Friday, March 8, 2024

Misfits, Jeff and double portraits

 So, the excitement of the fireplace, and paying for it, home again and the stress of photographing the paperwork with a tablet camera which didn't work, changed and repeated for the phone one which did work, I finally submitted all the doings to the HOA.  

Then Misfits arrived, with driver Jeff, catching sight of me after he'd put the box on the step, promptly picking up the box again to put it inside the house. Kind man. 

That's how you get the dual picture of him taking the delivery shot, me indoors with the box.



The eggs are comped, because, very unusually, two were cracked in transit. So I chucked those out for squirrels, and sorted the rest.

Time for a chicken. It's so useful when you can't think what to have, if there's a roast chicken there.  And a lot of spaghetti, because I was shock, horror, out of pasta. 

The apples continue to be very good, and these aren't small. Maybe just surplus.

And, all this food but not much energy after a fairly stressful day, supper was a powerhouse sandwich.

Baby spinach toasted with several grated cheeses, here shown open, then folded over to eat. 

And  a good thing happened.  A few days ago, my iPod and Kindle both stopped connecting with WiFi. No changes made, other devices fine. I wondered if it was the signal or what. Couldn't borrow from the library on the Kindle or get email on the iPod, or send images. 

Then yesterday they both started working again. Maybe they'd just needed a rest so they'd quiet quit. 

But this is great, because I can resume borrowing from the library. Without the signal you're limited to what's already on the Kindle, and I also needed to move a couple of items from the tablet Kindle app which is very hard on the eyes, and now I can, yay.

This week is emotionally hard, those long memories that get you when you're not looking.

 March 6 my mother's birthday, the 129th, to be exact, though she only made it to early 60s. March 7th my brother's birthday,  my good friend in the family, died in combat at 20, when I was six, never forgotten. His death overshadowed my mom's birthdays after that.

I used to give my mom daffodils on her birthday, even as a little kid, putting my pocket money together and trotting off to the florist in the next street. 

Happy day everyone. Friday knitting group coming up, weather and roads permitting, endless heavy rain this week.




32 comments:

  1. Remembering birthdays of those you loved can bring quite sad memories, but daffodils are so joyous, very yellow and I always think filled with sunshine. I bet your mother loved them. When my 12year old kindle stopped down loading books, I bought a new one right away, I love the ease of reading on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did love her daffodils. The scent of them in the house is so good after winter.
      I love my Kindle, because it's easy on my hands, no matter how long the book. And less stressful to read than online.

      Delete
  2. Oh your poor brother! Such a huge loss. I have one sibling, a brother. I cannot even imagine losing him. So young!

    I think of my mom every day but she lived to be 81. Dad only got to 60. Each day is precious!

    Have a good one, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's been gone since I was 20, but she's still in my mind.

      Delete
  3. If I had been your mother and you had brought me daffodils on my birthday, I would have been so thrilled, so touched. That means something when a child goes to that effort to show love.
    Funnily enough, I used to wake up early on my mother's birthday (May 1) and go outside and pick her flowers when I was just a little girl. Mostly hibiscus and Turk's cap and periwinkle because those were blooming in Roseland. The memory of that makes me so very sad and I'm not sure why.
    I am looking forward to seeing what you make with that lovely little chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she liked them. The chicken might be curried at some point. Eventually soup, I expect.

      Delete
  4. My goodness, you make wonderful food! And the misfit delivery fellow, Jeff, sounds like a good guy. I suspect this might be a bit of an emotional week for you. Even when those losses are decades ago, when that anniversary time comes around -- whether it is a "good" day (like a birthday) or a sad one, it kind of grips the heart. Be gentle with yourself this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot this week, yes. All the delivery guys I've met have been very nice guys.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a happy and stress-free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrying the memories of our loved ones is keeping their spirits, their love, their bright faces and ideas and sayings alive. It's a heart thing, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are still alive when we're thinking of them. I often quote my mom!

      Delete
  7. I would have a case of the vapors if I ran out of pasta! My mother's birthday was the 2nd. I have no sadness about it, I wish I had good memories. It would be very difficult to think about the loss of your brother. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a personal experience, the bereavement, not the pasta. Although that's personal too, come to think of it.

      Delete
  8. A powerful week, in terms of memories. I like the double-portrait of you and the delivery driver!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry about your brother and that your mother died in her sixties. Memories will keep them alive. I am glad you have good ones. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good memories are still there. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean as I also think of my parents not only on the anniversary of their passing, but on other days as well. Something triggers a memory, even something like a food dish, and I become so nostalgic and even melancholy. Your childhood gift of daffodils was sweet and perhaps you should treat yourself to some now. Yes, chicken is so versatile and we have it often twice a week along with seafood, but meat not as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food often reminds me of my mom, yes. The daffodils are coming up in my garden now, very timely.
      I haven't eaten red meat in decades. It didn't suit me. Chicken and fish are fine.

      Delete
  11. I’m sorry your having an unhappy week. Anniversaries are always hard.
    Sending you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love spinach, and for some reason the cook served it to us the other night, creamed. I understand from long time residents, this was a first. Also a last, given the general reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you're feeling better, Liz. I appreciate you sharing the hard feelings of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was Becki just above. Don't know why it posted anonymously. Let's see if this works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words. And for identifying yourself, Becki!

      Delete
  15. A bit of a sorrowful time for you. I will post some off daffodil pics tomorrow. You'll see then what I mean by odd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suspect your device issues had something to do with the general angst that's been going on around the internet. If I didn't know better I'd blame the full moon.
    Some weeks/days are more difficult than others, but I think it's the memories we have that continue to keep people alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The device thing was mysterious. Quite different items, going off then back on about the same time.
      I agree that memories keep people alive.

      Delete
  17. Belatedly: hugs for these anniversaries. I'm sure your mum treasured those daffodils. And I'm sorry for the far-too-young loss of your brother whom you loved.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!