Monday, November 2, 2020

Winterized. Hygge.

We had a wildly windy day, some people with power loss, but not this street. Drafty though, especially when my front door blew open, and was blocked by the door curtain, which saved the heat till I shut the door again.

Yesterday Handsome Son helped me change out the green and white striped canvas summer door curtain, which cuts the glare in the afternoon, and blocks the heat, for the big red felt winter one, which pools on the floor and is a good draft protector.  I keep the storm door in all year, not changing for a screen door, because I need the light from the front door, and it's the way to have the ac on and still get the light coming in.  Also I'm nosy and I like to see out.  I'm probably part cat.

I usually do the curtain change myself, but thought it would be wise to get  help this time.  It's awkward, involves climbing and wrestling with a tension rod and the curtain.  I did the climbing, just two steps, because I know how to install the rod without punching a hole in the wall, always an issue around here. He organized the curtain and held the weight off my hands, and stood close, while I slid the rings onto the rod, with much cursing. But it was a lot easier with the weight of the curtain held off my hands while I worked. That way I was able to get the rings on just once, not watch in dismay as they shot off again with the weight pulling them, while I frantically tried to stop it. And he was right there, in case I lost my balance.  I don't usually, but there's always a first time and it's best not to be alone on a stepstool at the time.

 Here's the last of the sun catching the treetops down the street.  Still quite a few leaves on the trees.


And it's time, reluctantly, to acknowledge that late fall and early winter are here. So I hauled out the cosy quilt throw for the sofa, originally there to keep cat hair off the furniture, but then left because it's warm and friendly.  And arranged the pillows around. And, folded there, the knitted blankie thing I made for Handsome Partner, for comfort in the wheelchair,  and have kept just because.


The empty plate held a muffin a while before this picture was taken.


The fake fire, with flickering flames is surprisingly cheerful, and I put it on for the first time yesterday for Handsome Son's benefit, which amused him quite a bit.  It has a heat function, too, which I don't use, since the thermostat is in the same room, and the rest of the house would be an icebox while the living room is cosy. What I think is too funny is that there's a remote for this.  You click your fire on!

He tested the beet banana muffins, two, split, toasted, buttered and with chunks of sharp cheddar, and pronounced them fine.  With the proviso:  I have to be in the mood to enjoy them!  Cracked me up.  But he liked them okay, just doesn't want me to wheel them out every time he comes, I'm guessing. Considering he hardly ever gets anything twice in a row, it's a bit over careful, to my way of thinking.

I heard from Handsome Partner that my mother in law was like that, if anyone was incautious enough to say they liked an item.  They'd get it morning noon and night.  I used to point out that if they'd appreciated her cooking, such as it was, more often, she wouldn't have been so amazed and so ready to repeat the dish.

She never claimed to be a good cook, but she faithfully churned out three squares a day for husband and sons.  I think it takes a bit of living alone for a guy to grasp just how much work it takes even to get the food from the store to the plate. And she was a skilled tailor, made most of the boys' clothes, so she was talented, just not in the food line.

I wasn't much of a cook in those days, before we were married, and I was still a student.  But I made her scrambled eggs on toast when we visited, and she was sooooo impressed.  I heard her telling the neighbor lady, "Ander (her nickname for him) found himself a braw wee cuik!" A fine little cook!  After she realized he would be cared for, she discarded her reservation that he was marrying "an English lassie" and we got on fine the few times I had the chance to meet her.

She's one of the few people I, a comparatively small woman, towered over.  She was well under five feet, as a lot of her Scots generation was.  I looked like a giant among her neighbors, because I was shock, horror, the same height as Handsome Partner, who was a small man. 

So this is all displacement activity to ward off the anxiety about the outcome of tomorrow's election. We shall get through this. One way or another.

16 comments:

  1. Maybe I should come back and read this again tomorrow as you had me chuckling all the way through. You've also reminded me I need to get my storm windows pulled up. There are five that need doing (a single front door and two sets of back french doors - whee! double the fun in the back of the house. They go down just fine in the spring, but when it's time to put them back up, they seem to not fit properly and I have coax and cuss until they get in line and set properly. I might be a bit nicer about it and they might behave better if I do it when it's nearly 70 (which it's forecasted to be this weekend) than when it's in the 40's and I'm realizing too late winter's nearly upon us - which almost always happen. Yep. I must do it this weekend, and clean the windows while I'm at it.

