Thursday, February 10, 2022

Trip to the Preserve, ancient and modern socks

 Yesterday's surprise in the kitchen was this



The Thai basil had put out this tiny perfect six-part exotic bloom. I collect seeds every year and I've been keeping a plant going for quite a few years since my friend Lakshmi gave it to me before she went back to India.

Today being cleaners' day, I went off for a trip to give them my parking place and leave the house empty for them.

The weather is in the 50s and sunny, so I seized the day and went to our local bit of preserved nature, the Plainsboro Preserve.

Here's how it looked today


Dormant beech wood


McCormick Lake


The lake has quite a bit of ice which the sun is breaking up. From here you can hear it shifting and sounding when the water washes under it.



The beauty of ice moving and climbing as it breaks and meets the trees at the water's edge is a favorite of mine.


Inside  the beech wood. The atmosphere in here is very different from on the trails, quiet, warmer in winter, cooler in summer, the monoculture creating its own climate. There's a peace here you can't find anywhere else.

And I found that the sneaky route I've been taking for years, back to my car, along the field parallel to the main trail and separated from it by trees and hedges full of butterflies, is now an official trail



If you walk it, they will come. And name it


Here's the start, looking down to the lake before turning right and heading back.

Lovely trip today.

And once home to a clean house, yay, a thump at the front door, and the eagerly awaited yarn had arrived. 


The Sock Ministry is officially open. 

And, just to remind us  of the long tradition we're in here


Mine will be for the homeless, cared for by the Sisters of St John Baptist in north Jersey.

Aside from massive programs in a lot of social contexts, including turning over a section of their property to grow food for the food bank, and hands on social work and advocacy  ministry, the sisters who can knit also spend their precious "free" time knitting to donate. 

Yarn is donated to them, and they set to nunfully. They're big on nun puns, so they'd like this.

Anyway I found that none of them can knit socks, an urgent need, so I said that will never do, I'll do some. And here we are.

Now I have to go cast on, once I decide which color to start with.

21 comments:

  1. Those are going to be some comfy, cozy socks! What a nice project.
    Glad you got out and about today. I've never, ever seen a river with the ice cracking in it. Not sure I've ever seen a frozen river for that matter!
    Doesn't basil make a pretty blossom? Bees love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos as always Liz and I'm loving your mission to knit socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, what, never? Gosh, this northerner is having to digest this! Ellen commented recently that she's not experienced with snow so painting it is challenging. I'm just getting used to that and here you come! You've never heard the music of water lapping under ice? It sounds like bells, when the sun and wind are just right.

    Marianne so good to see you in here. I cast on the first one. I've done the short row toe and I'm into the foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I missed an r in your name, Minimiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ancient sock is fascinating! I thought folks used wraps as socks. Ancient toe sock is wild.

    Beautiful scenery. Listening to lake ice thaw, crack and thump, is neat, but in a way eerie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those socks look comfy and your basil is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice day for a walk! Do you watch TV or listen to books while you knit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes listen to books, don't have any tv service, haven't for over a decade. But today I was doing a short row toe snd all I could do was the that, remembering how to do it! Now I'm on to the foot, I can chat, listen, etc. Just steadily knitting on four needles, my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should teach those nuns how to knit socks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too far for me to drive. Or I might! Not something you can do successfully via zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After a stressful grocery run, I grabbed a coffee in the drive through then parked beside the lake at the town. It was the most blissful half hour I've had in months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That area is beautiful in winter. It must be lovely through the seasons. The socks are a great project. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think water is a great tranquillizer. Just sitting near a lake is so calming and happy. And, as you say, Marie, in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for filling the nunfully void by knitting socks, but even better on nunfully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think water is a great tranquillizer. Just sitting near a lake is so calming and happy. And, as you say, Marie, in all seasons.

    Karen, I published then accidentally deleted your comment, sorry, tiny screen, no undo function. It was about sitting by a local lake after a difficult shopping, and enjoying calm. Her words were better, but the gist is valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful sky, beautiful pictures of a beautiful place. How lucky you are to have it nearby. And I'm sure the socks will be gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks as if my restoration efforts with Karen's comment worked.good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know I'm several days late, but these "outing because of cleaning day" posts always make me smile - imagining how good it must feel to come back home after an outing to a cleaner home. The blue sky in these pictures is just stunning. You captured the day well, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least being cleaned gives you an additional incentive to spend some time at the preserve. Beautiful place, no matter the season.
    Interesting to see the design of those ancient socks. They don't look as though they'd be very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. At least being cleaned gives you an additional incentive to spend some time at the preserve. Beautiful place, no matter the season.
    Interesting to see the design of those ancient socks. They don't look as though they'd be very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!