Sunday, March 24, 2024

Rain, rain, rain, and more interesting things

 So here's Saturday, clever us

Every few minutes another local road reported closed. Circuitous path home from work for Handsome Son.

Meanwhile cosy cooking, cauliflower cheese with cilantro, cheddar and parmesan, chickpea flour for the roux.  Guinness book of records for most letter cs in one sentence.

First time in ages of making this, comfort food, hot, bubbling, cheesy.





Enough for several more meals.

And while I listened to podcasts, Margaret Cho and Lisa Ling talking on Archetypes with Meghan Markle about their lives in the broadcast and entertainment world as Asian American women, I stitched this


The new pillow cover, draping elegantly, fringes there, but not so as you'd notice.

And I continued my art winnowing, here artist books ready to give to friends while I'm still here to enjoy giving them.



I now have several magazine holder things these were in, to Freecycle unless Handsome Son needs them. 

There's a range of art forms here, handmade paper from my own plants also abaca (banana) fiber and first cut cotton linters, stamping with my hand carved stamps, drawing, painting, beadweaving,  couple of little portfolios of small works. They've been with me long enough, so they're ready to leave. I'm only partway through the boxes yet.

I did decide to keep this book about my town.  I think it should go to Handsome Son, because of this picture. This was back when Handsome Partner could still walk, though we helped him up after this shot.



Here Handsome Son is getting instructions on where to dig. I held the camera and the sack of mixed daffodil bulbs. This was October 2001.
We were planting the 9/11 memorial daffodils from our family, back in the trees. They're blooming out there now.

Happy day, everyone, stay dry if you're in the flood zone, where the crick can be counted on to git up.






32 comments:

  1. I have never seen rain like we had overnight. It sounded like multiple fire hoses pouring on the roof. We will stay in today, no doubt. Take care, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lap pillows are such a good idea and make life much more comfortable. The new cover looks splendid - a good use for scarves no longer worn.
    I've been intending to make cauliflower cheese for about a month, but since I've been effectively banished from the kitchen - not before time! - each succeeding cauliflower has been used in other ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ages since I made it, and adding the parmesan is so good.

      Delete
  3. Great to know about the bulbs as memorial for 9/11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Handsome Partner's idea. Outlived him by many years.

      Delete
  4. I made an Alfredo yesterday, kind of close. Cheesy. I'm glad you are keeping the book, it's personal to you and HS. We are in for a snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most personal, yes, mainly important to HS.

      Delete
  5. I have a really good recipe for a cheesy cauliflower casserole. can't remember if I made it with one of the six I grew or not. probably not. I gave several of them away. I blanched and froze some of it. big mistake. taste was OK but texture was not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always freeze, but never blanch, cauliflower. The texture was fine for this one.

      Delete
  6. Daffodils are always so cheerful right when you need cheering most! Except, of course, for poor Steve's slug-eaten daffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are looking good. Two were flattened by the rain, so they're indoors now.

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of rain for one day! I'm glad you're keeping the book with that photo. Handsome Son will appreciate it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cauliflower cheese. That's a lot of rain. Hope it all dries up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ages since I last made it. I've tried various ways, but baked in cheese sauce is my favorite. Our roads have reopened, sidewalks dry, you'd never know we'd had record rainfall in a day.

      Delete
  9. Cheese sauce is pretty much one of my favorite things. It makes broccoli edible for me.
    I hope y'all get some sun very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that’s a lot of rain! I love the idea of the daffodils as a memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it didn't come as one of our late winter blizzards. Daffodils go on returning indefinitely, so they're a lovely memorial. A lot of our neighbors don't know the story, new since then, but they can still enjoy them.

      Delete
  11. I trust the roads are all passable by now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have too much rain and we need some. Please it my way.
    I hope you have notified the Guinness people of your spectacular sentence. I’m sure they’ll be very impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain distribution isn't very even these days.

      Delete
  13. Lovely, planting daffs in remembrance of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was his idea, also he requested them as his own memorial.

      Delete
  14. Cauliflower cheese is Mr B's 'go to' recipe (unfortunately in some ways as he has a tendency to repeat it a little too often - but it is good). All I can say about the rain is crikey! That photo of the pile of artbooks/covers is art in itself. It looks like treasure. it just needs to be explored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make it very often, so it's always welcome! Thanks for the nice words about the art books.

      Delete
  15. It sure seems as though the weather is pitching fits all over the place. Good thing you were able to stay home and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not like my out in all weathers past life.

      Delete
  16. Lots of rain here, too, this week. The county road out of our subdivision is still flooded (3rd day) in one direction. Fortunately, the other direction is still high enough to be dry. Lastly, I need to say, what a wonderful gift to someones your handmade books are/will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few books have gone now. Likewise some of our flooding, happily.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!