Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Candlemas, Groundhog Day, Ulysses

 Happy Candlemas

"Candlemas, Candlemas, Candlemas Day

Toss all your candles and candlesticks away!"

Old rhyme recited by my Mom on February 2nd. A bit hasty, considering the days have a ways to go before we can discard lighting.


There's also Groundhog Day


And here's the soup of yesterday



also a batch of walnut raisin chocolate chip scone things in case Handsome Son visits today. 



That's a sprig of curry leaves decorating the soup. 

Putting a sprig of aromatic herbs on hot soup looks appetizing,  and also flavors it  subtly.

And here's the current reading which I hugely recommend. It's about eloquent silences, aloneness in the world, making a single life, fleeting communication. 

Written in Italian and translated to English by the writer, Jhumpa Lahiri, it's a tour de force of writing, perception and language.


It's also tautly written, no excess verbiage, no hundreds of pages of bloviation. I don't think anyone less than George Eliot, or Susanna Clark, or Tolstoy or Tartt,  or Joyce can successfully sustain huge narratives. I hope to find one but haven't up to now.

Speaking of huge narratives, today's the hundredth anniversary of Sylvia Beach's publishing Ulysses in Paris. 


From the celestial back to the daily. This is partly for Pam's benefit, but generally interesting. Here's the current list of available Misfits produce this week



There's also pantry, dairy, snack, pet food, various other aisles. Just FYI.

And, once we're sustained by good food,  here's a five year old horseback archer warrior girl in Mongolia, in action. 

I'd like to be her, just to feel that expertise. Archery, on horseback, what a combo. My astrological sign, too.  Look at that concentration, and how together she is with her horse.

And here's an older archer in action. These are stills I took from a YouTube video. She's galloping while firing.



With these great insights into fierceness and skills, I'm off for a cup of tea now.

I'll catch you up with a great Textiles and Tea with Susan Maffei tomorrow.






13 comments:

  1. Yes, no hands on the horses, just perfect balance and teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that learning horseback archery would be good for Maggie. She might be a genius at it! How beautiful that little girl is- her focus, her strength. So amazing. I will be on the look out for Jhumpa Lahiri book. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our nearest groundhog is Wharton WIlly — or was, I think he died. If he is still with us, he won’t see his shadow. Oh shoot! I look out, and I see it getting brighter. 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jhumpa Lahiri writes in Italian? I had no idea!

    Your examples of writers sustaining long narratives are interesting -- and unarguable. I've been trying to think of others. Margaret Mitchell? Anthony Doerr?

    I like the look of that soup with that perfect leaf floating on top. Very Zen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lahiri's earlier books were written in English. When she moved to Italy with her Italian husband, she became fluent in the language to the point of writing in it.

    I specifically don't think Doerr is a strong writer. At least he can't carry me along. No idea about Mitchell, though.

    I do like to accessorize my food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The archers are amazing!
    The book sounds good. This winter's reading list will take me into summer. I need to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reading your post and saw the picture of your soup made so lovely with the curry leaf floating on it. Alas - our curry leaf plant has disappeared. I went out to look for it and I believe it was "weeded" out. Still, the soup photo inspired me and in the 2 hours between seeing it and writing this comment I roasted local pumpkin, onions, carrots, and garlic (in the airfryer) and thawed some cauliflower that Dennis had blanched and frozen. It's all in the slow cooker now along with chicken stock. I will blend it with some cream and serve it with sprigs of Cuban thyme (in the absence of curry leaf) for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very artistic soup! And thank you for posting the listing from Misfits - one more reason for me to wish it was available here.
    And - I'm afraid the groundhog reports we'll be getting six more weeks of winter here. Not the least surprising when I look outside the window and see gigantic snowflakes falling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wilma, let us know how the soup goes. It sounds very good, even without curry leaves.

    Mary Anne, isn't it always six more weeks or maybe months of winter from early February, anyway? It is here. We've had blizzards in April.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the reading recommendations. I hope you had a visit with your son,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did, to my surprise since I thought it was Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!