    Thanks for an enjoyable post. I don't know if you meant it to be so entertaining, but it most certainly was. To me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it's to enjoy! And I'm glad you did.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you asked for the help. It is important, I feel, that parents allow their children to help now and then. I'm so tired of dealing with the one curtain rod I have, I'm leaving the draperies off this year for more light, and less moisture for mildew to form.
    The fireplace is a neat cozy element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im learning to ask for help. It's difficult to acknowledge needing it, though. But I'm lucky to have someone to ask.

      Delete
  3. My mother wasn’t a great cook but she kept us fed and happy. Success in my book! The sofa looks so cozy and the fireplace gives great ambience. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, I've never heard of door curtains though I guess they'd work rather like a an entry hall - a place the cold is somewhat contained. Best to have someone around when on ladders. Falling off is never a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the curtain hangs directly down in front of the door, seen from the room, and acts as a second cold barrier and draft stopper around the door. To open the door you first draw back the curtain. In summer I toss it over the door to hang in front of the storm door as shade when the sun comes round that side.

      Delete
  5. Your couch is a cozy nest. I love it!
    It is hard to ask for help but there comes a time...
    I have the opposite situation with my husband's people. They are all giants! His sister is 6'4", her husband was about 6'6", their son's taller than both of them, my husband too. I am 5'4". I felt like a tiny elf among them and if we were all standing, I was looking directly into their chests.
    Good morning. Let us have hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've done all the work, now we're down to hoping for the good outcome.

      Delete
    2. I knew a family like that. One of their sons, about 6'8", was a lifeguard in summers as a student at private pools, most of which were so small he could just reach in and fish out the swimmer needing help. No need to swim in!

      Delete
  6. my first husband was tall but after we divorced I swore never to marry another tall man because of the crick in my neck from kissing. and as it happens I married a guy only 4" taller than me and that one stuck.

    I wanted to see the door curtain, but no pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light was too dim for a pic. I tried and it was not good enough even for my modest requirements.

      Delete
  7. My husband was a low average, still taller than his parents or grandmother, he was 5'7". I used to be 5'3", so it was a comfortable height.

    Agreed, after a certain point, the body wants to climb, but the head says, no....my balance is gone to hell, so I don't climb stools, chairs, or anything that doesn't have a railing I can grab. I have a really good kitchen stepladder that has a fold-away tray, meaning I can put things on it from higher shelves and not have to carry them down again.


    we voted this morning, delighted and grim about canceling each other's votes. I was amazed and pleased at the turnout; we got there a half hour before the school opened, and even then the line stretched out around all the buildings. It truly looks like they had a seriously good voting day.

    No proselytizing outside, no speechifying inside, and the girl waving the flag and the MAGA hat was asked to leave them in the car.
    Even when we left, an hour later, the voters were still arriving. This is a small town. At last count, I was surprised to hear, we had 6,000 people. If two thirds are registered to vote, that means 4000 people could have gone through those doors today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This election has galvanized people like the first Clinton one, first time I'd seen lines up and down the street at the polling place, before distancing.
      I hope it's a good sign.

      I can still climb fine, but I just think better to be careful before I need to be.

      Delete
  8. Very glad that Handsome Son was able to lend a hand - much safer than you teetering on a stool and having curtaining threatening to engulf you. I envy you that fireplace. How I wish we had room for one. I do keep eyeing the picture over the living room couch though and thinking that it could take up residence elsewhere, at least for the winter months. Maybe a good deal on an electric version will present itself.
    I enjoyed the 'review' of the muffins - at least he was tactful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fireplace insert, though the fireplace works except I'm done with lugging wood about, is electric. It has a heat setting I don't use, and this cosy flickering light setting which I use all the time for the atmosphere. It's surprisingly nice to have.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!