Thursday, November 19, 2020

Vanishing beets and other likely stories

The weather has turned cold, and there's nothing I like better than a hot bowl of soup, for making a person feel fit for whatever happens.

Today it's green soup, carrot tops, leek greens, tons of garlic, couple of red potatoes, chicken broth, basil pesto, seasoned with Bill Veach recipe curry powder, (let me know if you want me to give the recipe, it's very good, and fun to make at home) turmeric, kosher salt, and with added pumpkin water and beet juice, dash of lemon juice.  The beet juice is very fugitive, so where you see a rather lurid red here,  the color will vanish on cooking and become green. Likewise the seasonings were very golden, and they blended in to the green.  And I added in a handful of noodles.





Pumpkin muffin to go with.  Salty P. suggested it was a muffin type thing, and I agree, not to be presented as a cupcake, despite the paper case.  It's more savory.  She should know. Pumpkin is her last name.

This is a great soup.  You can feel strength flowing into you as you eat.  I did fish out a bunch of ultra fibrous remains from the carrot greens, and what's left is very manageable. 

Tomorrow my Misfits box arrives, complete with celery and lettuce, so I'm signing up for a few days of salads, too, ready for them at this point.  Misfits has certainly taken a shopping load off Handsome Son, who now has weeks with just a couple of requests, and one week with none, but an invitation to tea anyway.

The leader of my online Thursday centering prayer group got in touch, with today's link, and a question about whether we wanted to meet next Thursday, given that it's Thanksgiving.  I said no, I'd leave the Zoom traffic to people who really needed it for seeing family at a distance, since I'll be seeing Handsome Son in person.

My hidden agenda was to try to give her an evening off, by not obliging her to sign in.  However, one other person insisted they needed to meet, so she will try for it.  I wish they'd thought first, though.  Sometimes it's kind to agree to let something not happen for once. Leader Chris has family Zoom meetings, and now she'll have to juggle the prayer group as well.  I have a feeling that Zoom will be overloaded anyway, so it's possible that people may not manage to get online. Anyway, I did my tiny bit.

I'm definitely getting more absent minded.  To wit, ready to walk the other day: coat, check, hat, check, gloves, check, mask, check, phone, check.  Stepped out, ouch, this path is really hard today.  Look down.  Oh.  Shoes, check.

I'm about to go walking now, and this is in the form of reminder to self.  Shoes, Lizzie, shoes.  Always useful. Especially when the temp is about freezing.



14 comments:

  1. Lovley soup. The more I read about curry, the closer I am towards trying it again. Glad you found your shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything curried is great in winter, really warms you and doesn't make you feel overfull.

      Delete
  2. I've forgotten a lot of things when I leave to walk but my shoes have not been one of them.
    Yet.
    That soup sounds like health in a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the shoes. Give it time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soups are a main menu item here these days too. I made cream of mushroom soup this week. The flavour was intense and so delicious. Next week cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mushroom soup. The mushrooms missing from my last box were destined for soup. The other ones that did come ended up in a couple of tortilla wraps, good, too. But I do like the soup.

      I don't think I've ever made cauliflower soup. I should make a note of that, thank you.

      Delete
  5. Forgetting shoes - not yet. But not unusual to pull out of the garage before realizing I've forgotten my spectacles.

    Myopic Chris from Boise

    PS Yay for soups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you sometimes look every for your specs which are resting on top of your head? I might have been known to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere. Predictive text decided not to go for what I'd typed.

      Delete
    2. I might have been known to as well.

      Curried carrot soup tonight - determinedly plowing through that 45# of CSA carrots. Misfit order after that! (Mid-Dec?) We haven't yet turned orange...

      Delete
  7. so often i have trouble accessing your blog, today, no problem!! the soup sounds delicious, everything but the kitchen sink goes in, ?????

    and i answered your question on my blog, just in case i could not access yours. i ordered the crackers on amazon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoes are a good thing to wear when walking - as in walking for exercise. And, good when it's a tad chilly much less when it's near freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, I've gone off without my wallet a time or two but I do remember shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Won't mention how often shoes are almost an afterthought here, particularly in the summer. People tend to view bedroom slippers in the grocery store with a raised eyebrow. Bean soup was made yesterday and as usual it morphed into two gigantic pots rather than one. Oh well, some it blessed our neighbour and some will bless another friend. The rest is residing in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!