Monday, November 16, 2020

Tortillas my way

 So I made the tortilla recipe I showed you yesterday, involving flour and milk. Mixed, rested, all that. I used whole-wheat flour.


Divided it into six bits as per instructions.

Then I flattened the first ball of dough with my hand, and rolled it with a rolling pin. The first one I overcooked and got a collection of little bits, which are crisp enough to sprinkle in soup.


On to T2. This gave me a ragged little effort, but I fried it, not too much, rolled it up with ham and cheese, and had it for lunch. It was nice and pliable, tasted fine, and needed work on the shape.

However I decided that everyone doesn't have a tortilla press, so what could I press (!) into service? Aha, a glass baking dish.





Soooo I sprayed olive oil into a plastic bag, inserted the dough ball, pressed the pan on it, and achieved something more like a tortilla and less like a dishrag. You can use anything heavy I expect, but I wanted to see what I was doing.


Oiled my hands -- this is good for your skin-- and tipped the last four tortillas, interleaved onto parchment paper, for the freezer. If this works as well as the wraps did, thawed right before fried, I'll be happy.

So that's today's foray into the wrapaganza.

This was fun, like preschool clay time.




9 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Bet they’re delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder now about corn tortillas.

      Delete
    2. Corn tortillas should be easy after your magnificent solution to the press. Just know that they're made with masa harina rather than cornmeal. I don't know what would happen if one tried with corn flour (which is the same consistency as masa, but not treated with lime).

      I've seen Mexican women making them by hand - it's amazing how they can pat a ball of dough into a perfect round. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180q6Y9DE9U. Let me just say...harder than it looks!

      Cheers,
      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  2. Thank you!
    Making tortillas has been a huge challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I looked up tortilla press found how simple, a castiron piece, and decided weight was the thing. Transparent weight even better. Logical conclusion, use a glass pan. Bingo!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy reading about your experiments. I don't think I would ever attempt to make these myself though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to experiment. This one was really fun. I find I like sandwiches rolled like wraps or folded up like the quesadilla I have planned.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!