Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Soup, and more soup

My neighbor, the one who delivered the chess set, brought me a bowl of freshmade Italian Wedding Soup the other night.



Great timing,  since I was out of soup.


Then yesterday I watched Kate on Last Homely House making soup, this one cashew ( which she pronounces kshOO), and carrot, and I thought, well, that's one I haven't tried.

So tonight I made it, cashews, carrots from the freezer, knew I'd use them soon, ginger, frozen, chunks ready for this, onion, freezer, garlic likewise, are you seeing a pattern? How to be ready!



I did notice two schools of thought on the cashews: one that you soak, drain, rinse, faff around, but don't add them till the soup is done, and Kate, who slung a handful in right from the container and cooked them along with the rest of the ingredients. I soaked briefly, but did chuck them in with the soup right along.

And it worked a treat. I wondered if I'd like this, maybe a bit sweet.



Found that my only complaint is there isn't enough. Next time I'm doubling the recipe because it's wonderful. I like enough soup for now, and tomorrow and a few helpings in the freezer. This recipe made three bowls. Need more!

The best part of winter is soup.

6 comments:

  1. Soup is my go-to food when I am ill, don't want to cook a lot or have leftovers to use up. This one looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious. And I love to have soup in the freezer, so that on cold days, coming home, I can have a hot meal, no waiting. Or days when I just don't feel like cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making more soup this winter, myself - and have enjoyed having some in the freezer when soup's the thing that will most hit the spot. Seeing your beautiful pictures here I'm thinking I need to apply myself to posting some (along with their recipes) on my blog. That a nice thank you gift that Wedding soup was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do. We all like to see other people's food, I think. I have readers who aren't interested in the other subjects, but perk right up when it's food.

    Today was exactly when I needed soup, icy wind, fasting blood work, I don't do well fasting, then lovely soup for lunch. Set me right up again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm - that cashew soup does sound good! Every fall Resident Chef fills our freezer with soups and we eat on them all winter (he creates more as the freezer empties out). He likes to know that there are some quick and easy meals available should we be felled by any 'bugs'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think of stocking up like that, but I haven't managed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!