Thursday, March 28, 2024

Interlude for small looms, and summerizing

Rain is back, days of it, possibly. And I may have had a hand in it.

I summerized. Winter bag to summer bag, which involves turning out the bag to find out all the interesting things I've been carrying around for months, editing, then filling up the summer bag. Oh look, a little hand mirror! A comb! Another comb! A shoehorn!


Left, winter bag, a public radio pledge drive tote which I painted, right, summer bag from the thriftie. This bag change usually causes storms. I didn't know how much power I had.

The Easter cactus is on the brink of busting out on time

Then Tuesday's Textiles and Tea rekindled my interest in small looms. I looked up the price of a pinloom and decided to settle for making one, once I find enough pins. Meanwhile I set to finding my trusty old pot holder loom. And my Crone Findlay to remind me how to proceed.


Everyone seems to have had one as a kid and will tell you at length, if you're not careful, all about making pot holders for their mom, using stretchy loops. I got mine late in life, but did make the statutorily required loop pot holders, to get caught up. Then I went on to various experiments in scarves and purses. 

One big advantage about the pinloom is that it creates a stable piece of fabric with four selvages, just lift it off the loom, no finishing required. Other forms have fringes or loops which need finishing. The potholder loom has loops you chain off, crochet move, to stabilize the edges so they don't fray.

Anyway yesterday's adventure was to see if I could figure out a way of creating a four-selvage edge on my little ph loom. Which I think I have. After several tries which didn't work.

I'm needleweaving the margins to fill the loops right up to the pegs. So far it's looking very much like the four selvage work I've done in other ways. The picture shows one edge done.  One more edge to do yet, then we'll know.  

This will leave an unworked place at each corner, which I'll weave across in contrasting color, when I make something out of the square, or several squares. C. do you recognize the yarn?

Misfits box arrives today, so I'll use part of it to create a pinloom, as shown in my Useful Book.  It's good when your raw materials come to your doorstep.

And I'm sure this has been an exciting post to read.. worth the price of admission.

Happy day, everyone, try making something even if it's only a mess.  Or a fuss.







21 comments:

  1. My youngest daughter 'edits' her bag before she goes out anywhere. It's a good idea as 'stuff' doesn't sink to the bottom to be forever forgotten.
    I don't go in for summer and winter bags, since one day in summer may be as cold as a warm day in winter, ditto clothes. I just add or subtract layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the change of scene in bags. And when I change the weather, such power

      Delete
  2. Even your simplest weaving projects leave me baffled. My brain does not work this way. Yes, of course I made potholders and could no doubt make one now but I am not getting how you are "needleweaving" the edges to create a selvage. I can see how this could be a very cool way to make bags and scarves though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be even more baffled by Joanne 's weaving! Maybe when I finish and take it off the loom it will seem clearer. If it works.

      Delete
  3. Cool, never knew you could weave straight across rather than loops on those looms. Looking forward to seeing more. Dealing with my mental/emotional self wants to do more than the body is saying it can. Drat it all. Must pay attention to it's needs, afterall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. The spirit willing, the flesh weak! Glad to bring you some new information here.

      Delete
  4. I can make a fuss and a mess. But weaving, I have not got one clue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All fascinating and exciting. I’d be willing to pay triple the price for admission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! I can see I've been under charging.

      Delete
  6. We have had a miserable week of rain and it’s not over yet. A day with the grandkids was a lovely distraction though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, we don't need this much. I'm past rationalizing that the ground needs it!

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness weather moves from west to east. I'm sick of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes, the seasonal change. Brought up my spring jackets yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never change my purse from season to season because I'm a creature of habit. I likes what I likes and once I get used to a certain configeration in a purse I hate to change. If only I could buy multiples of the exact same purse in different colourways.
    Must admit to a great deal of curiosity re the broken pottery pieces. Was there a disaster or are they fodder for creativity (or possibly both).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not have caught up with the Atomic Shrimp mudlarking blogpost where I showed some of the pottery scraps he found on the shore. This is another shot.

      Delete
    2. Ah - I thought the pottery shards were yours.

      Delete
  10. It's fun finding hidden treasures when switching out bags. I've found everything from hidden money to old sales slips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were all kinds of handy things I'd forgotten about.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!