Friday, January 3, 2020

Thoughts in downsizing today, no pix. Pretend it's radio.

On the subject of clearing out stuff, I've had a few waves of emotion as I've been doing it.

And first I had to remember to let them happen. Not tell myself not to get down. I'd never tell anyone else that, so why not be kind to me, too.

For me it's the adventure of starting a big change in my life, the prospect of moving, different environment. Alone. I've done a lot of major stuff alone, been single twice as many years as I've been partnered.

Sometimes this feels exciting, sometimes, in the middle of the night, scary. So it's okay not to be perfectly calm and accepting all the time. Some of the time would be good, though.

Back to the clearing: we all do it differently. I'm not much for the counting of items as I go. Largely because art materials don't exactly lend themselves to counting. But I do like to go by small area, such as just one surface, or one cabinet. That way I can see results.

And since my main focus is the studio, which is on the third floor, I'm getting a lot of stairs in. Last evening I wondered why I was so tired, until I realized how many flights I'd been up and down, and how much lifting and lugging I'd done. It's heavy work. Especially to a lady in her ninth decade.

Which brings me to the last bit: I'm so glad I'm allowing a lot of time to do this. If you can manage that, it avoids a lot of stress.

There, go forth and chuck stuff around!




But maybe a little reward might be good, just to keep up your energy. My English Christmas treats arrived, a bit late, but calling for a pic after all

10 comments:

  1. Candy!
    I have a mind to make barely pops.
    Down sizing boosts confidence once a clear space is visible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely make candy but have plans for peppermint chocolate bark for Valentine's day. To give. Maybe a bit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what half of these are -- invented since I left, so there's a bonus of discovery. Maybe that one makes your hair curl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're doing it right, Liz. Slow and careful. And it does indeed take a lot of courage, and plain old push, to make a choice like that before you are bullied into it.
    It also sounds like it might be the next adventure, so there is that.

    But in the meanwhile, be sure and spoil yourself a bit, it's good for the soul and the spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your timely words. I'm surrounded in rl by people who think I'm very competent, and don't always recognize the best foot forwardness and brave facedness it involves.

    Largely because my life has many times put me in the position of holding things together and keeping optimism going and appearing to know what I'm doing.

    It's ok all in all. But there are times when I would like a grown up to appear, and take over! I'm guessing a lot of people feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the same thing, trying to clear out, but not on a scale like you are doing! Good luck with it all. I agree, it's tiring, hard work--even mentally it's challenging to make so many decisions. And those candy bars! I bought the same ones for my family this Christmas and they were a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is coming this afternoon to help with carrying stuff, and has staked his claim to some of the candy bars. Seems fair.

      Delete
  7. I think if we're in the clearing out mindset it really doesn't matter our method, provided the results are there. We're all trying to simplify our lives which I think is a direct result of all the unrest in the world. If we can make our own surroundings calmer at least it might help us feel better about everything else. Good thing the chocolate is in YOUR hands and not mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of it is in Mike's hands now. He left me some of it.

    This was after lugging heavy awkward stuff down from the studio and across the parking lot to the dumpster, several trips up and down two flights. And accompanying me next door to feed the cats.

    He taste tested the crackers. A lot of them. With Colby Longhorn cheese. Quite a bit of banana/date/sunflower seed cake. Two pots of tea. Good reviews.

    He went home with a couple of tools and a bag of chocolate bars.

    Very successful afternoon all round.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!