Tuesday, January 7, 2020

January flowers now, with a bonus

Here's the current state of the flowers. Carnations cut back, pachysandra unchanged, anemone petals about to be consigned to the freezer.



The idea about the petals is to hammer the color into linen or some other natural fiber. You did know you can do that? Lay out the destination fabric, arrange petals on it, cover with another cloth, hammer at will.

 It's lovely, and not only transfers shape and colors very pleasingly, but satisfies the urge to hit things with a hammer. I have such urges, and it's better to restrict it to inanimate objects.

You can also use petals to wrap and steam in silk to transfer similarly.  Anyway, no need to waste lovely strong pigment.

Flowers and making stuff are keeping me going. That and visiting charming kitties.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tip. I will try the hammer thing when I buy carnations next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works with heavily pigmented petals best. Do try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Liz, you do give me courage. I have this vision of a lovely English lady, armed with a hammer and flowers, beating the living daylights out of them...I may try that (some days only a hammer and a stubborn nail will do), my christmas cactus flowers are beginning to go by, Im curious to see what might happen.

    You do realize I'll have to explain this to my husband. Carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to have the hammer in your hand during the conversation. It could help make your point. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that about pounding flower petals! I might have to try it sometime. What interesting framed art it could make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see nice things appearing in your shop! It's very nostalgic feeling. And you have plenty of bright colored flowers to work with. Let us know in summer if you try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!