't foresee doing it anytime soon. It just seems so weird- why would your god want you to give up chocolate? But then again, I just don't get religion. I do think that there are some people who in the Buddhist faith would be called Bodhisattvas to be found in all religions. Perhaps Richard Rohr is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right about Rohr. Certainly he's at home with all kinds of approaches, and is onjudgmental, refreshing in itself.

      I agree that I'm baffled by the notion of self mortification. It dates back to the early Church fathers who believed the body was a inferior sort of vessel, that only the soul mattered. What a poke in the eye for the God who created our beautiful bodies, works of art in every shape and size. I think we honor the body by taking care of it in every way, sexually, nutritionally, playfully, everything. Not by claiming it needs to be denied, gah.

      Delete
  2. I like that idea of doing something positive rather than giving up something. Adding to the good in the world is always desirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read your take on the power situation in Texas - of course, living in Canada, I was unaware of much of the reason behind the current issues they're facing. I thought it was all weather induced (which I guess it is) but it seems the fuel owners almighty greed is mainly at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote and lost a long cmment. Oh well. The thing is that there was a bad cold snap some years ago in Texas and the climate experts warned that the government should seriously consider allowing for future events, and winterizing fuel supplies and equipment. ERCOT, the supplier for most of Texas, declined to do so, since it cost extra. And now look. I think there may be a large class action suit looming in their future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would bloody well serve them right if you ask me (in reference to the class action suit possibility)

      Delete
  5. I wish I may see a finch in mid molt.
    Having Texas to blame for a problem that is Texaan is the perfect thing to give up for Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike and I were talking about the Texas disaster today, and coming to the same conclusions.

    As an agnostic, if I wanted to discuss religion it would be with someone like Rohr. Thanks for the lead, as I hadn't heard of him. I really appreciated Ms. Moon's comment about Bodhisattvas turning up in all religions. And I agree with Marie Smith. You have such wise commenters!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really value the comments our readers make. I learn a lot from them.

      Delete
  7. What's happening in Texas demonstrates why all utilities should be Public Utilities, collectively owned and run, not privately owned/operated. Utilities are too critical to basic human health and safety to be subject to the greed of uncaring profit motive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!