Saturday, January 23, 2021

Saturday, so pizza

I decline to worry today about any damn thing. Biden's taking the evening off, and I'm taking the whole day. 

Not knowing exactly what to have for lunch today, I thought, ah, I have mushrooms and sausage, in the freezer,  that suggests pizza.  So I made a batch of that yogurt dough I made once before, and set to work.  Skinned and chunked the sausages,  lovely hot chicken ones, mushrooms I'd sliced before I froze them, red onions and garlic cooked till nicely almost brown, tomato ketchup and paste mixed as a diy tomato topping, parmesan cheese grated ready.
 

 Here's the dough, kneaded, enought for two pizzas, resting under plastic while I get on with the toppings

Here's the first pizza dough ready to transfer to the sizzling hot castiron pan. I used all three of them for this adventure, and notice my bench scraper in the background. I got two of them, they came in a set, very cheap, from a catalog, and I have had amazing use out of them.  I feel like a carpenter when I use them, too.

Mushrooms sauteing in butter and olive oil, added Thai basil and a sprinkling of flour to make a sauce, sausage browning in the background, onions and garlic in waiting.

First side cooked, then turned over, toppings added, cover clapped on to let it cook about five minutes till everything's done. The second pizza I did likewise, to the point where the toppings are on, the second side still needs to cook, so it will be a fresh pizza when it comes out of the freezer, better than a warmed up one. I even remembered to leave a note to self reminding me what I'd done.


And a great lunch, after which I lay about like a python for a while.

Then tonight's viewing pleasure Gosford Park, which I've seen at least twice, but there are always more things to notice, and the production is beyond brilliant.


Not to mention that the cast is A-list start to finish. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Colin Firth had a walk-on part as an underfootman in this context..and Jennifer Ehle was understudying the housekeeper's assistant.

So there's where we are chez Boud this freezing cold January night.

17 comments:

  1. Pizza is the perfect food alright! And "Gosford Park" is a good movie. It's been years since I've seen it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made me hungry reading this. Time for my dinner, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It's pretty good. Simple, too. All the veggies from Misfits.

      Delete
  4. I saw the first photo, and immediately went to the kitchen and made a nice grilled cheese.
    Good looking pizza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pizzas look amazing! I love the idea of skillet pizza. I have iron skillets of every size now, and I use them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine now have a nice glassy sheen, from using them a lot.

      Delete
  6. we had homemade pizza for dinner last night. only we cheat and buy the crust dough in a can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pizza looks great. I never freeze mushrooms but it’s a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They freeze just fine. I wipe and slice and freeze. Done. The flavor is wonderful as they cook.

      Delete
  8. My favorite pizza is mushroom pizza. It may sound sad to some, but I love the squeaky mushrooms from a jar or can on top of pizza. It harkens back to my childhood. True comfort food. It's good to know fresh mushrooms can be frozen. When I buy them to use in cooking, too often they turn questionable before I manage to use them. I almost always only buy them discounted for that reason. Of course, buying discounted mushrooms may be why they turn on me so fast. :^/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try freezing them! I've been very happy with how they've turned out. In fact I've ordered more in this week's Misfits box.

      Delete
  9. Pizza is one of my most favourite foods. Never had it at all until I was an adult and I'm still happy when it's on the menu.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!