Saturday, February 19, 2022

Just knitting

 I have a large batch of screenshots of today's great talk on Moroccan women artisans, rug makers, which I'll hold off for now because

1. I've poured pictures over you lately about various textiles, you might like a break

2. I can't face a third day of editing

3. I have a batch of walnut muffins for tea, except for the ones that went next door

4. I'm busy with knitting news and show and tell.

Yesterday was the first indoor knitting group meeting since March 2020, or 1920 or however long. 

Four people, biggest crowd I've been in, literally since then. Two of them I hadn't seen since the Before Times. It was great. We're doing it again next week, all being well. It did my spirits a lot of good.

As did the  finishing of the first pair of Ministry Socks


Many ends woven in, pressed with steam





They're pretty cosy.

Then on to the next pair, these more somber. The foot is merino wool, so I'm knitting heels and toes in a mix of  wool, cotton and poly, for better wear. Nice color contrast of black with oatmeal/cream mix. There might be a stripe..

When I opened the wool cotton mix, I noticed a hard object stopping me from finding the end inside the skein. Fished around and it turned out to be a reel of matching thread, for assembling the parts, I suppose. It's a new one on me. Or it may be strengthening thread. Next time I'll try it that way. You can see it in the pic.

And here's where we are now


Next to read my latest Castillo thriller, accompanied by a warm walnut scone spread with lovely Vermont butter.

People starting a holiday weekend, Presidents' Day in the US, honoring  George and Abe, enjoy your weekend.  Everyone else, oh, just manage as best you can!


14 comments:

  1. The socks are pretty. Glad to read you were out and about with people! It does the heart good to know that folks gather in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indoors! With other people! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea it was a holiday weekend. None. So thanks for letting me know!
    Can't wait to see how these socks turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea it was a holiday weekend. None. So thanks for letting me know!
    Can't wait to see how these socks turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just been to the library with a book list. They only had two out of seven and they were both already checked out so I picked up book 2 of Nora Roberts newest trilogy all about dragons, magic, and the Fey in Ireland and a thriller by Mary Kubica whom I have not read before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first pair of socks are lovely and the second pair will be, too.
    I've had that skein of thread show up, too. I've always taken it to be used to reinforce the heel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Joanne, that's what I'll do then. I might also reinforce the toe on the second sock, too late to knit it into the first. I might try stitching it in, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab socks! I am reading a book at the moment called The Friday Night Knitting Club. It's set in central NYC but obviously inspired by your group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your reply on the previous post. I don’t go back to read comment replies unless I remember asking a specific question. Blogger has always been very cumbersome in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great socks! I just cast on for another pair and, wonder of wonders, I think they're for me!! I haven't run across that spool of thread before but I do suspect it's for reinforcing the heels and toes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!