Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Midst elections and pots of tea, we breathe

The bears decided today was to be a quiet patient time, with tea refills all round. Ursula got a diluted version.



And after waking at 5am, scared to check on election results, but did anyway, slept again after an early breakfast, not as good as hoped, not as bad as feared. In two years a lot of vulnerable gop senators will be up, and we have a chance there. Hope springs eternal. With any luck we may have levered the current occupants out of the White House. We'll see. 

Meanwhile, experiments in wraps. It seemed like a good idea to do something in the kitchen involving pounding and shoving and rolling, and wraps were it.

The dough didn't work exactly like the Polish lady's dough on YouTube, possibly Polish flour is different. I did end up adding a spoonful of water and a spritz of olive oil in addition to the recipe. And since I can not find the recipe again, fortunately I made notes for my Big Binder, I can only offer you the post-it.

I also got a lot more wraps out of it. She made four. I think I got about twice that. You mix the dough, knead, then let it rest. How come I do all the work and the dough gets to rest, I mutter.


Then, picking a bowl to mark the dough the right size for the pan, to cut around the circle and add the scraps to the next wrap.


And rolling happily. And stacking. 


And interleaving with parchment paper to freeze. Fast food for future use. 


And frying the dough. I wondered if it would be elastic enough to roll, it might just crack. But no, it rolled a treat. This is fun to do, like pancakes.


And here's today's lunch, stuffed with cabbage mix.

I'm thinking of stuffing future ones with spicy potato, dosa style.  Or various other ideas I haven't had yet.

I thank the friends who kept up a helpful email exchange yesterday, helping each other get along and breathe. You all know who you are!  Waving a wrap in your honor! And looking forward to when we can declare, about the election, "It's a wrap!"

11 comments:

  1. Election results. The end to bickering and bashing will go on for weeks. And now reading headlines people are preparing to protest another 4 years of Trump is going to put many people into therapy. Enough is enough already with the hatred! If hehas won, and I don't think he has, then more violence, I fear, will make this country a hundred times worse than anything Trump has done. Think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were emailing, I can't find your email r would have sent one to you. Exhausted here/ Lukas is sick and showing first symptoms, worrying and not curable and will at some point need to say goodbye, though not imminent. Your lunch sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about Lukas. This is such a hard time. I've been there, and just tried to enjoy what we could together. Lukas will know what he wants, maybe just to be by you. And you'll know when he's ready.

      Delete
  3. You are optimistic for sure! Hope everything works out as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have given up activism years ago if I weren't optimistic. Also I'm fortunate to live in a state with a governor who knows what he's doing, and a legislature that votes my way! We just legalized marijuana and the enabling legislation will expunge the records of the huge numbers of african americans jailed and fined, far more than their white counterparts for possession of tiny amounts. All the public questions succeeded, but the other two are a bit technical for readers who don't live in NJ so I won't detail them, but I think they're good.

      Murphy has also installed firewalls protecting reproductive rights in the state, no matter what scotus does,and health insurance. He instituted a new state exchange, that former gov. Christie flatly refused to, on the grounds that people might use it and get health insurance, shock, horror.

      Delete
  4. Wraps look delicious. Maybe the polish lady likes them thick. I had some chimichurri, a spicy rice dish. That would go well in a wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think a lot of things would be good in a wrap. It transforms plate food into portable food.

      Delete
  5. late to comment but I've been absorbed by the blow by blow vote count after refusing to watch on election night. Wed morning like you said...not as good as hoped, not as bad as feared but today Biden is ahead in four of the five outstanding states. and we still have a chance to take the Senate with run-offs in Georgia. I feel better than I have since Trump was appointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the win is declared, I'm breathing freely for the first time in years.

      Delete
  6. I'm behind in commenting once again and as I type this the announcement has just been made that it's done...and we can all heave a sigh of relief. Now we sit back and watch the fallout from the temper tantrum that's bound to explode from the 'outee'. One wonders if, come January, there will need to be application of handcuffs and a strait jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's talk of his buying a cable news channel, heh, with what, I wonder, and maybe his handlers are trying to lead him in that directions to avoid even more fallout.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!