Saturday, February 26, 2022

Meanwhile back in the studio

As of this morning, Kyev has not fallen.

Tragic casualties, they pray they can last another night and slow Putin's momentum. I won't say Russia's momentum, because the Russian people are marching against the invasion.

Meanwhile on the home front.

Alert blogistas will have noted no Misfits box report yet. They rescheduled it suddenly from yesterday to today, so we live in expectation that the Brussels sprouts (Becki!) will arrive for tonight's dinner, to join the salmon I have thawing in the fridge.  And the pita bread and salad makings and other such urgent needs.

However the latest issue of Tatter did arrive, all about handspun yarn and knitting, with a shout-out to Barbara Walker, whose book of patterns I have, and have learned from, making many samples of stitch patterns just for the pleasure of it. 

And as a spindle spinner, I'm always up for a report on handspun yarn, especially the high end yarns currently on sale via Tatter, complete with the history of the regions and the renewable sources of the fiber. 

Also the fair trade prices, high and they should be, very labor intensive, involving breeding the animals, plucking, collecting and cleaning fiber before spinning it. If your budget runs to it, do go there.





So here, on a much humbler plane, is the current State of the Sock Ministry.

Pair Two, knitted, finished, pressed.


And on to the next adventure

The picture is a scan of a pair I made for myself long ago as a test run. Then I knitted a couple more pairs to give to friends, who approved 

These are tube socks, which mold to your foot as you wear them, and since the heel is not limited to the one position, they tend to last longer, and fit more sizes. 

And they have a raised spiral, a purl ridge, which is interesting to knit, decorative, and gives a bit of traction. It's comfortable underfoot, the reason I tested it on myself, because I wondered.

So I had a playtime last evening with colors and contrasts, and design. I'm adding a cuff to these, and have figured out a stretchy cast on.  

I was unable, despite many attempts,  to follow any of the stretchy cast on tutorials on YouTube. They always whip right past the bit l really need to see, and can't, even after slowing playback. But I think I've figured out my way. Np, to quote Handsome Son.

After this third pair, I think I'll start  sending them off, no reason to make people wait. Then I'll continue knitting happily.

Meanwhile, taking care of my own little corner, praying for better days for Ukraine, messaging encouragement, as best I can, to Ukrainian friends and acquaintances.




9 comments:

  1. Tube socks are a great idea!

    It is inspiring to watch the defiance of the Ukrainian people. Even if Putin takes the country, resistance will be ongoing and fierce, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misfits is now scheduled for Sunday. Not happy, but in the scheme of things I'll live. I suspect it's weather related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't care for tube socks myself as they tend to bunch up where ankle meets foot. The latest black pair looks good. If Putin does take over Ukraine I don't think it will be an easy occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I prayed, I would pray for the Ukraine. As it is, I am deeply saddened, grieving, and observing in horror.
    I most certainly do hope for an end to the madness soon.
    The people who receive your socks are recipients of prayers made visible and material. And also lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the completed socks and the pretty design for the tube socks. These socks look so much warmer than what you can buy. I am and have been praying for Ukraine. Bless them for their strength in standing up to that monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for the people of Ukraine, too. I hope your brussels sprouts arrived. I had them again tonight with broiled salmon, and all I can say is I've yet to master salmon. Not only do I have to become confident they've cooked long enough (tonight's cooked a tad too long), but these weren't all that tasty. Don't know if it was lack of seasonings, or the salmon itself. My husband added tartar sauce to his (made me sad), but he raved about how good supper was, so there was that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again I'm behind in commenting. You do know I get there, eventually!
    1. Prayers continue
    2. Re Tatters - curious to know....is it a printed magazine or just online?
    3. Socks are looking great but I have to say I'm astounded at how fast you're churning them out. Takes me weeks to knit a pair!
    4. Be careful you don't stress your hands too much with the socks rendering you unable to knit for awhile. Not that I would know anything about that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tatters is online. You can sign up for their emails.

    My hands are fine, it's my shoulder I have to look out for. So I'm proceeding with caution.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!