Saturday, January 30, 2021

Self care on a winter weekend

 Bitter cold and windy, even the sunshine is not tempting me out.  But it's a good time to catch up on things I promised myself to cook.  Here are some of the frozen sweet potato gnocchi, and a couple of hot Italian sausages, plus while I was running a hot oven, heads of garlic roasting to make a garlic spread

The gnocchi were frozen uncooked, so they have to do the diving into boiling water phase first, before they go into a 400F oven to roast for about 20 minutes. I just plunged them in still frozen, made no difference. Sausage was frozen, just thawed enough to skin them, then same oven, same period.



The garlic needed about 20 minutes more, still in a hot oven, doused liberally with olive oil.  When it's cool, I'll squeeze out the softened garlic, great for a spread.  You can use this all over the place, specially good for garlic bread.


 
And here's lunch.  Also another helping of same for tomorrow.
 

 And everywhere is evidence of my industry, now doing humble duty in the kitchen.  Left a painted tote bag, I made a lot of these at one time, and taught other people how to, great fun.  Stuffed with my hand-knitted face cloths now relegated to be kitchen and floor cloths, but sturdy? you can't wear them out.  I made them in order to try out new stitch patterns as well as to have useful things.  On the right is the bag I wove years ago, using a pattern from the Weaving without a Loom book, and still holding up after much use, now stuffed with kitchen cloths.  I don't use paper in the kitchen, but I do use a lot of cloths.


Some blessed soul has suddenly started uploading some of my favorite books in audio form on YouTube.  Here's a Georgette Heyer. And they have excellent readers, who understand the text and the humor and where the  emphasis should go.  Which is more than I can say for a lot of the audiobooks on the library apps, which are strictly amateur night at the Bijou.  This book accompanied today's spinning, plying and cooking.

Onward, new reading on my Kindle, Lisa See never fails when I'm wondering what would be nice to read next.  And since I got it via the library app which lets me download onto my Kindle, not onto a device with a refreshing screen, which gives me migraine, all the better.

 So I guess I'm set.  Keep warm, if this applies!  Find your snowshovel, that's advice to me, since it's outside in the storage closet, and I may need it to dig the door open..

14 comments:

  1. I'm so lazy today! I'm trying not to beat myself up for that. I read "China Doll." I liked it.
    Love your bag, too. I do love a good bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect your version of lazy is like a lot of people's busy!

      Delete
  2. I read a lot of Georgette Heyer's historical fiction when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth rereading as an adult who catches all the nuances.

      Delete
  3. I read Georgette as a child and later as an adult, from a friend's collection.
    I use cloth in the kitchen, too. The hardest thing I taught my granddaughters. I bought them a roll of paper towels about one a quarter, when it was gone, so be it. They developed horrible habits from their mother and from my brother in law. He would reel off half a dozen sheets at a time to mop everything, including his bald head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloth in the kitchen here, to. You've struck a chord!

    I never would have thought to look on YouTube for audiobooks, but...there they are!

    That lunch - looks good enough to eat!!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than one person has tried to correct me when I talk about audiobooks on YouTube! They assume I mean videos. Noo. There are tons of audiobooks, especially since the pandemic when people have been in overdrive uploading.

      Delete
  5. You are all set. Perfect! I hope you don’t need the shovel though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got up to 18" forecast, and high winds. So I may. Fortunately none of the helpful neighbors are away from home.

      Delete
  6. I hope you are okay and found the shovel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow started several hours ahead of schedule. I'd already brought indoors the shovel and the brush I sweep off the car with. Also put out an extra block of suet at the bird feeder while I was at it.
      Fine as of now. Up to two feet forecast at this point. Son texted he's safe home from work.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a lovely way to spend a weekend. I hope it was cozy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the reminder about Georgette Heyer books. I read a number of them when I was in my teens and I know it's time for a revisit. I'm behind in my commenting once again so I already know you survived the storm. Nevertheless, it's worrying to know it's coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Heyer again. She never fails. Some of her lines have amused me for years.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!