Monday, March 18, 2024

Daffodils, potholder and broken bits

 The squirrels evidently like the daffodils, too, and broke a couple playing with them. So they're now indoors, scenting the room powerfully, the white one fruity, the yellow ones peppery 


Here you see through to the patio, chairs summerized,  just organized for sitting in, not washed yet. Rushing the season.


And here's one of my favorite paintings, which I've shown you before but it's worth seeing again. And when I remember the painter's name I'll credit her. Ed note: Brynhild Parker, thanks to Yamini.


And Atomic Shrimp went mud larking on the fossil coast of the UK, where a Victorian landfill slumped onto the beach, full of bits of crockery. His YouTube channel is full of excursions like this.

Gary is back from a trip and came dashing over last evening to get his photo taken to prove to his daughter he does still get dressed up in a suit sometimes. He'd been in the city today. To people here that means Manhattan. 

He also arranged to fix my leaking downstairs toilet today or tomorrow, and renewed his pleas on me not to send the eight- foot ficus to the library, he'll miss it!  So will I, but better to do it now than leave it for Handsome Son later. 

I won't miss hauling it out in summer and back in fall, and my friend at the library is all set to do all that, even has the indoor and outdoor spots picked out. 

Their indoor light is so much better than here, plenty of overhead light, just what a ficus likes. I just get to admire it when I visit. I've taken care of it for fifty plus years, time to hand over.

And meanwhile I'm nearly done with the Quilted Potholder.



I learned quite a bit in the course of making it, one thing being that my running-stitch skills are rusty, after only a few weeks of not stitching. 

Another was that toweling shifts and creases with handling the way batting doesn't, and needs more securing pins at the outset.  And that I need more pins, having used all my meager supply and it wasn't quite enough. 

A bit more overcasting round the edges and it's ready to use. There are no leftover scraps, the hanger having used up the one extra bit. My Mermaid Potholder is almost there, though I'm not sure mermaids use them much.

Newish Haggard Hawks puzzle

Funny clues only, and bear with me if your clue is too subtle for me and I solemnly answer it!

Happy day everyone, don't worry if you miss the point, there'll be another one along in no time.




38 comments:

  1. Your ficus will have a grand life at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m feeling troubled and stroppy... Clueless.

    Beautiful flowers. Beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I think Brynhild Parker is your artist... and I am not sure you could print some of the words that jumped to mind with that list prompt! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, fixed the name. Your imagination is active!

      Delete
  4. I'd love to go mud-larking. Struggling with that puzzle though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to let Shrimp and Jenny trudge through the mud and debris to retrieve interesting bits.

      Delete
  5. 50+ years looking after one plant is tremendous. Mind you, my clivias are more than 30 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do a lot for my plants, but they seem okay with that.

      Delete
  6. I have to rescue daffodils like that every year, usually after the dog breaks them off. I've never noticed the scent, though! You must have a very perceptive nose. (Or very powerful daffodils.)

    I think it's great you've found a new home for the ficus. I hope it acclimates smoothly. Sometimes they drop leaves when they're moved but they often bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daffodils have a powerful scent. Or maybe they're powerful daffodils. I thought about you when I was cutting them to bring in
      The ficus throws her leaves out of the pram at any move, so this one will be the same I expect.

      Delete
  7. Flowers are such a lift to the spirit. I really enjoy your Gary interactions! I cannot imagine keeping a house plant alive for 50 years!! Good job on the pot holder and the puzzle gives me a headache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think that not fussing at plants suits them better than endless housekeeping. I miss Gary when he's away, very quiet around here.

      Delete
  8. Stroppy patrons cause trouble and destroy atmosphere - I know that's not what's required . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad the squirrels didn’t totally destroy the blooms. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they break them by running among them. They don't bite them or tear them up. I think they know they're poisonous. They won't eat the bulbs either.

      Delete
  10. Very fine potholder! I thought the toweling idea was genius. Sorry it turned out to be hard to work with.
    Think of how happy that ficus will be with all of its new friends. (Talk about anthropomorphism...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ficus is ready for a whole new life. Different people, plants, light.
      The towelling idea works best if you just make the sandwich and stitch all round the perimeter. But I wanted to quilt it, so that complicated it

      Delete
  11. I didn't know about squirrels and daffs -- they leave mine alone. But with our big drop in temps today, I should bring some in too. The potholder is just lovely -- beautiful color. And I don't remember that painting but it's lovely so thanks for showing it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daffodils are a safe bet for planting. Unlike delicious crocus and tulip bulbs, they don't get eaten. I'm glad you liked the painting. I've got more out of it each time I see it.

      Delete
  12. Clue: they’re better than everyone else. (not that) Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your daffodils are clearly distinguished performers in the scent stakes. None of ours have any scent and it seems such a pity when they are such prima donnas - such 'look at me' colours. I love that painting - like a view form your own window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve also commented that he hadn't noticed any scent from daffodils. Maybe different varieties? All of mine, different varieties, smell in some distinctive way.
      I'm glad you like the painting. It's a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  14. I always get excited when I see the daffodils coming up. They’re really pretty
    Love the fabric you used. For quilting I’ve got the safety pins that have a little bend in them so pin all the layers together When your quilting blankets you need lots and lots. I’m sure the ficus will love its new home where it will get admired by many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen those curved safety pins in use. Daffodil time is always lovely, end of winter, except our cold winds are back.

      Delete
  15. We once had a jade plant that grew into a jade tree. We repotted it several times, the last few times out on the front porch. The last time it went into a huge pot, several feet tall and wide. I opined the tree had made its next to last trip through the front door; one more would have to be the last. So we called the Cleveland Botanical Gardens to donate it, and there it has lived for the last fifteen years, taking up a large amount of room in the front lobby. They can live a hundred years, and it's well on its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a perfect solution, and home in good hands.

      Delete
  16. Yes, it's good that the ficus is going to the library even if Gary (and you) will miss it. She'll be well-loved.

    Working on the puzzle...

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be fine. Gary will be fine. All will be well!

      Delete
  17. Squirrels and daffodils seem to have an affinity for each other. Our woodlands are populated with daffodils that obviously were not planted by humans and I assume that squirrel gardeners are responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard squirrels were involved in the propagation of daffodils. Good, then.

      Delete
  18. I thought squirrels didn't like daffs? I guess I was wrong. I knew they like tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't eat daffodils. But I think they snack on tulips.

      Delete
  19. It's been so long since I've had daffodils in the house that I had forgotten about how scented they can be. I sometimes succumb to buying some tulips in an attempt to rush the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daffodils are scenting the whole downstairs.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!