Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The rest of the story, Tuesday knitters, Textiles and Tea

Tuesday morning, half awake, I stepped into the downstairs bathroom and found I was standing in water.  Sooooo, put down a bunch of absorbent stuff, shut off the whole house water, filling the kettle first, quick learner, and called the plumber.


While I waited for him, I kept (fairly) calm by finishing the stitching on my mermaid potholder and put it with its friends


Then the plumber arrived


nice guy, Greg, with a bucket of tools,  changed out the valve, installed an extender so it's easier to operate, switched out the pipe from valve to tank, tested for leaks


declared it fixed,  turned the water on,  charged me a bundle and went away.

He really knows his stuff and has diagnosed and fixed a few mystery ailments of the house, so though he's expensive, sometimes I need him. 

Cheerful guy, well, at that hourly rate I'd be cheerful too, mustn't be bitter, but what with  fireplaces and bathrooms,  property ownership has been expensive recently.

Then the Tuesday knitters were a lot of fun, one doing Tunisian crochet and lace knitting, two knitting lace,  D, seen here wearing her work,one beginning crocheter, one cordage basketeer, me.



This is a more focused group than the Friday one, into patterns and techniques and what yarns and why, and there's a lot of learning to be had. 

And home to Textiles and Tea with


a cheerful weaver and teacher.  She had a career teaching special education and now, in retirement, is a weaver and teacher of weaving.  

Aside from her specialized teaching of krokbragd and bound weave, two weft facing weaving patterns, online and in person,  she also teaches weaving in-person to special needs adults who can sell their output in a shop on her premises.

She loves color, as you see, and one of a kind work.








A couple of reference books for people interested


And a student setting up her weaving


 
She's a truly good soul.

The last day or two have been mixed, though Handsome Son took care, this morning, of the township building inspection of his fireplace seal, passed, no problem. Just as well because that was happening while I was whipping about commanding the waves to desist in the bathroom.

Anyway, Tiny Buddha came through

There was also food. I don't know if this supper has a name. 

Assembled 
Cooked 

It's cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, spinach, blue cheese  crumbles sprinkled on, two eggs broken over, 490°f half an hour. Served with toast. And very cheering after a busy day.

Happy day, everyone, all's well. I completely missed the spring equinox, because it seemed to be a day early. Knitting friend explained its because of the leap year. Oh.





37 comments:

  1. What a day you've had! Glad the plumber was able to come so quickly and fix everything. Some repairs are worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This plumber is based around the corner, so it's easier for me in an emergency. And yes, it's worth getting fixed for peace of mind.

      Delete
  2. Our basement has flooded four times- plumbers are gods on this earth!
    Your meal sounds wonderful- served on toast, the best! Now I want whatever that is as well as some cream of chicken soup. Your posts make me hungry.
    The weaving and knitting is also delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had more water related issues than I like to think, in this house. Greg has come to the rescue.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic to get a plumber right away and he fixed it, ok so you had to pay, but worth it to get it done. Quite a variety of things getting done in your knitting group, all looks very interesting, wish I lived near I'd join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an old customer, so they know I really need them when I call! You'd be welcome in the group if you dropped by.

      Delete
  4. You needed that knitting group after commanding the waves and calling Greg the plumber! Well done remembering to fill the kettle first. Ouch on all the repair expenses. They have been piling up.

    I am always so impressed with the fascinating people that turn up on Textiles and Tea. Not only are they fascinating artists/teachers, many of them seem to be truly Good People.

    Happy Spring, which caught me by surprise also.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the t and t people must screen for niceness and good hearts. A lot of them are people you'd like to know.
      It's an expensive season this year, yes. Just as well I don't have expensive hobbies.

      Delete
  5. One of my sons-in-law is a plumber and never has enough time to do all the jobs he's asked to do. He fits kitchens and bathrooms, too. We always tell him he doesn't charge enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern building and materials don't hold up, so plumbers are definitely getting all the work they can handle.

      Delete
  6. Spring being a day early because of the leap year makes perfect sense! Glad everything is sorted for you and Handsome Son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cleared up my confusion about the equinox. And for now all's well on the home front.

      Delete
  7. For the price you paid you should have at least gotten some plumber’s crack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plumbers are expensive as you say, but the consequences of not using them are far more expensive, so I think we are stuck with paying their bills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got spoiled many years ago by having a local small-town plumber who was just a nice person and appreciated cats. In the decades since he retired, my experiences with plumbers have all been of the "bite your tongue and write a fat check" variety. Glad you got your situation sorted and I hope your surprise expense streak is over for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're at their mercy! Greg's a nice guy, if pricey.

      Delete
  10. Oh My, Boud, you certainly have had some unexpected household expenses and glad all has worked out well, plumbing issues are never not costly as I recall from the days of home ownership. In many ways, apt living has some advantages in that we only need to notify management of an issue, but then it may not get repaired/replaced in as timely a manner as compared to it we were doing it on our own. Your mystery meal looked interesting and hope it was tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the plumbing and other maintenance costs are calculated into your rent, but it's less painful that way.
      The beenzentom was very good. More for today.

      Delete
  11. I also didn't realize the Spring Equinox is today! Bummer about the toilet but at least you were able to get someone in to fix it straight away. The last time I had to hire a plumber was when I lived in Manhattan and I was astonished at the price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, small town, local plumber. But Manhattan prices!

      Delete
  12. Oh my goodness. You and I were both dealing with repair people yesterday! And paying for their services...
    Well. So it goes.
    Ms. Hawkey's weaving is very pleasing to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, keeping the economy thriving in our own way. If you ever were to weave, I can see you doing that colorful sort of work.

      Delete
  13. A bad start to the day, followed by good things. I will keep Tiny Buddah's wisdom in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a saying that's worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post with the exception of the toilet. But that ended well too. So many beautiful pieces here. It always makes me want to get out the yarn. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing other people's projects will do that.

      Delete
  16. There is a great variety of projects in the knitting group which is stimulating as is the conversation, I’m sure! Fun in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me of book groups, one kind stays on the topic of the book, the other might mention it in passing.

      Delete
  17. Wading through water first thing in the morning isn't a fun prospect...nor is the hit to the bank account.
    I enjoyed seeing the loom because it reminded me of when I was little and spent time watching our neighbour use hers. Often wonder whatever happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mesmeric watching a weaver. I don't think you've tried it, have you?

      Delete
    2. No, I've never tried it although I remember being enthralled with watching our neighbour when I was a kid. Her loom, as I recall, was much larger than the one shown here.

      Delete
  18. Sorry about the plumbing incident. There's nothing fun about that. I am reminded that we need to get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That first weaving illustration is the very old Whig Rose overshot coverlet pattern that I am setting up as my next scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool to have a knowledgeable weaver reading here.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!