Sunday, February 20, 2022

Empty the freezer soup

I'll be reordering Misfits  this afternoon, so made soup with all the vegetables left in the freezer.


Onions cooking gently while I chop garlic and get ready to tip in the remaining cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and scallions.


Green Powerhouse soup, seasoned with salt, Old Bay, Bill Veach curry recipe, lemon juice.

All the freezer bags are now washed and draining ready for next Friday's Misfits delivery.

Meanwhile knitting is clicking away and I find I'm a bit allergic to the black merino wool. 


My eyes are irritated. Might be the wool fibers, might be the dye, since I find occasionally that black dye causes me a bit of trouble.  

Anyway I'll do the socks, already knitting heels and toes in a cotton mix and maybe I'll also do the cuffs that way, too. That way the socks will still be warm to wear while I minimize my exposure. 

The day would not be complete without a bit of whining. I ordered the gov Covid test kits the very day the portal opened, way back in January. Also ordered a set for Handsome Son, different address. 

So, different households, same last name, same zip code, exact same date of ordering, separate order forms, mine officially numbered one digit ahead of his. His arrived a week ago. I'm happy he has them. However, no sign of mine. 

I know this is up to date because I checked this morning for yesterday's mail, after starting my car to keep the battery happy. I left the engine  running while I went to the mailbox. 

What about me, Joe? Have a word with DeJoy, please. 

Handsome Son reminded me same happened with the relief checks, received weeks apart.

Which reminds me that I had a letter a couple of days ago, from the IRS, telling me they owed me a large round sum, but hadn't received last year's (2020) return. 

Which I sent early last February. It contained a payment check which they presented five days from mailing. Which pretty much proves they did receive the return 

Sooooo they said if I had in fact filed, please copy and resend all forms and enclosures, sign the copy again and return immediately. Limited window to pay me. Huh? My money and a limited window?

Anyway I did all that, cranked up the printer and scanner and sent back the lot, with a copy of their own letter in case they forgot why I'm writing to them. So we'll see.

I just hope the new mailing gets attended to better than the last. I may be driven to electronic filing next time. I've filled out but not yet mailed this year. I really don't want the complication of online filing, though I do it with a lot of other paperwork. But the IRS is a last bastion.  And it worked fine until the former guy trashed the agency.

Oh well, happy day anyway!

13 comments:

  1. The response from the IRS is odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a good feeling to have everything washed and prepared for the next Misfits delivery. That does sound like a powerhouse soup and I bet it's good! I ordered our gov. Covid test kits the first week they were available and we received them two weeks ago. But I have heard there was such a huge quantity ordered that many deliveries would be delayed. I hope yours arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, it's so unusual for me to be preparedness like this! A friend in California has offered me her spare kits, if mine don't show up. Since they expire in June, and she and her roommate between them found themselves with extras, stocked up locally then got the gov ones, she can spare some. So it may come to that.


    Wilma I think the IRS rapid response force which they hired last week under pressure to get the backlog fixed, is responsible for the letter. As long as they pay me, anyone can process the returns, ss far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, no sign of test kits ordered in January. I read they are back logged. A month for such an important item, that isn't all over the news, feels like maybe the free tests announced to calm the masses?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always found the dye to be the problem, not the wool. I ordered test kits, and they have not appeared. As for the IRS, they are who they are. No rhyme nor reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soup sounds good. Hope your rebate comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the IRS. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My DD and I ordered the test kits on the first day (same zip code, but different address). She got hers two weeks ago...mine just arrived this past Saturday.

    As for IRS, I always file electronically. Did so on Feb 5th. Had state money in bank three days later; Fed money was in the bank six days after that. Hope your situation is sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is an adjective which is frequently applied to the IRS and I will not use it here. I suppose the system is just so vast that it's quite difficult to make it run smoothly.
    Enjoy your soup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Joanne has it right about the dye in the wool. It makes so much sense now for a pair of socks I have which I cannot wear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the problem with the IRS is the pandemic and not DeJoy though he has certainly caused a lot of trouble. The IRS has a backlog of mailed forms because agents are working from home so the only forms that are /were getting processed were the ones submitted digitally.

    We finally got our test kits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellen, yes that may all be correct. However, as I said, somebody at the IRS opened my return and processed the check in less than five days from mailing. And now they claim not to have received it. Both of those things can't be true at once.

    Mary, this relates to last year, not this year. I might yet file electronically this year. They owe me a tiny amount so I haven't been rushing.

    Marie, yes, some dyes are fairly allergenic. I'm trusting these socks go to someone who can wear them happily.

    Mary Moon, yes I can surmise what the word is! And considering that I've been using Medicare for close on 20 years, with never the slightest hitch, another giant operation, why can't the IRS work better. There are improvements I'd like to see in Medicare, but accuracy is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our income tax has been filed electronically for quite some time (we get H&R Block to do ours because I flatly refuse to have anything to do with figuring it out). Electronic filing, if you are due for a refund, means you'll get your money a whole lot quicker.
    At the moment here most drug stores are giving rapid test kits out for free. The trick is finding a store that still has some in stock. I managed to get a box today and wish I had thought to send Resident Chef in to get one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!