Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Textiles and Tea, Knitters and Crocheters, spring is sprung

The Tuesday knitters group was fun, with a new member, S., who learned to make her first crochet chain! She's a knitter, brand new to crochet


And here's D, wearing one knit while creating more -- double knitting

and here's Q. recently a complete beginner, now knitting this monochrome raised design blanket. Elephants for baby H.

Convo ranged over early days in the town before there was mail delivery, home care for old relatives, hand massage for knitters, kitchen reno, singing, weather, babies, and friendly neighbors.

Then home to Textiles and Tea with Suzi Ballenger, a weaver and paper maker who loves unusual threads, particularly bast, meaning plant threads such as linen, and steel thread. She weaves shoes, too!





More talk than slides, a very entertaining artist who will try any idea, just to see. She describes her stripes as her attention span -- move on when ready. 

And the weather was so warm, cold wind gone, I had a great walk, still light and sunny after five. Some finds in the neighborhood.


Late snowdrops early daffodils


Cherry blossom starting


And these miniature iris among crocus, showing you just how miniature they are.


You up for a puzzle? We may have run this before, but some newer blogistas may not have seen it. Funny clues only, please, no giving the answer, other people need time.

Happy day, everyone, talent, including yours, abounds!







28 comments:

  1. I have never heard of someone weaving shoes. Amazing really. The knitters group sounds wonderful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different combo of people each time, but always fun.

      Delete
  2. So much beauty! Did Suzie weave those jelly beans, too? If so, she’s my hero (and I might consider taking up jelly bean weaving myself)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, they were just inspo for the striped piece! Jelly beans remind me of Easter.

      Delete
  3. The shoes are fabulous. Lots of inspiration at the knitting group it seems and your nature walk is heartwarming - have you got results this year from the bulbs you planted for your sister's memorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year of all the dozens of snowdrops I planted, about five came up in one little area. I got a credit and used it on a hibiscus which is still dormant, so we'll see.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I believe there are patterns online so you can make them like espadrilles, from canvas. Or you can weave them..

      Delete
  5. Wow did you ever have a creative day!!! And a lovely walk on top of it!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yrs, a good day, all kinds of good things.

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    The shoes are rather fab... though not for wet weather (*cough*)... YAM xx (who has finally landed where a decent wifi signal lives - for a couple of days anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, these are indoor or dry weather togs.

      Delete
    2. Hari Om
      😉 That was my hint at the puzzle answer...so successfully disguised! Yxx

      Delete
    3. Too subtle!! I'm often oblivious to clever clues. Oh well.

      Delete
  7. Q's elephants are delightful. Beginning knitter no more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always find something new when I come here. Woven shoes, whodda thunk it! Spring is springing in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Espadrilles are woven canvas and I think this is a similar pattern.

      Delete
  9. Those woven shoes are something to think about.
    One lonely crocus has bloomed in my yard. I got close so it knows I care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you consider maybe making shoes? I'm glad you visited the lone crocus.

      Delete
  10. Wow very nice post but the shoes are to live for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the idea of trying these out. Just think, shoes made to fit, for once.

      Delete
  11. Blow me down and dowse me well - I come back after too long and find a puzzle. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, welcome back, we missed you. Great clue there.

      Delete
  12. I love the 'move on when ready' attention span. That pretty much describes me! And a beginning knitter knitting elephants - wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some adult beginners have a pent up skill, which quickly shows up.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!