Wednesday, February 3, 2021

News from the feeders, avian and human

Dispatch from the front: the feeder out front, that is.  This morning, thanks to the extra suet block I put out  before the storm, there were customers, now that the wind has dropped and the snow isn't weighing down their wings.  

The usual juncoes diving in, the occasional  wren,  and, great excitement, a rose breasted nuthatch.  They only show up about once a year, about this time. I wonder if they're migratory.  The white breasted are always around. They're easily deterred by other birds, and tend to wait quietly until they can come and feed in peace. So great to see the rose breasted no.

The feeding front for the humans was about a dish I've been thinking about.  Baked rigatoni with sausage and mushroom.  Except I didn't have rigatoni, and the steps the recipes gave seemed a bit extra.  Also they talked about mild sausage, what's the point.

Anyway, I made it with macaroni, the rest of the hot sausages, and most of the mushrooms.  I had cooked the pasta earlier today, plenty of salt in the water. No need to add more to the recipe.  So, as the pasta was finishing up, I sauteed the mushrooms in butter with a sprig of Thai basil in, while I browned the sausage in olive oil.

Then, after the macaroni drained, I grated Vermont sharp cheddar over it and mixed it in to melt, before adding in the sausage and the mushrooms complete with the butter sauce.

Grated Parmesan into the mix, then more over the top, then baked the lot for about half an hour at 325F.  Since everything was cooked, no need to use a hotter oven, just enough to get the flavors going together.  No need for more seasoning, since the sausage is hot and spicy, and the mushrooms flavored with the butter.

This earthenware dish is great for even heat. It's large so it doesn't get much mileage. But for today, just right.


It was definitely good.  Several more helpings to go.  And this is a Plan B recipe, because if I get tired of eating it as is, I'll divide it and add to whatever soup I make next.  Sausage, mushrooms and pasta always go happily in soup, especially if tomatoes are involved, which they probably will be.

My plans to do a pickup from the library were postponed when Handsome Son announced he was making his snow-postponed visit this afternoon. 

Banana bread ready, check. Teatray, check. Teapots, plural, check. Bring it!

10 comments:

  1. I think we all made banana bread in the past few days!
    Love the pictures of the sausage and pasta. Looks really good. And even just a can of tomatoes cooked in would be nice, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks so good! I'm not so sure, though, I'd have the patience to bake it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas about the soup. I made a similar dish earlier this week. Enough for two days for us. I put onion and peppers with the mushrooms, added some homemade salsa too. We loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen a rose-breasted nuthatch. We have the white breasted ones at our suet feeder pretty much every day all winter long. That's one thing about pasta - it's so multi-purpose and just keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It's the kind to share. You should drop in!

      Delete
  6. Mmmm, your "rigatoni" casserole sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're enjoying a red-breasted nuthatch at our feeder this winter. What elegant little sprites they are! Hoping that the chickadees lurking in the neighborhood will stop in too. Usually they're keen on feeders, but despite hearing them for years we have yet to see one at the feeder. House finches, two species of goldfinch, and juncos at ground level are the common feeder birds here.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's the house finches keeping the chickadees away. They're aggressive to other species. There's a lot of pleasure to be had watching a feeder.

      Delete
  8. Nice winter meal
    Birds here, every time I cleared the seed off, it snowed again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!