Thursday, November 12, 2020

Maisie Dobbs and thoughts on masks

 


Right now, I just finished reading the first Maisie Dobbs book, called, doh,  Maisie Dobbs.  After that she's the main character in the series, but they have other titles.  I didn't post yesterday, for various reasons, one being that I am very concerned about inadvertently glorifying war by my words of appreciation for the people in combat. No criticism of those who posted movingly yesterday, just my take.

But I did read Maisie Dobbs, which is very much involved in the first World War, and the battle of the Somme, in the course of the narrative.  It's accurate, thoughtful, and compassionate reading, though it's really a mystery story, and she's a onetime battlefield nurse, now a private investigator and scholar.

The narrative also centers those men who had terrible facial injuries, to the point where they were shunned by family and friends, and had to endure this ingratitude on top of the war wounds and ptsd, then called shell shock.  But ptsd was little understood outside the medical community.

There were new technological advances in reconstructive surgery, and on masks, made of thin tin, colored to match the wearer's own remaining skin, but a sad attempt at trying to simulate normality.  The men wore linen masks, too, to disguise their facial appearance. 

Maisie's intellectual mentor, Maurice, points out to her that we all wear masks, whether physical or emotional, and this is coming home to this reader, now in the era of mask wearing almost all the time.

One odd advantage to people like me about mask wearing is that,  I can't very well recognize people, and  usually keep a friendly smiling face on all the time out of doors, just in case. But now the mask covers my expression to the point that I'm now finding my face relaxing when I'm out, and it's wonderful. I had no idea how much tension I was lugging around with this defensive smiling mask.  And my normal expression looks very glum now, no matter how cheerful I might feel, gravity does this when you get old, so it's a good idea not to dwell on it! 

My dad served and was terribly wounded, at the Battle of the Somme, mentioned in Maisie Dobbs, and in his later years, not very old, he only lived to his sixties, after all the other sibs had left home and I was alone there with both parents, he talked to me a bit about his experiences.

The horrifying accounts of battlefield medical procedures, scraping of exposed bone with minimal access to morphine, desperate to avoid gangrene and loss of limbs, that you read?  take it from me, they're true. He endured this as just a kid, about 20 at the time. After lying out in no-mans-land for two days till medics could get out and bring him in to the field hospital.  The Salvation Army were the brave medics. And the endless rehab back in England, and the nurses who were amazing and terrifying all at once.  He limped for the rest of his life.  There's more, but that's enough to give you the gist. He, like Billy in the novel, could have lost legs if not for this harrowing early treatment.

As his daughter, I read Sebastian Foulks' Birdsong, a novel based heavily in and around the trenches of the time, partly because if he could live it, the least I could do was read it.  It's a wonderful novel, a love story as well as a stark picture of history.  I really recommend it.  It's important to understand just what it is people endure in combat.

And I always say, the civilian population, little kids in year after year of  rationing and bombardment and darkness and cold with little fuel at home, collecting rosehips and tinfoil for the war effort,  and wondering where all their big brothers have gone, and when this would all end, they're to be remembered, too.

Somber today.  Let's try not to let violent men thrust us into war again.  

9 comments:

  1. That would be my most fervent prayer. No more war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No more war!

    Your day was a brave young man! Thank you for sharing his story. Lest we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my young son was always fascinated with weapons of all kinds. not guns particularly. as a teen he and his friends would put on heavy layers, goggles and go play war in the woods with their BB guns. he's got a BB in his leg. out of high school he gets the great idea of joining the army reserves for money for college without discussing it with us, just came home and announced it confident we would not go to war during his time. and then of course Bush invaded Iraq. he was not a combat soldier but an 'engineer', spent his 18 months (two tours) building transfer stations for fuel and barracks on bases that were bombed daily. he came home physically intact but is still dealing with the emotional and mental toll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those invisible wounds take a long time, and ate often not understood by onlookers. People aren't the same when they come back from war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Liz. Thank you. How young most soldiers are - the ones on the battlefield, at any rate.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This always strikes me, that cynical commander's want eighteen year olds or about, because they're in their physical prime and they're also too young to believe death and injury can happen to them. So they can be trained to battle.

      It was kids who saved Europe in WW2, of all nations. Not unlike the kids campaigning now. for climate activism and gun control.

      Delete
  6. I always watch the Remembrance Day service from Ottawa and it always brings me to tears. It's a sad day for the veterans, many of whom have been left with not only physical scars but mental ones as well. It's good to know that society as a whole is realizing the mental scars that our troops (both past and present) deal with and are finally attempting to provide some aid. Too late for many unfortunately. I spend a lot of time researching on Ancestry and a number of my relatives enlisted when they were in their early teens. Some made it home but a large number didn't. I hope there is never another war but man being man it's probably a hope we hold in vain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find so sad is when boys far too young lied about their age in order to enlist. So many never lived to really grow up.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!