Thursday, January 30, 2020

This downsizing has become an unstoppable force

Not thinking about downsizing today, more wondering about a lovely little Shelley teaset  I have packed away. I'll show you when I unpack it.

 The story is that I sold it to a friend, who then after a lot of backing and filling, loved the set, perfect condition,  declined to accept it, insisted I keep the check. I never did find out what the back story was, but surmised there was domestic arguing about buying yet more china, but they didn't want me to be the loser because of it.

Which annoyed me, because I wanted to sell it locally, no shipping angst. Though there was getting the right box, and the right packing material, earthfriendly, careful packing all for naught.  So I put it away in a snit.

Then during the night I thought:  why don't I just unpack and enjoy it myself? I'm worth it. So I will. The opposite of downsizing, but oddly, it fits into the idea of keeping what you use and enjoy.

So today, I made another bag of other dishes and kitchen gear for the thriftie, including sorting the dyeing supplies (in the kitchen, because stove and water), which are now in one single crate





 and studied bookshelves.




The result is: one empty, one partly


And a bag of books, readable but not up to library needs for the thriftie run


And a bag of library donations.

Also plans for two folding bookshelves still in the studio, one to replace the white bookcase, one to replace a big bookshelf thing currently storing shoes near the front door.

I may already have a taker for the big one. The others will adorn the dumpster area until they're picked up by neighbors.

Not bad for a day of officially not doing much.

I'd say I added value to the day.

11 comments:

  1. You are amazing getting books out the door.
    It is very difficult to down size books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full disclosure: some are duplicates, and there's another still on the shelf. And some I now have on my Kindle. But I did part with quite a few that other people might enjoy. Especially the bag of paperbacks headed to the thriftie. They'll go cheaply, nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with books, my only rule at this stage is, "I'll never read it again, why keep it" which covers a LOT of ground these days. There's something about book ownership, isn't there. I mean, we have libraries, we have kindle, we seem to form a personal relationship with a book we've read.
    I had to replace three of Terry Pratchett's books (paperback, dreadfully bound) this summer, the pages were fluttering away as I opened them...and by jingo, if it's a set, I want all the books, please.

    Just don't get crazed about parting with things (a la the tea set) that you really do cherish, or you may find yourself in a new place with one towel and a bar of soap and not much else...

    How are the Dollivers taking all of this?

    I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but our local librarian for most of my life was a woman named Mrs. Dolliver. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes on the books. There's a point where it's about wanting to share them, not hang on grimly!

    The Dollivers were issued with furniture from a freecycle, and are sitting on a high shelf observing the madness.

    Funny about treasuring things. I don't treasure much. Probably because I didn't grow up with family things, have only a dictionary from my parents, in total. Then we sold a lot, emigrated with two suitcases and a box of books (!). Crossed country with a carload, total. Moved seven times after that. So I don't have a history of keeping much stuff.

    Most of what I make I sell or donate. I guess what matters to me are the art materials and tools and those I could rebuild if necessary.

    So it's not very heroic to part with things, come to think of it. People and ideas loom larger. But I will take care to have enough to function with!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The teaset is not treasured. It's a leftover from antique dealing days. It's good stuff, though, worth enjoying rather than taking up shelf space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're currently using what were my mothers 'good' dishes (Trillium pattern by Royal Albert) on a daily basis. We were planning to buy some new plates and I remembered that the 'good' set was in the cupboard - unused. So...rather than buy new, we're using them. I still need to find a new home for all the completer pieces that I have no use for. Don't want to send them to the thrift store and would prefer to sell them but that's a logistical nightmare. I like added value days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've downsized dishes that were given to me beyond my needs. Just keep the ones I use.

    I'm finding that a whole lot of the items I'm moving out got in here when someone unloaded them onto me. It's proving not too hard to move them on. I'm getting down to what I want around me, which is quite a small fraction of what was here. I've been too polite to refuse unwanted goods. But now I have a rule: no, I won't find a good home for that! You can do that yourself!

    And I already have people saying, oh, now you have room to take xyz from me, and I need to stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate your thoughts on your china. I've been giving my dishes some thought, but I'm not ready to act on those thoughts yet. Mostly because DH wouldn't understand my choices in what I'd get rid of. But yes, I agree that using your china is a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops... I see it wasn't a set of china, but a tea set. My thoughts are the same, even if the set isn't as large as a set of china dishes would be. Or I possibly don't know what I'm talking about since I've never owned a tea set. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sad thing about china serving pieces is that they're difficult to place. People don't eat that way now, much more casual and they don't really want tureens and chargers and those formal pieces. The recession did away with a lot of the local antique shops around here that used to put them in the window for display. It might be possible to sell to a china matching service though. If you can tolerate the packing and shipping. I really got tired of that in my antique days. My customers were long distance, no shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!