Saturday, February 5, 2022

New ideas starting up, and oatmilk

The new issue of Tatters came with a class on hand sewing a medieval linen shift. I'm not planning on taking the class, but the design is useful. 


This could be adapted as a summer top, to go with the yellow skirt you watched me make a while ago. I have a piece of white linen currently acting as a curtain, that might work. Noted. Or a tunic with pants, using some of that batik you saw back when I bought the skirt fabric. So I'm studying the picture to see how to cut so it drapes well.

I also remembered the two Tshirt dresses that I've had for years,  rarely wear and could shorten easily for tops. With cut out designs. One's pink, one's blue. That should work. Easily. One cut, one hem  then do cutouts. If I do that I'll show you how.

Any or all of this will happen.

Meanwhile, closer to now, I came across oat milk, which I've never had, and I thought I could try making it. I don't have any food issues, but I just thought it would make a change.

No sooner thunk than did. Not really a recipe.


 One to three oatmeal to water, blend

 
Strain


Right, drained fiber for a future supper, middle, test glass, added a bit of cane sugar and vanilla essence. Left, remaining milk.  Pretty good. This will work for my golden milk as a change from dairy.

And I finally used the last of the pizza mushrooms, in an omelette. 


Mezzaluna theme still going, with half a whole wheat pita bread. I do like that shape.

I'm also still going on, to my surprise, in the second in the Me before You trilogy, which is very readable, and drew me in quickly. 

It's very easy reading, nothing to figure out or ponder on, just suits my current general mood.

Happy Saturday, folks!



18 comments:

  1. My reading at the moment is a book that Weaver suggested - Song of Achilles. I am enjoying it very much. BTW - my soup from the other day with roasted pumpkin, cauliflower, carrot, and onions turned out quite nice and I have another quart of it in the freezer. I think the cauliflower adds some creaminess but not much flavor when mixed in with all the other strong flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress feels like an empty canvas waiting to be decorated. Imagine what you can embroider, stamp, sew on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here wondering what "pretty good" means for oat milk... I do enjoy reading about your food experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sense of adventure in the kitchen always amazes me. I have some expensive oat milk I have not tried yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob's Red Mill oats are the ones in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilma, that soup sounds excellent. And thanks for the book mention.

    SP, that's a very interesting take on the shift. Noted.

    Becki, the oat milk is good. I made hot chocolate using it for my afternoon snack. Thick and rich tasting.

    E, I think you're paying extra for the mineral and vitamins in the commercial oatmilk to bring it up to the nutritional value of cows milk.

    Ellen, this form of oatmeal is suggested, not steel cut, not instant, which don't make a good blend.



    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of buying "milk" made from plants has bothered me. It takes more water and energy to manufacture them. One's own kitchen stove is a decent alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debra, I didn't either at first. I finished the breakneck second book, really liked the easy reading tear jerker, just fitted the moment. Can't read the third part because it's not available on Kindle only as an ebook. I can't read extended prose on a device with a refreshing screen, migraine visual disturbance and headache.

    She's written a lot, so there may be more in my future, if I can get it on Kindle, just not part three of the trilogy.

    Marie, yes, it's pretty nice. Very different from dairy, but I think I'll make it now and then.

    Joanne, there are some things I'd never buy, such as crackers. Easy to make if I want some. I guess I routinely go for the least additives. Also crackers are expensive, and you can add whatever you like if you make them. Anything you buy probably has stabilizers for shelf life, but I'd rather not eat them, really, however safe I'm told they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just received three sewing pattern magazines that Daughter has requested for her birthday. I also bought that sewing memoir book you mentioned some time ago. I don't know how I have a daughter who sews. I hate sewing with a passion.
    Fibremood - that was the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, maybe it skipped a generation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz does she already have Sonya Phillips The Act of Sewing? It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your interests and doings are so varied and interesting! I have a lovely blue linen tablecloth that begs to be a skirt but the fabric is worn so thin that I don't think I'll bother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shift does look very versatile! I've never been a fan of oat milk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz, I'm getting high risk avoid this site error messages when I try to read your blog. You may want to check with blogger in case you've been hacked. It happens now and then with various blogs and they fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THE dress from Gone With The Wind (or Carol Burnett's version of same) have nothing on you! Really do wish I possessed the gene that helps with making clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know if it's a gene or just being exposed to mom learning tailoring in middle age, watching her progress, or older sisters, particularly Dogonart make their own clothes. Then I had wonderful teaching at school. It all helps with confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!