Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Snowdrops, yay, and other good things

Today is a bit less bitter, and in the sunshine on the deck very workable 

I did some indoor plant care, involving raking the area around the ficus. It's that time of year when the rising light levels get her restless and starting to throw down leaves in her annual campaign to get outside before it's mild enough.

Anyway I tossed the leaves outside and noted that the brambles have not only grown, but touched ground and rerooted. 

Sooooo I went for the big kitchen scissors I, and all the neighbors, use for minor pruning, and set to work cutting as close to the ground as I could. I'm not strong enough to yank them out, and the ground's solidly frozen, so cutting is for now.

I was immediately rewarded, after doing this and carrying the jaggy, stabby, branches out to the woodland for shelter. 

Got back and found another suet feeder no doubt taken by squirrels, still with half a block of suet, buried where the brambles had been. And, great excitement here, look, look 


Snowdrops, all three of them!  Bravely under the snow till now, blazing away.

So the exercises no doubt stood me in good stead fir a bit of gardening here. It's a lot more fun to be outside cutting and carrying and exclaiming, though. And walking will definitely happen today.

Meanwhile I've been provisioning the inner woman with some mass roasting. Chicken drumsticks and vegetables. Several meals, also a couple of roast drumsticks now in the freezer, handy for various purposes.



Which reminds me to ask something I've been wondering about. It's about recycling, reusing, all that.


This is the coldpack bag I got from Misfits, which had the chicken, eggs, cheeses, yogurt etc in it. They pack the cold items  in this,  then include it in the produce box.

 It's perfectly clean, insulated, waterproof, large, and though it's probably recyclable since most Misfits packing is, I can't help wondering if I can get a second use from it.

*I already sent a pic to handsome Son, suggesting it for his car, to put his grocery bags in and keep the food cool, haven't heard back yet.

So, dear Blogger Brain trust, do you have any ideas?  All will be studied, and the decision of the editor is final. Oh sorry, forgot this isn't a newspaper contest from the fifties.


And here's the result of my studying ideas for bread adjacent recipes, including one for apricot and walnut bread.

I have plenty of both, so I investigated it and found it's that kind of terminally fussy bread recipe with half a dozen stages, and I decided it was the Recipe Writers'  Full Employment Act at work and life's too short.

So now I have a nice batch of apricot walnut hot biscuits. Split and buttered, they're proving just fine. 

This afternoon I'll check in on Textiles and Tea and report back tomorrow, along with the current stage of the Renovation of the Dresses. The Chinese licorice poultice restored my thumb to working condition so I've been stitching, yay.

I have no idea why Blogger has suddenly started centering text despite my attempts to left justify it. It just doesn't feel like it evidently. Taking a centrist position. Chicken.

*Late breaking news: Handsome Son just messaged, definitely wants it. But I'm still open to other thoughts.

16 comments:

  1. Those packing things can be re-used as long as they are clean and not damaged. you should also be able to put them in your recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but reused for what? I don't ship food or other items that need to be kept insulated. So I'm in search of ideas. I know I can recycle, just would rather reuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The insulated bag would keep warm things warm, too. So you could put your biscuits in there for a bit while if you wanted to have a warm one a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good idea, thank you. I have another smaller bag from the last cold pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cold packs are great for keeping things cool for picnics. We’ve reused some we had and they worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote trunk of car is best use.
    I keep a cooler in my car trunk all year.
    Also, insulation bag for outdoor plants?

    Glad you were able to do some stitching.
    Exciting to see the snowdrops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SP yes, I was thinking it will work like a soft sided cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay snowdrops! Always an encouraging sign! I'm glad your son can make use of the thermal packaging, but yeah, I'd assume it's recyclable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snowdrops - a delight and one of nature's true marvels.
    As for the bag - I would tuck some in the car and have them to transport hot/cold groceries. Another use would be to have a few in the car in case of being stranded on the road in the winter. Putting your feet (hands too) in them would help keep you warm. Not that you travel in conditions like that, but throwing it out there as an idea for those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember snowdrops from my childhood. What joy, after a long, dark and cold winter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You centered your photos, so I expect that blogger left you in the that mode.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right off hand I can't think of anything for your insulation bags that someone else hasn't mentioned.
    Yesterday I finally made the apple ginger cake you got me thinking about some time ago. Fresh apples, fresh ginger, raisins, pecans, a thin layer of caramel icing on top- absolutely delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary that cake sounds awesome!

    Inger, I think you'll like today's textiles and tea -- Swedish overtones!

    Mary Ann, I had wondered about foot warmers too, if the power goes out. My son plans to use his for his groceries, big enough for his shopping bags.

    AC, that's what I was saying, I had not changed anything. Blogger suddenly centered everything, photos, text, and would not let me return to left justified, my preferred design.

    Blogger is not well adapted to Android tablets, whatever they claim! It bloweth where it listeth. It did it again briefly today. It's in the pocket of Big Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our snowdrops are late this year and our crocuses still aren't showing. Which is strange as I'm sure it's ben very mild.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!