Thursday, November 5, 2020

Doings on the home front

 Since I can't be out saving the world all the time, there's stuff happening at home too.

The Tank Lid Caper

Early this morning my neighbor who's getting the plumbing overhauled, was at the door with the promised tank lid, which looks like a match for the broken one at the condo.


I texted Handsome Son to come and get it, since he's off today, and get a cup of tea.  Both of which he did, and graciously let me take a pic.


Final Garden Clean up for the year

The flowers are done, so the pollinators are gone, and I can cut and toss.


Russian sage and Montauk daisies



Thyme and Autumn Joy sedum







News of the indoor garden

The weather's suddenly mild, so I finally, years late, got to separating and repotting the aloe previously hopelessly squashed into too small a container. The pots and soil are out in the outdoor closet, so the weather's a factor, not wanting to chill the plants being moved.

One section now lives next door in my friend Amitha's rapidly growing collection. She had seen me at work on the aloe out on the path, came to ask a few plant questions. That's why there aren't any pix of the process. People first. So my attention was on her. And while I was at it, I offered her a division of aloe. She has one,but a different variety, so she was happy to house it.

Back home I now have a working kitchen aloe 


And upstairs a leisured aloe chatting with her friends. Once her shape has recovered from the overcrowding in her former housing, I'll see about another repotting.


Also downstairs, I noticed the sudden eruption of a long stem and buds from the spider plant I moved and repotted. First in years, so I think the repotting was a Good Thing tm.


Then a cabbage onion wrap, and a longish walk in the sunshine to prevent kinks in my back from the garden cleanup. 

And it's still early afternoon. I attribute this cheery energy to the sunshine, the neighbor coming through with remembering the lid, and with some political news, to wit:

Bucks County, Pennsylvania, home of the wealthy one per cent, reliably republican since the dawn of time, turned blue!! Overnight news.

Also georgia Dem Ossoff appears to be so close to the appalling Perdue in their senate race, that he might, just might, force a January runoff.  And also in Georgia sen. Loeffler, who enriched her enormous portfolio using inside knowledge about covid, is in a January runoff against a Dem.  Two more bites at the Senate cherry! We may yet get this, friends! 

Unusual to have both State senators up, but Loeffler was appointed, not elected and must run in order to secure the seat. And, as the count goes on, Biden, too,  is narrowing the gap in Georgia.

We should warmly thank Stacy Abrams for a lot of groundwork that brought us to this place. Her endless work to preserve the vote and fight vote suppression is a big part of why Loeffler and Perdue didn't just walk away with the seats.

Suppression is the reason Abrams is not currently Governor of Georgia.  Their actual governor, in an interesting bit of karma, is quarantined for covid-19, and because of the draconian voting rules he put in place, in continuing vote suppression moves, can not vote! Snookered.

The first of that man,  you know who's, lawsuits trying to void uncounted ballots has been thrown out this morning on the grounds of no evidence.

Pretty good day, all in all. From humble toilet tanklids to the future of our republic, you get it all here! 

Keep breathing, keep watching, keep calm.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you got the tank lid, and Handsome Son is indeed. As for the rest, not unexpected though there is now some reason for hope on the horizon which I am also glad about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all so traumatized by the last four years we hardly dare hope, in case it's too much. But I do.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking similarly to e above - handsome son is indeed a handsome son. So good to have a face to go with the stories of how good he is to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both. I just realized when I studied this pic, that he reminds me a lot of one of my brothers. Even the way he sits and tries to keep a straight face for a pic!

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks in pretty good shape for winter. The aloe is beautiful too.

    I always wonder, from my seat here in Atlantic Canada, how Blogger friends are feeling about the election business in the U.S. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be helpful to name a few names and give a bit of background. Despite the shenanigans Trump is desperately trying to stir up, I think we've saved the republic. But there will be a lot of repair work to do. Everyone's exhausted. I'm just waiting for the moment the race is declared. Then we can all exhale.

      Delete
  4. Handsome Son resembles my Handsome Brother!
    It feels good to get things in order and cleared away, doesn't it? Whether we're speaking of plants or the White House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The White House will take a lot more cutting and bundling and tossing!

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see a photo of Handsome Son (who is, indeed, handsome!).
    Yes, relief is the order of the day right now - and I don't even live in the US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting thank yous from other countries. It's lovely. And they're ringing church bells across Paris Friends in Edinburgh saying they can breathe better now, even with the terrible government they have in place. Yes, it affects everyone, and I'm so glad I did all I could to help get us here.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!