Thursday, January 28, 2021

House Cleaner day adventures

The house cleaners were back today, so it was once more time for me to figure out an adventure to have so as to leave the house to them, without being underfoot while they go through the place like a family of whirlwinds.

Bitterly cold, also windy, not conducive to nice strolls, and it was grey out when I was making plans, not conducive to feeling like going out at all.  But still she persisted.  And I realized I still had not done the Annual Witchhazel Hunt.

Ah, here's a good thing to do, I thought. Usually I walk there, since it's on the edge of a local park, where the bus shelter is, which structure may account for its survival after a lot of severe weather.

But nowadays in extreme cold, that's a bit too far to walk. But why not drive there on my way to other destinations, self, I asked myself.  Parking lot right there.  And I did, and found that I was not quite too late to catch some of it in bloom.  I was a bit late to the party, since usually the first or second week of January is the best time.  But, as you see, I did score a couple of twigs, and scurried back to the car to get warm again.

I noticed that I'd got two species. Witchhazel grows a bit like forsythia, masses of branches coming up from the ground in parallel, so this may be two species that are just growing as close neighbors.  I picked the twigs off what appeared to be one bush.


And you'll see one set of yellowish flowers, one of the classic red wild starburst design.  You'll see how tiny these are, imperceptible if you don't know they're there. And you can see further down the stem, the bell-like shapes that appear after the flowers have blossomed and gone.  The flowers will smell interesting once they get warmed through in the house. It's always such a treat to find flowering shrubs in the depths of the winter, and this winter definitely has its depths, what with one thing and another.

Then came a couple of dull errands, dvd back to the library, Target for a couple of vital things I forgot to ask Handsome Son to pick up, including paper tape, that invention that people are now using to tape the top of the face mask so as to avoid fogging up your glasses.  This is very important right now, since as soon as I leave the house, the glasses, warm from the house, fog over instantly, and it's not just fog.  It's almost instantly ice, which is a different thing to get rid of.  Not good for driving.

Anyway, after that, off to find new views, and I decided to go up to Cranbury, since I was halfway there already, left Target by the back way, headed up a country road, to the old village of Cranbury where half the houses are Revolutionary period, complete with plaques to prove it, and the graveyard holds locals for three centuries. Including the person who was the first traffic fatality in the region.  Fell out of his carriage after a very good day's trading and celebrating in Philadelphia, a real own goal if ever there was one, he probably thought as the wheels passed over his helpless form.  Poor guy.

Anyway, that's for another time when the weather's nice enough to stroll about and take pictures for your viewing pleasure.  Today I thought it would be good to watch moving water with sun sparkling on it.

So I went here, the park on the banks of Brainerd Lake, moving water, complete with all kinds of ducks and fishing birds.  Many diving ducks today, too far for good pictures, but the very good part about this place is that you can sit in your car with a perfect view. There are benches near the water, where I like to go to and read in good weather.  

Handsome Partner, after he had lost a lot of mobility, loved to come here, and I could help him do just the few yards from car to bench where he could enjoy being out of the house, and with plenty to see on and around the water.

And this is where I came to sit after I'd made the arrangements after his death, at the funeral home just a few yards from the park.  It was a calming and helpful place that day, as well as many others.


I hadn't planned on birds today, so I didn't have my binoculars with me, so I'll have to look up the waterbirds by memory.  I think there were coots and some other species, all swimming together.

I came home to a clean house, feeling much better about everything.  Amazing what a bit of sunshine and fresh air, however frigid, will do for a person.

22 comments:

  1. That's a good tip on the paper tape. We're double masking now since Arizona's numbers are so horrible and getting worse, and that has upped the fogging factor on my glasses. Can't see anything in the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please explain to me this magical paper tape that stops glasses fogging up, what is it, and how does it work. I am in desperate need. Where do I get some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the band-aid section of the pharmacy. Mine looks like scotch tape on a dispenser roll. It's low tack, so it will stick to skin but come off painlessly when you unmask. I haven't done it yet, but the idea is to run it across the top of the mask to stop warm breath from rising and fogging up your glasses.it sticks to you and your mask.
      I'm double masking too, surgical one inside cloth one.
      I think the tape's worth a try.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will have a look, currently not going anywhere, it's -13C out there.... your equivalent is 8.6F.

      Delete
  3. It looks like it was a beautiful, if bitterly cold day. What a pretty view from that spot by the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the kind of day best enjoyed through glass. Beautiful.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen real witch hazel -- interesting! I know it only as a soothing liquid purchased from the pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same stuff. Hamamelis. Various kinds. I'm not sure which part of it yields the witch hazel liquid we know of. It's a tiny, very dramatic blossom.

      Delete
  5. If we have any tree pruning left to do at this time of year - apple, pear, plum - we usually sort out a few of the nicest bits and bring them inside, put them in water, and they spring to life and even blossom. Brings a touch of Spring early, but also a touch of sadness because you know they won't live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to do that too. Dogwood, flowering cherry.

      Delete
  6. Your witch hazel blossoms remind me of our tea olive blossoms. So tiny but so mighty.
    Isn't it amazing how water is such a universal comfort for us? I remember moving to Denver when I was 18 and realizing that there was no real water there. I was from a place where there were lakes everywhere, rivers, and two different oceans within a few hours drive. I absolutely went insane and I think that lack of water had a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived on Wisconsin for a couple of years, where there were plenty of small lakes. But I couldn't breathe till we got to NJ and the coast. We both grew up close to a northern coast, and as soon as we got to NJ, we went to the shore just to see it. On trips to California I made a point of getting to the Pacific coast, even if it was on the wrong side of the land!

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos. I specially like the bench by the water. I'd like a place like that here. Hmmm - wonder if I can grow witch hazel here? I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may be a more northern shrub, but why not try it.

      Delete
  8. I couldn’t agree more. Nature rejuvenates us. It looks lovely at the lake. You have great memories there and find comfort there too. It is a perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Witch hazel! Thank you for the kick in the seat of the pants. I just looked out the office window and sure enough, ours is in full bloom. As you say, the flowers are inconspicuous, and I had completely forgotten to watch for them.

    For Pam: According to the USDA database, Hamamelis virginiana does grow naturally in some parts of Texas: https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=HAVI4. Definitely worth a try.

    And a good excuse for an outdoor-in-car adventure. Sounds like you and the car got along well today.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I say, unless you know it's there, you're liable to miss witch hazel entirely.

      The car has cheered up considerably lately, as has its driver. Today is bitterly cold, and I will go out to get the mail in a bit and run it then.

      Delete
  10. I think I read that in Japan, doctors prescribe a walk in the woods for minor depression. I think lakes and rivers would suffice as well. and like Pam, my sister, says above, I wish we had a place like that around here. we have a river that runs through town but the banks are steep and there's no place to sit on a bench and watch it flow. plus, it's a muddy silty river. Texas has clear rivers but not down here in this part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there's a term for that forest cure. I expect it's another way of letting nature unfold around you. Watching ducks is good, too.

      Delete
  11. I don't think I've ever seen witch hazel in the plant form so that was interesting to see. The park looks like a lovely spot although I'm sure it's even nicer when it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely best seen through glass this time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!