Friday, February 11, 2022

Sock fit and Misfits

Yesterday the Sock Ministry yarn arrived and I set to work on a toe-up sock in toning pink stripes, cheerful start.

I had to do a bit of thinking to remember the toe-up process which is short rowing like turning a heel only more so, since you're knitting a toe cap. You start on two needles then eventually add in the others.

Toe-up makes a lovely comfortable toe, and you can keep checking for size as you go.

Here on my bumpy old foot over another sock, testing, and resting on an afghan I knitted many years ago for Handsome Partner so he could be comfortable out on the patio in his chair.

I sent these pictures to the nun who sent me the yarn, and she's definitely happy, though I suspect, as a non sock knitter, a bit mystified about how this works.

And today was Misfits box day.

Here's the step by step, literally starting on the step




After this a lot of scrubbing and wiping and chopping and bagging and some freezing. 


Finally, the box is broken down for recycling, along with the  insulation blankets.

And this evening will be a lovely salad, mixed greens, scallions, tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles.

Happy misfitter here. The cheeses look great. And I ordered two packs of hake, just continuing my exploration of the ocean.

All in all, a good day, if a vigorous one.



12 comments:

  1. Knitting socks is a mystery to me too but this one looks both cute and comfy!

    It's fun to follow your misfits from the door to the table. They sure don't look like misfits. They look better than what I can get at my store. Enjoy that salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a substandard item from Misfits. Very often it's about size not fitting the retailer's order. Perfectly good quality though. The eggs are small and medium. Usually supermarkets want size large. Often recipes assume you're using large eggs. But my cooking isn't that calibrated.

    Or it's just an overstock, has to be moved..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use the same brand of Parmesan! I get mine at Costco though where it's such a big chunk that I don't have to buy it again for months!
    You are going to make some fabulous meals with that good food.
    And I love your sock so far. I never learned to knit socks. I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That afghan upon which your foot rests is so fabulous! Can you show us more of it sometime? Enjoy your salad tonight. We will have a nice of mixed greens salad tonight with little grape tomatoes, feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, and slices of fresh pear. And - wait for it - Spam! I fry up Spam (in the air fryer) like pancetta and call it Spamcetta. It makes a nice topping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sock is lovely and the misfits even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks will be cozy warm by the look of that one. The misfits must keep you busy when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a rather hefty box to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you bring bits in until the box is empty. That yarn is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can't lift it over the doorstep while keeping the storm door out of the way. I unpack into a bag, two or three trips, then bring in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Exoploring the ocean," lovely way of looking at cooking fish. Happy looking so far socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another good-looking Misfits box but overshadowed by the sock knitting. You're progressing really fast! I knit mine from the top down because I never could figure out how to do the toe properly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!