Friday, March 29, 2024

Crafting, living, and Misfits

 This arrived in the mail yesterday, a catalog raisonne of the 2019  exhibit in Boston of protest art after T***p was elected, and other artworks of political and feminist protest. It's a wonderful reminder and very timely again, sadly, since fascism is again threatening to take over.


Gnarly old  hand, that's made many things, ready to open this surprise



I was going to write more about this, but need to postpone that since my day was upended by getting terrible news from a friend about her health. That drove everything else
 out of my thoughts.

Meanwhile, I did finish the experimental weaving and it seems to work as hoped.  The yarn was a gift from the same friend who sent the catalog.


And Misfits delivered


that cardboard division you see in the box will become several pinlooms



some of the plantbased spicy sausage went with a spaghetti Alfredo for lunch. I've got yogurt working, to go with the blueberries.  The squash will join a bag of carrots waiting in the freezer, along with veggie scraps for stock, to make soup.

Please spare good thoughts for my friend as she deals with yet another health setback. In better days she and I were fixit buddies and knitting friends and cooking tipsters and gardening exchangers. Great fun.

Here's another way to honor Ukraine, by honoring Ukrainian art and artists.
If you're in or around Chicago, or the Bay area, check this out



Happy day, everyone, let's make our own art, whatever form that comes in for us today. 



28 comments:

  1. You and your dear friend are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes and positive vibes to your ill friend. This afternoon I'm going to see an art installation/fundraiser for Ukraine called "Pysanky for Peace."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And that's a timely exhibit -- Easter eggs traditionally painted!

      Delete
  3. your little potholder loom seemed to work nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. I'm quite pleased with the experiment.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry about your friend. I know you will be a good support system but sorry that you are having to.
    The catalogue looks like it would be of interest to you. It's interesting to note how artists so often reflect the current political and economical influences in their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very touched that she made a difficult walk, she's disabled, lives down the street, to my house, navigating steps, all that, in order to tell me in person. I'll do what I can for her.

      Delete
  5. I send positive energy to your dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll let her know about all the people sending good wishes.

      Delete
  6. Sending good vibes through the heavens for your friend, Boud. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few things as devastating as news like that from someone we love dearly. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long-time friendship. I sort of inherited her from Handsome Partner. That's going on 40 years.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry about your friend and will light a candle for her. The food looks great. Your weaving looks amazing. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the candle and the impulse to light it.
      I'm quite pleased with the weaving.

      Delete
  9. I was just surveying the back of my hand yesterday. It was quite sobering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it almost more surprising than that old lady in my mirror!

      Delete
  10. So sorry about your friend's setback. Sending positive vibes! I love the fiber arts for Democracy book and the pussyhats. I wanted a pussyhat but I'm not sure I'm allowed one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question: eligibility for pussyhats!! Definitely political.
      Thank you for the vibes.

      Delete
  11. Thinking of you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sitting with you and your dear friend. Sending hugs to both of you.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear your friend has had upsetting health news. I'll be keeping a good thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry your friend had bad news. Life is a struggle for so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She already had progressive health issues, so this is very hard. Her family is rallying round though.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!